Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2020, 05:28 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,334,195 times

Advertisements

I'm about 10% gray mostly concentrated around the hairline and front of my head at the roots about 2 inches (when not colored), plus about 15 strands of root to tip in the back. It is a beautiful platinum (more white than gray) against my natural black hair. I would love to bite the bullet and dye all of my hair this color. But I wear it long and have been told it would be extremely damaging for a whole head bleach and dye. So, alternately, I would love to add the same color highlights throughout my hair (which is thick, wavy, and mid-back length). By highlights I mean just add this color lightly sprinkled through some top layer strands for a highlight effect. Has anyone done this?

I'm assuming I would have to lighten the sections I want highlighted and then try to match those same strands/sections with a platinum color to match where I'm graying. I think this would damage just the strands/sections I select.

Any suggestions, tips, experiences with lightly bleaching then adding gray for a highlighting effect? I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 04:28 AM

761 posts, read 454,274 times
My mom didn't realise how much gray she has until covid when her salon was closed. She let it all hang for 6 months and couldn't take it any longer so she had highlights and lowlights, gets alot of compliments and looks amazing, she is over 55 with long hair down to her waist.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:14 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,964,724 times
To go to platinum from natural black hair is going to rough on your hair, but it can be done. "Lightly bleaching" is going to bring your black hair to brown/red, not platinum. To completely remove any pigment in your hair you'll have to leave the bleach on a lot longer. Just be aware that the highlighted strands will be much weaker and require more conditioning and gentler treatment to prevent dryness and breakage.

**During the first seven stages, your hair will go through various color changes, including some that may be less than desirable. If your hair is black to begin with, it will be dark brown after the first stage. Subsequent stages result in red-brown, red, red-orange, orange, yellow and platinum. The lighter your hair is to begin with, the fewer bleaching stages you will need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care