Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM

347 posts, read 425,268 times

Advertisements

I vascillated for years now whether to give blonde hair another round. I'm naturally dark brown, fair skin and blue eyes...I can pull off both light and dark colors. I decided, life's short, why not go back to being blonde? Have fun, stop being so serious, ect...

I had 6 consultations and finally found a gal to lift my hair. She left me with a hideously fake copper blonde red hair - I looked like Pippy Longstocking. I returned to her to have her tone my hair and she makes me a light brown - again not what I asked for!

I attempted four processes with Sally's Beauty Supply chemicals, only to further frustrate myself.

Today I had a 7th consultation and even mentioned just returning to my natural hair color because this "process" has been going on for 3 weeks now and I'm worn out with splotchy apricot hair. He encouraged me to stay light because I was almost there.

Welp, he did a great job...natural looking light blonde and trimmed it up nice. However, I look like I've aged myself 10 years and really don't like it!! I spent waaay too much money on this process too which makes me feel guilty to color it back. I have to live with this situation now...or at least until my roots show.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation? If so, how long did you keep it light or did you dye it dark again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times
This happens to me every three months when I usually have my hair appointment scheduled. If I'm blonde, then I think for weeks about going back to brown... if I'm brown all I want is to go blonde. As soon as I see the results (which are usually NOT what I asked for) I immediately regret my decision and want it back to what it was.

I guess I just want what I don't have

Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I guess I just want what I don't have
I think you're right! I'm the same way....had beautiful, long shiny dark hair and I want it back so badly right now.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 PM

338 posts, read 421,013 times
Heh, I went along with the bleached-hair fad in the late '90s when it was still "in" for guys, and "dude, all the other guys in class are doing it"... well, you live and learn, especially at that age. Oh well, it's only temporary. I wore hats and bandanæ religiously back then anyways (still do) so it wasn't really a huge deal.

I had black-as-ink neck-length* hair before that and still have it now, 15+ years later.

* You know, I hear the mullet fad is starting to resurface...

Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
If you go from dark to light, it might look wrong because of your eyebrows. Nothing looks faker than two big old black eyebrows with blond hair.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If you go from dark to light, it might look wrong because of your eyebrows. Nothing looks faker than two big old black eyebrows with blond hair.
That's the thing, I don't have two big, black old eyebrows. They're a medium brown and I always fill them in with pencil, even when I was a brunette. I just look washed out.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:25 AM

513 posts, read 798,859 times
That's opposite of me. I am naturally dirty blonde and just get highlights done every 4-6 months to brighten it up. I have fair/medium skin and blue eyes. Eyebrows are light brown. I decided to dye my hair brown one day on impulse. Wow, disaster. Made me look... Blah. My friends hated it too, said it didn't "fit me". I mean coloring wise, it should, but some people just don't fit a certain color.

Going back to blonde was a pain. My hair pulls red if not done properly or too much at once so I had to slowly go back. Took a few times but lesson learned.

Funny though, I felt brown hair made me feel washed out. I guess its something you can't easily predict until you do it and see for yourself.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
That's opposite of me. I am naturally dirty blonde and just get highlights done every 4-6 months to brighten it up. I have fair/medium skin and blue eyes. Eyebrows are light brown. I decided to dye my hair brown one day on impulse. Wow, disaster. Made me look... Blah. My friends hated it too, said it didn't "fit me". I mean coloring wise, it should, but some people just don't fit a certain color.

Going back to blonde was a pain. My hair pulls red if not done properly or too much at once so I had to slowly go back. Took a few times but lesson learned.

Funny though, I felt brown hair made me feel washed out. I guess its something you can't easily predict until you do it and see for yourself.
I think having ones natural hair color (most of the time) will suit them. I'm pale skinned, blue eyes as well. I used to rock platinum blonde hair, golden blonde and strawberry blonde just fine. I guess getting older and having been so dark (I'm told I look like Liv Tyler) for the past five years that the blonde just was a disaster. My family and friends said that I looked older with lighter hair too.

I feel your pain, my hair was splotchy orange/apricot during this debacle. Lightening up dark hair is such an annoying process!

Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
You can try semi-permanent hair colors to for awhile. You might find a nice mid-brown color that you like. These wash out in approx 6 washes. Or you can try the temporary color that washes out with the 1st shampoo.

The semi-permanent is avail at Sally's - it's called Clairol Beautiful Collection. No ammonia and no peroxide. Actually there is no developer. This is the one that lasts 6 shampoos...it gradually washes out during this time. Reviews online - many folks say it lasts 1 week. It can be a temporary solution as you think about going back to your natural color. But maybe you find a different brown that you love via doing it this way (try it on for size, then let it wash out)

The 1 shampoo temp color is also by Clairol and it's called Jazzing. Many of the colors are very bold and not natural in Jazzing. But there are a handful of normal colors in this line if you can find them.

Lastly there is another temp color that washes out called Fanci-ful. If you need to go somewhere and want to lose the blonde for the day, you can use this.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:08 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I went from blonde hair to chocolate brown hair once, but it wasn't my decision. I got a very bad color job (the colorist mistakenly put a very dark color on my entire head of blonde hair) from a supposed senior colorist. Although the salon's experts tried to fix her mistake, the chemical processing they used didn't lighten the color much and left my hair crackling dry, brittle, with an unnatural reddish color.

I ended up cutting off the damaged hair. It took two years to grow my healthy, blonde hair back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care