Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 10:53 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times

Advertisements

My mom is 65 and she's experiencing hair thinning on her crown area. I suggested she use Rogaine and take biotin supplements but she doesn't want to use Rogaine. I've been trying to find a good shampoo and conditioner set for thinning hair but it seems like every product I've looked at, there are reviews of people claiming it made them lose more hair.

I've used Purador before with ginseng, it might have been their gold brand, but it looks like a lot of people are saying that they changed their formula and it made their hair worse.

I've heard good things about the Viviscal vitamins for hair but I don't know much about the shampoo/conditioner. If I can't find anything else, I might just get her the anti-thinning set from Paul Mitchell.

Does anybody have any recommendations from personal experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2022, 03:21 PM

246 posts, read 120,005 times
Rogaine thinned my hair as well . Also made it weak. Vitamin and mineral supplements helped me, a lot. As far as shampoo and conditioner Panteen is ok but I don't notice it helping but it doesn't hurt. I am always trying all kinds. Get supplement's with Biotin , Silica , Collagen , iron and zinc. Something I have just noticed on my own is when I am on a Jello kick for a while my hair grows faster and thicker. I am going to try what you are , the Paul Mitchell product. thanks for mentioning it.

I forgot to mention a color or a lightener for hair will give it a look of being thicker for sure. It doesn't give you more hair but it does make each strand thicker.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:30 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
I am 75 and have straight, fine, thinning medium blonde hair turning grey in spots. I don't find any shampoo that helps. I do take biotin tablets. To cover grey I use L'Oreal root cover, not just the roots though. I also use Tresemme gel and 4 curlers on top. Keeping my hair fairly short helps too, I like it, for me anyway.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:57 PM

728 posts, read 463,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Play_Poker View Post
Rogaine thinned my hair as well . Also made it weak. Vitamin and mineral supplements helped me, a lot. As far as shampoo and conditioner Panteen is ok but I don't notice it helping but it doesn't hurt. I am always trying all kinds. Get supplement's with Biotin , Silica , Collagen , iron and zinc. Something I have just noticed on my own is when I am on a Jello kick for a while my hair grows faster and thicker. I am going to try what you are , the Paul Mitchell product. thanks for mentioning it.

I forgot to mention a color or a lightener for hair will give it a look of being thicker for sure. It doesn't give you more hair but it does make each strand thicker.
Yes, that’s true; coloring or highlighting the hair seems to make it thicker. At least it does to mine.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
shampoo and conditioner will do nothing for thinning hair,hair is dead cells,.try a layering haircut .
I would go easy on Biotin,it has side effects

Old 05-01-2022, 07:29 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
shampoo and conditioner will do nothing for thinning hair,hair is dead cells,.try a layering haircut .
Thanks for the warning about biotin side effects..

Old 05-05-2022, 09:46 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
The layered cut is good. And yes, you can buy shampoos and conditioners as well as styling creams and sprays which will thicken individual hair strands giving them more texture. While they won't stimulate more hair growth they will create the appearance of a fuller head of hair.

So will blow drying with a cool dryer and diffuser with your head tilted down so that you dry it from underneath first. Some recommend a light mist of a texturizing hair spray on this underlayer and a tousle before flipping your head back upright.

A few tricks that will help if you want to go to all the trouble.

Last edited by Lodestar; 05-05-2022 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-10-2022, 05:56 PM

Update: I ended up getting her the Viviscal supplements and the black castor oil shampoo and conditioner from Maple Holistics. I've never used them but I routinely massage Jamaican black castor oil on my scalp before shampooing and it has really thickened my hair. I took a before pic of her scalp. I'll see if it helps her at all in a few months.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:14 PM

Quote:
How long would it take to see side effects? She has been taking Viviscal for a little over a week and seemed fine but she had diarrhea this morning. If she keeps getting it I'll tell her to stop taking it.

Old 05-11-2022, 06:27 AM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Quote:
Biotin broke my face out really bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care