Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times

Advertisements

Paying big bucks for a haircut/hairstyle does not always guarantee it will be done correctly.

I have at times received the best haircuts at the 'chop shops', it all depends on who is cutting your hair, their attitude, and their skills.

One so called 'master' stylist I went to one time butchered my hair! Fortunately I used a gift card that was given to me so I was not out any money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
In CA I paid anyhwere from $150---$300 for color and cut. Here in NC I pay $80 and that's with the tip!! Now I go every 6 weeks. In CA I went every 4 months if I was lucky. The gal here in NC that does my hair now is so much faster and just as good if not better!! I guess in CA it's to pay their space rent....or for just living in CA.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:26 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm thinking of having my tips frosted.

Thoughts?
Soooooooo many possible answers here. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha

Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 AM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
You can get a good haircut for $80 or a really bad one. But you can also get a great haircut for $15.00. It all depends on the stylist you find. Friends, family, when you see someone in the store that has the haircut you want, ask them who they go to. I manage a chain salon and charge 13.95 for just a cut. I have customers that drive 2 hours for their cuts and color because im consistant. But i also do alot of #2 fades. You just have to ask around.
Good point. I have a childhood friend that is a stylist and I would probably have to shave my head if I didn't have her for my cuts and highlights as I have insanely curly thick hair. I pay $60 for highlights and a cut. So worth the money as in the past I have looked like Annie from the musical, which while cute on her was horrific on me!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:40 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
You can get a good haircut for $80 or a really bad one. But you can also get a great haircut for $15.00. It all depends on the stylist you find. Friends, family, when you see someone in the store that has the haircut you want, ask them who they go to. I manage a chain salon and charge 13.95 for just a cut. I have customers that drive 2 hours for their cuts and color because im consistant. But i also do alot of #2 fades. You just have to ask around.
This is exactly how I found one very good stylist. A co-worker who I had known for several years (and didn't like her hairstyle) suddenly turned up with her hair looking great! I asked her who cut it and it was a stylist at a local Pro-cuts! I went to her and I absolutely loved the way she cut my hair too!

The sad ending to this, though, is not long after that, she decided to "retire" at the ripe old age of 41! So...I'm back to square one again. I have tried expensive to cheap and I still haven't found anyone else I really like yet.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
In CA I paid anyhwere from $150---$300 for color and cut. Here in NC I pay $80 and that's with the tip!! Now I go every 6 weeks. In CA I went every 4 months if I was lucky. The gal here in NC that does my hair now is so much faster and just as good if not better!! I guess in CA it's to pay their space rent....or for just living in CA.
Please don't get me started. In Los Angeles, people charge crazy fees for everything and very often, they don't do a good job. I'm leaving here in a few days. My new car is in the driveway, and I'm in the process of packing my stuff. I am tired of paying so much money for nothing here, and my crap haircut is just the tip of the iceberg....

P.S. I'm headed east over the Rockies to New England.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
I had to smile while reading your post. Sounds so familiar!! My feelings exactly. That's why I am now in NC and loving it. Maybe now I can start "living" and not just existing!!

Old 12-08-2007, 01:38 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,257 times
I know how you feel! I tend to be very conservative with haircuts (wear my hair one length--a little past shoulders--so I only get trims). But I have had some bad experiences getting highlights! Once I had blonde highlights put in my dark hair, and they looked so fake ( white blonde and on me that doesn't look good). I went somewhere else and paid a lot to have the damage repaired!( $100 dollars + $60 for the original botched job )! for me this is a lot of money!

Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachiangirl View Post
I know how you feel! I tend to be very conservative with haircuts (wear my hair one length--a little past shoulders--so I only get trims). But I have had some bad experiences getting highlights! Once I had blonde highlights put in my dark hair, and they looked so fake ( white blonde and on me that doesn't look good). I went somewhere else and paid a lot to have the damage repaired!( $100 dollars + $60 for the original botched job )! for me this is a lot of money!
That's not only for you a lot of money! And one shouldn't pay so much for a bad job. I don't get paid if my works lousy!!!

Hope you don't make more bad experiences.

Will go to the stylist in about 2 weeks. I'm very unsure about what to get. I need a new color and can't decide. Hubby likes it brown with highlights I prefer dark brown to black - so where's the best way?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:55 AM

1,127 posts, read 5,010,146 times
I too have a botched Holidays haircut so am feeling your pain as well. I wanted one of those cute little spiky in the back, parted on the side and across the crown to make a little pouf. I offered to show her a pic in the book and she said she knew what I was talking about; so why do I look like Prince Valiant? I picked up a pack of headbands a week and a half ago. Perhaps we should look into the stock market for headband manufacturers right before the Holidays; we may get rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care