Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 10:17 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times

Advertisements

My hair is currently shoulder-length & I am debating getting layers. Not the "Rachel" look from Friends, but just a more modern look? Should I grow my hair out more or get it layered? I feel like it looks kind of dull...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 29,410 times
i mean honestly layered hair is beautiful and it gives you that floppy look and bounce. if you do decide to cut it make sure its something you really want to do. i catch alot of women cutting there hair then cant manage to keep it up. i like ling hair better to be honest but everyones different. if you think you could manage it go for it. but when u cut it your gonna want to grow it back lol because u may get tired of the short cuts. but good luck

Old 02-06-2014, 07:20 AM

15,629 posts, read 10,383,806 times
Layers require lots of upkeep and frequent cutting. If your hair is thick, layers look great. If thin, not so much.

Have you asked your stylist what s/he suggests for a new style? I find they have many good ideas for a new haircut.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
You could also consider angles as opposed to layers---it will still give you a change, but not so drastic.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
You could also consider angles as opposed to layers---it will still give you a change, but not so drastic.
What are angles? My hair is thick...but I am worried about "long layers" since my hair is shoulder-length...

Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
The one time in my life that I cut "layers" I regretted it immediately - it looked awful, and all I could do was hide my hair and keep cutting it until it was one length again. These days I keep it shoulder length with curled bangs and shorter pieces framing my face. That satisfies my need for layers. I would think long and hard before you do this.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:11 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
My hair is very thick and shoulder length. It's odd in that the top portion is straight, but underneath is very wavy and can get frizzy. My stylist layers it around the top to give it more height, and around the face, but it doesn't really look layered, if that makes sense. I guess she mostly texturizes my hair to get rid of excess bulk, and shapes it. I go in for a trim maybe once every 2-3 months.

It took me some time to find the right stylist who understood my hair. She has the same type of hair as me, and takes her time in discussing the look that will look best for my hair type and age. I would recommend starting out very slowly, nothing drastic, and see how you like it, and then go for more if you like the results (I am not sure what "angles" mean, but I've heard my stylist use the term).

Old 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I have long, wavy hair, and long layers suit it best. All one length makes it look heavy and lifeless, but cutting in a few longer layers breaks up the line and gives it additional body. My hair's length varies, depending on the layer from chin-grazing to just below the bra strap. It looks much better this way than when it's all one length. More movement. And because the layers are long, a ton of trimming upkeep isn't necessary.

Having a stylist with wavy hair, also, has been pretty key in getting a good cut.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Layers is the in-thing for hair-style and it is supposed to make one look younger.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM

2,008 posts, read 4,723,344 times
have you thought of doing something like this?

My fiance works at one of the top salons in the world and the owner cut her hair like that (ish). He wants to do a smiley bang instead now though. That's another popular cut that requires pretty much ZERO upkeep. My fiance loves it as it used to take her like 45 minutes to do her hair with styling and everything when it was down to her stomach. No she washes, it towel drys it, and she's good to go. Maybe curls her bangs depending on how they fall. You just have to do a bang trim often so that it doesn't cover your eyes as it's supposed to be at or above your eyebrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care