Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 AM

35 posts, read 219,195 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

So, I just moved to the Denver area and live in Thornton, CO. I started going to an Aveda salon in Westminser, CO which is a suburb northwest of Denver, and was shocked at how much they charge for a relaxer (permanent chemical hair straightener). When I go get a relaxer at non-Aveda salons I've never paid more than $70 and the relaxer wasn't even on the list of services but they told me they do them. I saw a type of straightener on it and saw the price of $70 so I assumed it would be $70 but they never gave me a price. Imagine my surprise when they come back and charge me $140! I go there because they're close to work and do good work.

I go once a month for a wash ($40) or cut ($45) and tip $5 for those. But every 3 months I go get a relaxer and still tip $5. This makes my beauty budget (without tips or products) a minimum of $840/yr. Well....my friend got onto me about how I tip so little and that I should tip more and that they work off their tips. But I figured with my budget being so high (going once a month AND buying all their products) staying with a tip of $5 each time I go was alright. Also, I read online that they work on commission and read some people don't tip as much since their beauty budget is so high, such as people with short hair who go once a month for a cut and color.

My questions is....how much do Aveda stylist make? Do they really make commission? And for someone that goes once a month already having a large beauty budget is $5 for a relaxer ($140) ok to tip?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
I also go to an Aveda salon and love it, but I'm not sure how much their stylists make or whether they make commission or not. Nonetheless, I always tip 20% (or more) on any services, regardless of how frequently I go. Here in NYC, 20% is the normal tip percentage. In Ohio, it may be different, but I certainly wouldn't tip below the norm.

Frankly, if you can't afford or don't want to tip up to standard at the Aveda salon, I suggest you go elsewhere where prices are closer to what you are used to rather than stiff the stylist. JMO

Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM

I just read where one person went to the salon and ended up spending $400 in one day, so you believe giving a $80 tip is reasonable? I honestly don't think it is. Also, I was just told they make commission, so it's not like they make less than minimum wage like waiters who live off tips. Also, when did giving a tip suddenly become a "requirement"? A tip is suppose to be based on service provided so why not make the tip apart of the service price?

I know when I go to a restaurant I tip well if the service is great, 20% or more, also because waiters make below minimum wage. But if a place is working on commission, like Aveda, where they can make 40% commission, that's alot on a $140 bill.

Also, to your comment on "stiffing" the stylist. When someone makes that much commission and a tip is what it is, a tip, I don't think it's stiffing them. Especially if you always bring them business. Just my thoughts.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
If I can't afford a particular salon, I don't go there. That means, if I can't afford the service AND a standard (or higher) tip, I won't go there. I would find a less expensive salon and go there.

I don't care if the stylist is working on a salary, commission, or whatever. NOT my business!

I think a $5 tip on a $140 service is definitely stiffing the sylist. First, it takes quite a while to do a relaxer. For the time they take to do a relaxer, they could have serviced 2 or 3 other people.

For a $40-$45 service, I would tip probably $10. For a $140 service, I would probably give a $25-$30 tip.

Believe me, keep giving $5 tips, you're going to get a rep where no one is going to want to work on you. No one wants to spend 2 hours working on someone's hair to get a $5 tip.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:27 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,433,487 times
Just go to the Aveda salon for your relaxer, then find a cheaper salon for your trims and once-a-month care. Or just get a trim with the touch-up and don't go once a month. That way, you may be able to tip well on the most important service -- the relaxer (plus trim). The $5 tip for a $140 is low.

Maybe you can stretch your relaxer and only go every four months? Also, Aveda products are nice (and they smell good), but they are expensive. Can you find cheaper but quality substitutes?

Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Just go to the Aveda salon for your relaxer, then find a cheaper salon for your trims and once-a-month care. Or just get a trim with the touch-up and don't go once a month. That way, you may be able to tip well on the most important service -- the relaxer (plus trim). The $5 tip for a $140 is low.

Maybe you can stretch your relaxer and only go every four months? Also, Aveda products are nice (and they smell good), but they are expensive. Can you find cheaper but quality substitutes?
--------

Going every 3 months IS stretching it, usually people go every 2 months for a relaxer but I go every 3 months to avoid damaging my hair as much. It's VERY hard to find something that will work with relaxed hair I used to use Chi but they changed their formula after they were sold and my hair started breaking off. I've tried ALOT of stuff....

Also, a wash is 1hr and $40, a cut is 1hr and $45....a relaxer is 2hr and $140 (no cut, just relaxer and wash since a trim equates to a cut which is an extra $45 )....so she's making a minimum of $28/hr when she does a relaxer if she makes 40% (which is a level 1 stylist). Jamie is a level 4 out of the 5 level so I KNOW she makes a higher percentage. Since she's on commission I don't see it as stiffing them. Another reason is because I'm a regular so I'm constantly bring them business. I also read some people don't tip as much due to going regularly.

If you tip 20% for services then you should also tip the guy that changes you oil or comes in to fix your water heater. They may make just as much as a stylist.

I found a blog on this where a TON of people have commented. Some gave 20%, some $5, one even said she may tip sometimes and not others, I really liked one girl's comment about just tipping $5 for every hour they work on you......an Aveda stylist, Amanda, even replied at this blog
Raechel Myers | Finding My Feet | tips, please!:

"I am a hairstylist chiming in here! I hope this is okay! I do not believe you should tip a percentage. I love in a small town, Iowa but work at a very high end salon with Aveda products and color. My cuts are $40 and hilites are $90+. I have some clients that come every 4 weeks for both of those services and some that come quarterly. 95% of my clients book their appointments a full year in advance because they don’t want to lose their spots. I would say that you should tip based on the work that you get or even how often you go (a little more if you don’t have to go often). We give complimentary drinks, massages and parrain dips with services so those feel good things do help with the ticket price. Remember that most hairstylists are like waitresses in the sense that they are being paid commission, they are on their feet all day, they have no paid vacation and no health insurance. We are expected to make you feel absolutely awesome by the time you walk out the door. My goal is to make my clients look and feel so beautiful that they don’t even think about how much their check is. I know that is how I expect to feel after spending close to $200 on myself. As women we so often put ourselves last, so it is okay to look and feel good even if it means spending a little cash!"

I honestly agree more with Amanda on tipping according to service and how often I go rather than just handing over 20%. I also like another girl's idea on tipping $5/hr of service. Also, I honestly don't believe giving 20% means you can "afford" it. It just means you want to give 20%. A tip is just that, a tip, based on services rendered. It's not a requirement.

So, before everyone jumps on me thinking I'm "stiffing" a stylist, read the blog I linked above to hear other people's point of view to understand I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
my girlfriend makes more in tips than 5 dollars a person and shes just the assistant!

She doesn't work at an aveda salon, but instead one of the top salons in the country.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,288 times
You can rationalize it any way you like and I'm sure you can find people who agree with you, but the fact is you don't tip well. Either accept it and move on or tip an appropriate amount.

You say tips should be based on services but you also say they do a good job at Aveda and that is why you go there, so do they do a good job or do they do a job worthy of a 3.5%?

Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Keep justifying it.

You missed this part of the stylist's post:

We give complimentary drinks, massages and parrain dips with services so those feel good things do help with the ticket price. Remember that most hairstylists are like waitresses in the sense that they are being paid commission, they are on their feet all day, they have no paid vacation and no health insurance. We are expected to make you feel absolutely awesome by the time you walk out the door.

I'm very curious as to how you tip at restaurants? I have a feeling you probably stiff the wait staff since "it's their job and they're getting paid"

As the previous poster said: The fact is, you don't tip well.

You said yourself they do a good job and tips should be based on services but in the same breath, you're talking about how much you THINK they earn --- which is 1. none of your business and 2. has nothing to do with tipping. If they're doing a good job on your hair, you should tip them accordingly, not insult them with a $5 tip after they've worked on you for an hour or two.

I, personally, would be embarassed to give a $5 tip on ANY service, regardless how often you go there.

As for the person you mentioned that spent $400 at the salon? I would bet a lot of that was on products, so the tip wouldn't be on the entire $400. IF the entire $400 was on services then, yes, the tip should be $80 or more because I'm sure that person spent many hours there being serviced.

Again, as the previous poster stated, you don't tip well. Accept that FACT and move on! You obviously know you're not right in tipping $5 and your friend brought that to your attention. You came here hoping to get some backup and didn't. Move on.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Keep justifying it.

You missed this part of the stylist's post:

We give complimentary drinks, massages and parrain dips with services so those feel good things do help with the ticket price. Remember that most hairstylists are like waitresses in the sense that they are being paid commission, they are on their feet all day, they have no paid vacation and no health insurance. We are expected to make you feel absolutely awesome by the time you walk out the door.

I'm very curious as to how you tip at restaurants? I have a feeling you probably stiff the wait staff since "it's their job and they're getting paid"

As the previous poster said: The fact is, you don't tip well.

You said yourself they do a good job and tips should be based on services but in the same breath, you're talking about how much you THINK they earn --- which is 1. none of your business and 2. has nothing to do with tipping. If they're doing a good job on your hair, you should tip them accordingly, not insult them with a $5 tip after they've worked on you for an hour or two.

I, personally, would be embarassed to give a $5 tip on ANY service, regardless how often you go there.

As for the person you mentioned that spent $400 at the salon? I would bet a lot of that was on products, so the tip wouldn't be on the entire $400. IF the entire $400 was on services then, yes, the tip should be $80 or more because I'm sure that person spent many hours there being serviced.

Again, as the previous poster stated, you don't tip well. Accept that FACT and move on! You obviously know you're not right in tipping $5 and your friend brought that to your attention. You came here hoping to get some backup and didn't. Move on.
Also, I have read ALL of what the stylist said, including the comment you underlined. I even said how, based on the blog I read, how I would look at tipping. She also said she WOULDN'T tip based on a percentage which it seems like all of you are completely ignoring. She said she would tip based on services and how often you go.

With that being said, if you read in my last comment how I was trying to state how I got insight from the blog and would consider tipping....why are we still talking percentage? I don't go once a year....once every 6 months....or once a quarter....I go every month, some times twice a month.

And no...some services are not priced according to hours....A wash is 1hr ($40) and getting color is 1hr ($150) so by the same person you should still tip 20% for both when they spend the same amount of time? This is why she said don't tip base it on percentage, meaning it can be based on how long they spend providing the service.

Also, you're right, how much they make is none of my business and I have never personally asked. Also, salaries are posted online so you can do research and look it up. And just so you know, I didn't ask my stylist how much she makes and don't plan too. I don't make it a point to pry into someone life or to ask how much they make. And I don't think, I KNOW, they make commission at Aveda. In fact, alot of stylists do make commission.

You asked how I tip at restaurants, I actually tip pretty well, Usually +20%, such as when I go to Fogo De Chao (a Brazillian resturant) or Texas Roadhouse. But I also don't go out to eat often, MAYBE once every 3 months if that. I took a friend out to eat for Xmas with a $70 bill, one waiter I particularly like and is always very attentive and quick to respond, I gave him and another waiter $5 (cash) and tipped $20 on the bill. In our culture we KNOW waiters don't make much which is the reason for the tip to make up more income. Did you ever consider that when you see the receipt asking for a tip that you may assume everything you tip should be 20% since it's the norm as far as waiters? Also, once again a tip is a tip....you tip what you can.

And I did NOT come here to get back up. BELIEVE ME, I actually talked to my friend and she said in her experience they all just make minimum wage but she didn't see as much as a problem as you guys do since I..... 1. go often .....and 2. they make a nice commission.

In our culture, most waiters make less than minimum wage. It's the norm in our society to tip waiters 10-20% based on the service they provide due to the low income. I also saw a facebook post about a pastor that wrote on his bill, "I give GOD 10%, why do you get 18%?" and didn't even give him a tip. I was actually appalled by that. So yes, I tip waiters a higher percentage since due to our society since they don't even make much in the first place and most l iterally count on tips.

And by the way....since typing can be misinterpreted since we're not face to face. Only 1-2 people in my opinion did not appear completely rude. I am open to have a CALM discussion about tipping and your honest opinion. You don't know me personally or what I am like so I don't believe my method of tipping should be (in your opinion) a negative judge of my character. You have NO right to judge me. Also, my responses are not me trying to justify ANYTHING. I didn't ask for you approval but your opinion. So once again I open to hearing your OPINION and have an adult discussion. But if your gonna harp on me about my method of tipping and make it sound like I'm some person that occasionally skips paying their bill then don't bother replying.

Thanks for you time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care