Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:22 AM

195 posts, read 231,381 times

Advertisements

I woke up this morning and broke out the "Just for Men" hair coloring treatment I had bought a few weeks ago but was afraid to use. I looked at my self in the mirror and finally realized that my grey hair made me feel very old. I have never died my hair before.

It was quite a process, very messy. And when the water from the shower hit my head the brown hair dye went everywhere. What a mess, lots of cleaning up so I did not have stains everywhere.

But now I look at myself and I look liked I remember I used to look, with what I always considered my natural hair color. Brown! It actually does not look that fake, it looks relatively natural.

I look 50, now instead of 57.

Why is it so uncommon for men to dye their hair and why did my friends laugh at me when I told them I was thinking of doing it? (My wife dyes her hair all the time and so do her friends.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:43 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,748 times
I've been using Touch of Grey by Just For Men for several years now, and it looks very natural. As the oldest worker at my company, it really does make a difference in how I present myself.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:50 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
All I can say is, please keep up with it, or in a week or two, it will be very obvious. As we women have learned the hard way, the first time you color, all is rosy. Then the nightmare begins.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:56 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
the only problem with some over the counter hair dyes is after awhile the color does not look natural. have someone you trust keep an eye on it for you. you can also go to a salon if you don't like the mess.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:21 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Congrats, OP! A few guys do dye their hair, but it's a well-kept secret. And as others have said, you need to regularly do touch-ups, and it can be messy, but you get used to managing that part of it. Look at it this way; at least you have hair to dye! You're ahead of a lot of other guys.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
Why is it so uncommon for men to dye their hair and why did my friends laugh at me when I told them I was thinking of doing it? (My wife dyes her hair all the time and so do her friends.)
I think men look ridiculous with dyed hair. It's obvious and reeks of insecurity. Most mature women think men look handsome and distinguished with salt and pepper and even grey hair. Women are another story entirely, and you are comparing apples and oranges.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:50 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
I think hair dye for vanity sake looks ridiculous on everyone not just men or women.

Most everyone gets gray hair, it comes with age, one should be grateful for age considering the alternative.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:55 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,014,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
I think men look ridiculous with dyed hair. It's obvious and reeks of insecurity. Most mature women think men look handsome and distinguished with salt and pepper and even grey hair. Women are another story entirely, and you are comparing apples and oranges.
what a sexist thing to say, it's ok for women but not men? men can want to dye their hair for the same reason women do. "distinguished" is in the eye of the beholder. grey hair says older no matter if you are a woman or a man. if you don't want grey you can change it.

the only thing that looks bad is when the dye has been applied all over the head, month after month. the color begins to lack depth and the shade is no longer correct. even woman who dye their hair at home can have this issue.

dye the roots only and you won't have the build up.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:27 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what a sexist thing to say, it's ok for women but not men? men can want to dye their hair for the same reason women do.
It's my opinion (and much of society's), and I stand by it. Don't act like you're surprised someone actually told the truth of what people think. If you consider it sexist that's your problem. He asked a question, and I answered it same as you.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times
I started using the Touch of Grey a couple years ago. I was job searching, and in my field, they tend to like to hire generationally (you are at a real disadvantage if you are over 45), so wanted to not look too "over the hill." Tough of Grey is more subtle, and makes me look 5-10 years younger, but still keeps the distinguished look. Go easy though. If you lay it on too thick, it looks like a dye job, and is not believable. As it stands, I use it about every 6-8 weeks on my head and beard, and I like it.

I agree that heavy-handed dye jobs look a bit desperate. However there is a broad semi-gray area that show variation in men over about 20 years. I know guys over 60 with little gray (and who I am assuming do not dye), and guys in their late 30s who are completely grey. For those of us in the middle, there is a lot of range. All I do is move myself from the greyer end back towards the middle. I am fine with that, and one day I will just let it go white and roll with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care