Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I think men look ridiculous with dyed hair. It's obvious and reeks of insecurity. Most mature women think men look handsome and distinguished with salt and pepper and even grey hair. Women are another story entirely, and you are comparing apples and oranges.
It really depends on the guy. Some look great with grey hair. Others look like they've been run over by a truck, if it's really thin/balding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what a sexist thing to say, it's ok for women but not men? men can want to dye their hair for the same reason women do. "distinguished" is in the eye of the beholder. grey hair says older no matter if you are a woman or a man. if you don't want grey you can change it.

the only thing that looks bad is when the dye has been applied all over the head, month after month. the color begins to lack depth and the shade is no longer correct. even woman who dye their hair at home can have this issue.

dye the roots only and you won't have the build up.
I agree it is sexist, but it is the norm in our society. Look at Bill and Hillary Clinton. He is boldly white, and she is blonde. If she let it go (white I would expect at her age), she would really struggle to be seen as a viable candidate. For guys somewhere in the middle, I think a bit of dying on the sly helps. Just my 2 cents. Poor dye jobs, like the "comb over," just don't fly... Growing up, there was a man in our church who did both!.

To the OP. I think you are wise. No one will admit to age discrimination, but it definitely occurs, and people make flash impressions and associations. If you are grey, or overweight, people will make all sorts of not so flattering impressions about you. Strive to be fit, fresh, and positive on the job search. Best wishes, and thanks for coming clean here!

Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 AM

6,453 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what a sexist thing to say, it's ok for women but not men? men can want to dye their hair for the same reason women do. "distinguished" is in the eye of the beholder. grey hair says older no matter if you are a woman or a man. if you don't want grey you can change it.

I don't think that was sexist at all. Just because men can color doesnt mean they should. Just like some women CAN grow a mustache but that also doesnt mean they should lol

Old 04-24-2015, 09:50 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I don't think that was sexist at all. Just because men can color doesnt mean they should. Just like some women CAN grow a mustache but that also doesnt mean they should lol

it is sexist, the attitude that a man shouldn't dye his hair. doesn't mean you have to agree with me. could care less if a woman wears a mustache, plenty do btw.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It's my opinion (and much of society's), and I stand by it. Don't act like you're surprised someone actually told the truth of what people think. If you consider it sexist that's your problem. He asked a question, and I answered it same as you.
Naw, the sexist thing is that you think only men look good with gray hair. And women look like crap.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
We live in a culture where it is perfectly acceptable for women to dye their hair to hide the gray but not for men....women particularly make snide remarks about men that dye their hair. It's one reason women look younger longer than men. But at the same time, women's looks are critical to how they are perceived, not really true as much for men and women have no objections to dating/marrying men with gray hair. Leastwise, that's haw I see it.

Oh regarding dying your hair to look younger for your work, I would like to hear if that works. Men are also getting work done on their skin, etc. to appear younger. It's a losing battle though but one we all must fight and stretch out.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:41 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
I love seeing men with nice salt and pepper hair. They should never dye their hair IMO. They'll never get a similar result, and going all black to match their "pepper" would look nasty.

As for men dying their hair, I don't mind a slight colouring, but just don't go stark!

EG: Don't go from white or light grey to black
OR, from light brown/blonde with grey mixed in, to a dark brown (brunette colour)

It is so freaking obvious, it looks fake and does nothing to make a man look younger. It just makes him look old and vain to me. It's almost as bad as a comb-over

Old 04-24-2015, 10:50 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,795 times
I don't think it's rare, it's just that it's not talked about. If it is done well you wouldn't know, would you?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:09 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Touch of Gray is the best. Go one shade lighter than you think you need. Comb it through, don't rub it in like shampoo.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:33 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,817,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I don't think it's rare, it's just that it's not talked about. If it is done well you wouldn't know, would you?
This. I think more and more men aren't afraid to go into salons and have treatments done. A good dye job is one that you don't know is a dye job. There are lots of men and women out there who dye their hair, and no one is the wiser.

People are often shocked to find out that Emma Stone (the actress), is not naturally a redhead. Even those in the public eye, with a good dye job, can trick people. I bet there are tons of actors who started graying in their 20's, but we all think they're just naturally holding onto their color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care