Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

I've been using henna for years, and am ready to lose the red, and have more color options (I'd love blue!).
Of course, you can't really remove henna, have to let it grow out and cut it off. I'm ready.

I hate the look of gray roots. For the last several years, I've been able to do a side part and show no gray, but I guess the gray is spreading all over my head now.

so...can I dye the roots with something other than henna, so I have more color options?

someday, I plan to go natural gray, but that will probably take a while.

Suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:31 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
There are people who have removed henna successfully. Google a forum called the Long hair Community - I know they have a few threads on that topic on that site.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
There are people who have removed henna successfully. Google a forum called the Long hair Community - I know they have a few threads on that topic on that site.
thanks, but a search of their site turned up no reference to henna.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:41 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,946,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
thanks, but a search of their site turned up no reference to henna.

Oh really??? You didn't look hard enough.

Here is the link for the forum.

Recipes, Henna, and Herbal Haircare

And here is the link for the henna removal thread.

Successful henna removal. Yes, you are reading this correctly.

I lurk over there quite a bit even though I am not a member.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:43 AM

thanks! I used the search engine on the site, and it turned up no references to henna. I guess it's not a good searcher!

I tried one removal technique today; rubbing alcohol and mineral oil. Didn't make much of a change. I used peroxide a while ago, that lightened it a bit.

I think I'll just start dyeing the roots with commercial dye. I've been using pure henna/cassia, without metals, so it should work OK. Then when it grows out more, I can cut off the henna and choose a new color.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:19 AM

I tried a couple different methods of removing henna:
--hydrogen peroxide and sunlight/heat
--rubbing alcohol followed by oil
each took out a little bit of color, but nowhere near all of it.

So I chopped off most of my hair a couple of weeks ago. It's now about 2-3" long on top and sides, longer in the back. It's cute and light and fluffy. Hardly anybody has noticed.

My gray roots are about 1" long, but don't show as much with the shorter hair.

I got some purple hair color, haven't had a chance to use it yet. And I ordered green, turquoise, and violet online.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 AM

439 posts, read 345,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've been using henna for years, and am ready to lose the red, and have more color options (I'd love blue!).
Of course, you can't really remove henna, have to let it grow out and cut it off. I'm ready.

I hate the look of gray roots. For the last several years, I've been able to do a side part and show no gray, but I guess the gray is spreading all over my head now.

so...can I dye the roots with something other than henna, so I have more color options?

someday, I plan to go natural gray, but that will probably take a while.

Suggestions welcome!
try naturtint. even if you have to sell on Craigslist or ebay to be able to afford it

it works better, hands down, than henna

Create a paypal acct, buy and re-sell items on CL to pay for the cost of naturtint.

Just my suggestion

Old 10-31-2017, 05:34 AM

301 posts, read 823,190 times
I loved using henna and used it for years over mostly grey hair. It is a bear to remove, however! You almost have to let it grow out - and since my hair has always been super super short it wasn't a problem for me. I did experience some success with a Dawn soap cap in fading it a bit. Just mix Dawn dish soap with your shampoo, lather, then let it set for 30 mins. Rinse and condition.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
I loved using henna and used it for years over mostly grey hair. It is a bear to remove, however! You almost have to let it grow out - and since my hair has always been super super short it wasn't a problem for me. I did experience some success with a Dawn soap cap in fading it a bit. Just mix Dawn dish soap with your shampoo, lather, then let it set for 30 mins. Rinse and condition.
Yes, henna is pretty much non-removable. I dyed my hair with henna some years ago (over lightened and gray hair) and it turned a horrible shade of bozo orange. It was nice and glossy, but the color was ridiculous and really looked bad with my coloring. Nothing would remove it, so I just let it grow out and cut it.

And just for additional info, NO dye is totally removable back to one's natural color. Even those "semi-permanent" ones have some peroxide which leave one's hair shade permanently altered. Something to keep in mind. Believe me, I have done it and I know. I now let my long hair grow out all natural with it's mix of colors (lots of silver!) and could not be happier.

OP, your haircut sounds cute - post a pic!

Old 11-01-2017, 02:21 PM

The purple coloring I found at Walmart says it's for Brunettes, and doesn't bleach the hair. I went to use it, and it has all these warnings INSIDE THE BOX that it will stain clothing and pillowcases when wet. Like, forever, not just when fresh.

I think I'll take it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care