Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 09:14 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times

Advertisements

This morning I ordered the OGX Tea Tree Oil Shampoo, and the Scalp Treatment. I'm concerned that the mint in it is going to make my hair fall out like the Purology purple tube did. Hopefully it was just the menthol in the Pureology shampoo that made my hair fall out. That was really something, quite noticeable. Like I said, it didn't bother my daughter's scalp the way it did mine. Weird.

The OGX should be OK, but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 05:41 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,760 times
I use tea tree shampoo too. There's one in Wegman's by a company called Soapbox which I love.

I find that my scalp tends to itch more during the period of time when allergies in general are acting up. Also, my scalp itches more if I haven't washed my hair for a few days.

Old 10-07-2022, 06:12 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Thank you Parnassia and RamenAddict. I will try both of those, being careful to get the real deal, and the extra-strength. I will use them once a week, for starters. Still want to use my Biotin shampoo. I finally found one I love. It's New York Biology B7 Biotin. Love the way it makes my hair feel, and it's growing like a weed (an inch or two below the collar bone). I hot iron just the ends every other day, so the rapid growth takes care of trimming 1/2 to 1 inch per month.
also look for paraben and SLS free shampoos..

Old 10-07-2022, 01:14 PM

Thanks... the New York Biology B7 Biotin shampoo I was using is paraben, sulfate and alcohol free. Dust mites were the problem. Right now I'm using the tea tree oil shampoo recommended above, once a week. Things are getting better. Using a fresh clean pillowcase every night.

I really like the B7 shampoo so I'll keep using it unless it stops working the way I want it to. It leaves the hair really silky and my hair has been growing really fast since I started using it a year ago.

Old 10-19-2022, 05:32 PM

Update: The OGX extra Strength Tea Mint shampoo is awesome, as is the scalp treatment, which is watery and applied to towel dried hair (then style). I love them both. No more itchy scalp at night.

(Changing the pillowcase every other night has helped too.)

Old 10-19-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The shampoo and scalp treatment mentioned above is sulfate-free and paraben-free!

Old 11-22-2022, 11:56 AM

Well, things were good for awhile, and now they've flared up again. I was using OGX for first wash and then the Biotin shampoo that I love. I actually really like both products. Have changed my pillowcase every night.

Today I decided to start wearing a terry turban to bed and see if that will keep those dang dust mites off of my scalp.

I use the OGX scalp treatment when my head starts itching, and then shampoo it a few hours later. Washing it before bed really helps too. Never had this problem before! Not taking meds right now so that's not it.

On a high note, my hair is growing like a weed. Every time I turn around it seems I have to trim it. Seems it's been growing about 1 inch a month, which is a lot. My hair is about 2-3 inches below my collar bone. It handles better when kept bluntly trimmed (baby fine and stick straight). I really do think the Biotin shampoo is doing something and I love the way my hair feels.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:02 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
For shampoo, try 1 TBS of cider vinegar in 6 oz water...do not expect suds, but your hair and scalp will be clean. For rinse, try 2 tsp Baking Soda in 6 oz water.
Been using nothing but this for over 10 years now.

Old 11-22-2022, 06:47 PM

Yes thank you, I'm going to try that! I was thinking that my scalp might have become allergic to certain shampoos.

I watched a video the other day by a woman who hasn't washed her hair in 6 years. She has very thick, very curly hair. It's quite a long video and explains every detail, and she shows her exact routine. Now, I used to have hair like that. However, I'm not sure I want to spend that much time learning how to do what she does and then doing it. Of course, her "wash" day is now only once a month (I think) but wow. It's very interesting though! And seems to work for her. It's based upon centuries ago when women dry fingered their long hair, oiled it and used a "clay wash." Many women had hair down to their knees. Not that I'd want that! But I was definitely a long long hair person for many years.

[https://youtu.be/k-2YxqGiI54

Old 01-11-2023, 06:24 PM

Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I have found a solution, I think. I bought a bar called "Zinc Therapy." It is really nice. It's not cheap, but it's wonderful. It lathers up and leaves the scalp and hair really clean. Best thing is, my scalp isn't itching anymore. I hope with further use my scalp will stop being dry. Another thing, my hair is thicker after using this bar. It's like if I added in mousse or gel. I like that.

This is all so odd because for my entire life my hair and scalp were very oily and I would have to shampoo every other day for my hair to look good for work. I was able to stretch it to every 3 days as I got older.

As a result of a suggestion on another thread, I just bought Vanicream shampoo. It is completely free of all the usual stuff they put in shampoos. It's for sensitive skin. I haven't used it yet, but will report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care