Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 PM

188 posts, read 406,115 times

Advertisements

I saw a woman with her little girls a few days ago and they all had locks. The girls looked so cute, and their locks were crinkly as if they were recently taken out of braids. It made me think about whether or not I could do that when I do decide to have children. But it seems a bit unfair, locks are so permanent...Unless you decide to start over again. Even if its not with locks, Im all for keeping little girls natural for as long as possible, and instilling a love and appreciate of their hair.

How do you style your daughters natural hair? Cornrows/Beads? Ponytails& Barrettes? Locks? How will/have you deal/dealt with the pressure to straighten their hair as they approach they're tween/teen years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM

188 posts, read 406,115 times
uhh ohh, perhaps those kiddie perms are flying off the shelf, a higher rate than I initially thought...

Old 03-01-2013, 06:51 PM

400 posts, read 1,508,746 times
u should check you tube or hair dedicated sites for suggestions. good luck.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:52 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,434,145 times
I do braids, twists, a bun here and there, and today I did a wash and go on my daughter's hair. I will do more twist-outs and braid-outs as she gets older. She is requesting more straightened hair, which I won't do. But I will do more roller sets, which can be put into ponytails easily, to satisfy her yearning for more "out" hairstyles. In the summer, I will put some cornrows in. But for some reason, she hasn't wanted beads for the last few years.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
My grown daughters are biracial. Thankfully, they both wear their hair au naturale. Here are a few pics of them:

Old 03-05-2013, 02:43 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,939 times
wow. beautful hair.beautiful girls.

Old 03-06-2013, 10:02 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamgirl84 View Post
I saw a woman with her little girls a few days ago and they all had locks. The girls looked so cute, and their locks were crinkly as if they were recently taken out of braids. It made me think about whether or not I could do that when I do decide to have children. But it seems a bit unfair, locks are so permanent...Unless you decide to start over again. Even if its not with locks, Im all for keeping little girls natural for as long as possible, and instilling a love and appreciate of their hair.

How do you style your daughters natural hair? Cornrows/Beads? Ponytails& Barrettes? Locks? How will/have you deal/dealt with the pressure to straighten their hair as they approach they're tween/teen years?
I don't have a daughter yet, but if and when I do, I will style her natural hair in all the ways mentioned above, and then if she wants to lock her hair when she gets older, then she can. I am completely against chemicals. Straight perms are damaging both physically and psychologically. Natural hair is always the best. There is a new book out called "Better Than Good Hair". There is a chapter on children's hair.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:10 PM

910 posts, read 2,292,681 times
I agree that little girls should be encouraged to wear their hair natural and be proud of it. I'm a Latina from a country where there's still a lot of pressure about wearing hair straight, I think in part because they have not taken the time to LEARN how to deal with the different types of curls and waves over there. My mother had wavy but coarse hair and lots of it and when young she wore it natural and she looked good, but women in general love change and then she began chemically straightening it and that sort of thing can become addictive because it's too difficult too deal with two textures at the same time, AA ladies who have decided to go natural know what I'm talking about, many after a few months of that struggle just decide to go for what they call "the big chop".

And the best way to deal with all types of curly hair is using the no-shampoo routine or "Co-washing, which is referred to in other threads here. This will keep the curls moisturized and well defined when done correctly, so if you haven't tried it for yourself you might want to consider it, I have lots of links saved and after I check which ones are still current I could give you a couple of them so you can read more about it.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 PM

472 posts, read 570,425 times
What about this?

Dad doing Girls hair with a vacuum cleaner! - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care