Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 02:43 AM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this was discussed already, but I am curious why American people don't like to make fashion statements with bright hair dyes.
People do like creativity and personality statements in other ways like tattoos, fashionable finger nails, even make-up, clothes, jewelry...but not hair.
In Europe for example, very often men and women of all races (mostly women) even those holding highly professional jobs have hair dyed in fashionable colors or cut in fashionable styles. Men aren't afraid to have long hair, sometimes tied in a ponytail, dyed in various colors. I saw women hair fabulously dyed in bright colors, stunning beautiful.
Some really show off their full, textured hair skillfully shaped and colored.

Is here, in the US, some stigma or discrimination against people who color their hair in bright shades?
Natural colors are OK, but not natural colors are tabu?
When comes to hair, people of both genders seems to be least fashionable or adventurous.

Here are examples of some glamorous, beautifully shaped and dyed hair:
https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/...-color-trends/
https://www.styleinterest.com/blue-hair/
https://www.britishasianwomensmagazi...ng-indian-hair

Last edited by elnina; 06-09-2021 at 03:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 03:04 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Maybe it depends on where you live but even here in my small city I see a LOT of women with vibrantly colored hair.
One of my PT coworkers is also a salon colorist and she derives a nice income from her line of work.
I do think one of the problems for some is that it can be expensive to maintain the look, especially if you have it done professionally. (The retail store I work for has a very high volume of theft of SPLAT hair color products!)

Old 06-09-2021, 03:29 AM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Not seeing it much here, in Texas. And, generally, others consider it a trashy look...
Most work places, especially those where people work with public, wouldn't tolerate it either.
Hair look is usually put together with tattoos, piercings etc.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:39 PM

6,470 posts, read 3,995,339 times
Some of it might be that it's a commitment... dye your hair a fun color, and when you're tired of it you either grow it out (for years with a big demarcation line), shave your head, or bleach it and risk damage. It's a big part of the reason I've not done it even though I'd love to; I know I don't want to commit to it for years. And I don't want the line (or to grow it all the way out to hip-to-classic length), I'd look awful bald, and bleach (which I'd also have to use before dyeing to lighten my dark natural color significantly unless I wanted a dark, subtle look) would trash my already-damage-and-tangle-prone-when-virgin hair.

Then there's the upkeep...

Old 06-13-2021, 07:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,510,787 times
I see a fair amount of it here. I'm not surprised you don't see it in Texas- I get the impression the style is much different (isn't big hair still a thing?). I had a great burgundy color for a while (my only color experience from a salon). It grew out without any difficulty since my hair is naturally fairly auburn. I recently tried to do purple (home dye) and it didn't take very easily. I guess my hair was a little too dark.

Old 06-13-2021, 07:54 PM

37,646 posts, read 46,061,169 times
TONS of crazy hair colors here. I think it mostly looks silly, halloweenish or cartoonish, or maybe it's just that it seems like something a 12 year old would do. I don't really find the odd colors to be attractive at all.

I will say that the third picture you posted, that is a pretty normal color - nothing odd or different about that.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:45 PM

11,809 posts, read 12,049,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
TONS of crazy hair colors here. I think it mostly looks silly, halloweenish or cartoonish, or maybe it's just that it seems like something a 12 year old would do. I don't really find the odd colors to be attractive at all.

I will say that the third picture you posted, that is a pretty normal color - nothing odd or different about that.
Same. The first one makes me think of My Little Pony and the second just makes me think “angsty teen”. I agree with you about the third one.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:57 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,070,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not seeing it much here, in Texas. And, generally, others consider it a trashy look...
Most work places, especially those where people work with public, wouldn't tolerate it either.
Hair look is usually put together with tattoos, piercings etc.
I think it must just be an extra conservative "thing" in Texas if people there don't like it. Come visit British Columbia and you will see plenty of it and nobody thinks it's trashy. It's artistic!

People here started doing that kind of stuff with their hair at least 25 years ago and as the years have gone by they've become bolder, more unique and more adventurous with mixing and blending some really amazing colours. You will see those gorgeous vibrant colours on lots of people - children, teens, men and women of all ages right into their white haired senior years too. There's so much more contrast to play with when people get artistic like that on their naturally white or silver hair.

The first time I blended colours like what's seen in the first picture in the first link you posted was 20 years ago and I did it myself by streaking in the temporary, wash out "Punky" colours. It took me a couple of hours to do it at home by myself but it turned out good, looked like the blended iridescent colours seen on the mother-of-pearl on the inner side of an abalone shell.

I LOVED it but it had all gradually washed out into palest pastel colours after 6 weeks and after about 8 weeks it was all completely washed out without a trace. These days people can do it with permanent dyes so they last a lot longer. 25 years ago the younger kids in elementary schools here were using packages of 10 cent Kool-Aid powders to colour their hair in vibrant colours but the citric acid in it was ruining their hair.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:01 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
I see lots of bright colors in NY and NJ. Nobody thinks anything of it. My own daughter has been teal with mint, purple, silver with pink, and now she's back to blonde. She only ever got one negative remark. I posted a picture of her on FB with the purple, and my now-deceased cousin remarked, "She's so pretty, too bad she ruins it with that purple hair." I deleted the comment. My cousin died the next year in her 50s as a direct result of weighing close to 400 pounds but had something to say about purple hair.

I've thought about doing something fun with mine now that I'm retired and have gone COVID silver. Would probably try a temporary color.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:28 AM

11,646 posts, read 12,724,857 times
No one looks twice in my area when someone has blue or green hair. Same for tattoos or body piercing. I see even more of this in the upper mid-west.

However, it's bad enough when we risk our health for wearing clothes with dyes. As per my doctor's instructions, I always wash all new clothes first before wearing them. However, before adding any type of dye to your hair, read the ingredients on the box carefully and then look it up to make sure you understand what it means.

I'm old enough to remember the commercial "does she or doesn't she, only her hairdresser knows for sure." I can understand why women especially want to take the risk to get rid of the grey. Age discrimination is everywhere. It affects people's impressions even subconsciously. My ex-boss started to go grey in her mid-20s and she dyed it purple to cover the grey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care