Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,881,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
No one ever talks about darkskin fully black looking women.
even if they did, you would just find a way to discount them 'who her?..sorry not black enough' How you continue to be able to post your typical race card rhetoric on here I don't know.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:37 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,458,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
I just got told that on a thread. Is that kind of view prevalent...that black women should only wear their hair kinky and/or not alter their hair color as they see fit? Is there a certain look that's "wrong for your race"?
To me back women who straighten or dye their hair are no different than white women who go to the tanning salon. I don't see anything wrong any of these scenarios.

I find comments like the ones you mentioned a bit paternalistic.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,545,324 times
I think black women with natural hair are beautiful and believe that the world has sadly turned us away from natural beauty.

Then again, I wish I were born with a lighter hair color so that I didn't have to color it!

I wish we could all be happy with what we were born with.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,916,708 times
Quote:
Pear Martini, you are being very disrespectful and quite racist. There are plenty of white women who wear fake body parts..why don't you call them out?

I'm kinda tired of people's obsession with what black women do to their hair. Mind your own goddamn business

How am I being racist? This question isn't about race. I know there must be white women out there as well that wear false hair and also have boob jobs at the same time.

I really don't know much about what black women do to their hair besides from what is shown in the Chris Rock documentary called Hair but I'm pretty sure most black women don't wear weaves and have fake racks..so how is this racist?

Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I bet your hair is beautiful! Thick and wavy - don't even TRY to make that gorgeous stuff straight!

My youngest daughter (first photo, in retro bathing suit) is in the US Air Force. My oldest daughter (sitting in second photo) is a stay at home mom who home schools four kids. Her husband is in the US Air Force.

Both have done some modeling.

You should see their kids!!!!!!! GORGEOUS with fabulous hair! My oldest daughter's husband is "plain vanilla." One of their girls is olive complected, with butterscotch blonde curls and the biggest bluest eyes you've ever seen! One has very pale skin, with brunette ringlets and jet black eyes, and one has light brown, loose curls, a medium complexion, and large, almond shaped light brown eyes and beautiful full lips.

My youngest daughter's husband is 1/2 Italian, 1/4 Panamanian, and 1/4 Puerto Rican. Whew. Their girls have BEAUTIFUL hair - thick, jet black curls. One looks straight up Latino, one looks straight up African American, and one is still very little so the jury's out!

Wow. Your granddaughters sounds beautiful. Family pictures must be great to see such diverse beauty all together

Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Stop giving me the opportunity to play that card

People are obsessed with what black women do to their hair. I deal with it everyday and I wear my real hair. White, black, asian are always playing Inspector Gadget by looking all up in my damn scalp trying to see if my hair is real or fake. It's sickening. And they are just JEALOUS and hoping my hair is fake. One of these days I might go off on somebody. I'm tired of people (especially Whites) thinking they have the authority to have a say in how black women wear our

If xxabee wants to wear fake hair its HER business. It's not like the alternate is viewed any better by society (natural hair) Plenty of white women are wearing fake body parts and no one calls them out on it.

This truth is in this life no one ever thinks about you or anyone else as much as you think they do. Everyone is busy taking care of and thinking of themselves. I really don't give a crap what you or any woman does to her hair. Yes I love how natural hair looks on black women...that doesn't mean anything. I'm entitled to my own opinion even if I'm as white as the moon.

Also, it's one thing to have fake hair regardless of race. It's another thing to have fake hair, fake ****, and other fake body parts all in one. That is drag-queen esque, unnatural, and downright creepy.

Quote:
Likewise.

Some of you act like you own black women, and that you have the authority to tell us how we should wear our hair. Well guess what, I am no one's property and I will wear my damn hair the way I want to. and anybody who has a problem with it will get a huge verbal smackdown
I really never have noticed this on CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
This is why it isn't good to post pics on CD.
I see EVeryone who has posted a pic get attacked.

Some advice.....just don't.

But I gather Pear Martini would say the same for all of Hollywood and drag queens.
Hollywood is different because those people are in show business. Most of the refined celebs don't seem to be looking extra manufactured either.

Quote:
It's nothing but GAME. They have an ulterior motive for liking black women in natural hair because they know it eliminates the competition. And it gives them enough leverage to attack any black woman who wears weaves/wigs (which is a large majority of us)

I've worn my hair natural and never got any white folks telling me its so beautiful. all I got was strange and curious looks. even had a white lady tell me that my hair scared her.

People are so fake online. In real life, when you wear your hair natural as a black woman, life can become VERY tough.

Telling a black woman that her hair (or weave) and texture is wrong for her race is racist.
Kinky hair can be flat ironed straight, it can be curled, it can be crimped. It can be worn natural. White people don't have a patent on straight hair.

People need to get rid of this idea that all black women have to wear afros, braids or twists. No the fluck we don't.

That's why I say they are racist. They understand it but they play dumb like they don't get it. Perhaps they want her to wear her hair natural so she can't get a job. it eliminates the competition for them. they'd rather see her in natural hair, unemployed and on food stamps/welfare.

very true

This is downright insane. No one thinks all black women need to wear natural hair but some of us actually prefer the look.
Less competition? How do you function in the world with such a horrible attitude. I always notice black runway models who have beautiful big natural hair or short natural hair and it's beautiful. Also when I'm browsing online for hair care tips I often stumble on sites like this
Black Girl with Long Hair

No this is not "an obsession with black hair" it is that I have very dry long hair that benefits from oils and other tricks that are mentioned on that site.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Also if black women don't wear weave then black men complain that our hair is not long enough...so you put some weave in and they STILL complain because its not real. most don't like natural hair so what does that leave a black woman to do? its a tough situation.

WOW! This is like if I said:

White guys love long hair but when my hair is long guys complain that it takes me 3 hours to wash it and it's high maintenance and always in the way. Then he complains and thinks I'm high maintenance but if I have short hair than he complains that it's not long enough and tells me I should grow it out. Whats a white/latin/whatever woman to do?

Whats a woman to do? Put on your big girl shoes, find a therapist, and grow a backbone.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM

706 posts, read 1,181,484 times
Whew...this place is better than daytime soap-operas. I need to have popcorn on hand when I log on!

DRAMA!

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly. She is speaking from a European perspective so in her eyes, she thinks they have the most "challenging" and kinkiest hair. she obviously has never seen or touched the hair of an authentic black woman like mine. I have very coarse hair but I don't find it challenging to manage at all
LOL!!! So half black people are not authentically black? What grade are you in?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,788,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
even if they did, you would just find a way to discount them 'who her?..sorry not black enough' How you continue to be able to post your typical race card rhetoric on here I don't know.
Ditto this. I and others have posted multiple pictures of dark skinned beauties. They're usually conveniently ignored or discredited as "not black enough".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care