Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 04:22 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced this---hair changing in its texture/behavior in different life phases?

Most of my adult life, mine has been dry and rather stiff, though it is fine-textured. So stiff that if I bent over, it stayed in place. Never falling forward. As if sprayed within an inch of its life (I never used spray or product). This was good and bad. It looked fuller, with more body, but sort of unhealthy.

In the past year, it has become loose and more "flat". Now it falls forward so I have to use a pony-tail if I am doing anything (it is long) which I never did before. It's a totally new sensation for me. Feeling it on my shoulders and arms---so strange. It moves around and falls everywhere, LOL.

This is such a mystery to me, I wondered if anyone else went through this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Yes, mine has reversed and is now like yours used to be - it's fine but dry and stiff. Lacks movement. I attribute it (in my case) to age since I am now almost 70. It makes it very hard to work with. On the one hand it has become much finer and thinner, yet has a dry almost frizzy quality that it never used to have.....:

Old 04-20-2019, 12:16 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Has anyone experienced this---hair changing in its texture/behavior in different life phases?

Most of my adult life, mine has been dry and rather stiff, though it is fine-textured. So stiff that if I bent over, it stayed in place. Never falling forward. As if sprayed within an inch of its life (I never used spray or product). This was good and bad. It looked fuller, with more body, but sort of unhealthy.

In the past year, it has become loose and more "flat". Now it falls forward so I have to use a pony-tail if I am doing anything (it is long) which I never did before. It's a totally new sensation for me. Feeling it on my shoulders and arms---so strange. It moves around and falls everywhere, LOL.

Yep. In childhood, i had coarse hair, which became more sleek in adulthood.

I gained more natural wave postpartum.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:43 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:

Did you notice the difference after you moved to Ecuador? If so it might be the climate, altitude or humidity? My hair has always been thick and straight since I was an infant and still is and I'm 64 now. Naturally I always wanted curly hair and my granddaughter who has beautiful curly hair hates it.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:30 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Did you notice the difference after you moved to Ecuador? If so it might be the climate, altitude or humidity? My hair has always been thick and straight since I was an infant and still is and I'm 64 now. Naturally I always wanted curly hair and my granddaughter who has beautiful curly hair hates it.
I was here 2 years in the sea-level humidity before it changed, which is weird. Humidity should have made it more curly/frizzy---just like senior years does! Oh for "thick and straight", LOL. Good for you still having that hair at 64...

Old 04-20-2019, 04:48 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
I had a nasty fall New Years Eve 2017. Black ice on the patio and landed smack on the back of my head. Thank you fake hair oversized scrunchy. My hair started falling out then grew back wavy. It was so straight if would not hold a perm!!!!

Old 04-21-2019, 04:47 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,620 times
Oh yeah. I have curly coily natural hair.

When I first went natural about 20 years ago, it was its regular curly coily self. Then about 10 years ago, the curl loosened into springy bouncy, curls. My hair texture became finer. It looked good, but I worried that my hair was thinning.

Then about a year ago, my hair went from loose curls to tight, coarse coils. Some pieces have straight wisps on the ends. The roots are coily, but the ends become straight as it gets longer. I don’t use heat on my hair at all so I don’t know what’s happening. I still don’t know, maybe a lack of protein? I’ve been deep conditioning every week, so it’s gotten softer, but still have the crazy straight wisps on the ends in some spots. And it’s frizzy now. I didn’t have a problem with frizz before. Ever.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:51 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
When I go abroad to hot places my hair goes mental.. it frizzes easily and if it windy I end up like Shirley Temple... I do have sort of wavy hair but as Ive aged its changed but still very dark with no grey.. I dont know how long this will last as IM now 72.. My hair has never been good in the wind.. even when young so apart from it being thinner I dont really notice it changing all that much with age..

Old 04-25-2019, 01:21 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:

Hair texture changes with hormonal changes in mid-life and later. A good hairdresser (owner of the business, say) should know about that, and could give you more information.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:27 PM

5,133 posts, read 4,483,555 times
My hair used to be smooth, silky, and full of body. Once I hit my forties, it became dry, less silky, and needs more conditioning. It's also lost a lot of the bounce it used to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care