Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 07:17 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,740,106 times

Advertisements

My mom, daughter in law and I are all experiencing hair loss since we had mild cases of covid this summer. My hairdresser and her mom had severe cases last year and also had significant hair loss. She said many of her customers are also fighting hair loss.

Add in a bit of stress and regular aging and I guess it's a perfect storm. I can see new hairs coming in but the shedding is still ridiculous. I'm taking vitamins, eating well and taking some collagen. Any other tips appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 09:12 AM

11,080 posts, read 6,893,394 times
So sorry you're experiencing this. I've been thinking about this lately. My hair seems thinner lately too though I haven't had Covid. It's stress and aging. I've been thinking about Nioxin or Nutrafol.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:40 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
It's been 4 years since I created this thread. I am 63 and still struggle with my hair. I have found ways to cope. I was allowed to take by my dermatologist finasteride, which is usually strictly for men. It did help with the shedding but I can't say as I have seen a tremendous amount of new growth. However, a product that has been a super blessing to hide my scalp is called gray away magnetic powder. To my absolute sadness it seems to have been discontinued. I am posting before and after images with using the gray away. I use to call it my magic eraser. I am searching for something similar and I have found sevich but the amount in the container seems to go so much faster than the gray away. These containers have a sponge applicator but found it was way easier to use crafting spouncers as it was easier to hold onto.

I have never colored my hair and have very little gray. I used the gray away to color my scalp. They do have a spray but I totally like the powder way more.

I'm only 47 still & my hair's been thinning over the yrs, but seems to be at a RAPID pace in the last several mos, so I need to do something FAST! Taking Biotin never seemed to make any difference, but I may start up again since I prefer to go holistic (aka all-natural) w/ remedies for everything.

OP, glad you came back for an update. I need to return to read the rest of the posts since you returned.

Also, have you read this thread that was started? I need to read more of what was said there too:
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/hai...ning-hair.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Taking hormones can be dangerous to your health (strokes, breast cancer). Excess estrogen causes the most prevalent form of breast cancer. As a woman dealing with this cancer, I can say I'd rather wear a wig.

I wouldn't start any kind of hormone stuff either. The risks are too great just for thicker hair. I'd wear a wig first. I also prefer to go as holistically as possible first w/ remedies for any issue. If I absolutely have to try an oral medication, I see what all the side effects are first, etc. & may choose NOT to take it if it's too risky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care