Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 09:39 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
She's (Gwyneth Paltrow) 50 now and menopause is going to her like a brick. Her hair is already dulling and you can bet money that she pays a mighty high price to get those effortless waves in that straight hair of hers.
Waves?? What waves?! All I saw was stringy, wispy lifeless hair. I didn't see any waves at all. Just layers. Wispy layers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 09:53 AM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Waves?? What waves?! All I saw was stringy, wispy lifeless hair. I didn't see any waves at all. Just layers. Wispy layers.
It isn't completely flat like the severe look that Demi Moore or, there for awhile, Courtney Cox were wearing.

Goop has the stringy wispy layers but there are some waves in it that prevent it from hanging completely flat. But as you point out, it's a stringy, ratty, unkempt, brittle appearance. Not healthy, natural.

I agree that a blunt cut would look better but she also could use some framing around her face, especially as she enters this side of 50.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:02 AM

I definitely agree with your last sentence.

I don't see where Demi Moore's hair is wispy though. It looks very healthy and blunt at the bottom, from what I've seen. I sure wish I could still grow my hair like hers, but she's a lot younger than me. She might always have thick hair, though due to genes. I see 65+ women with thick long hair in a braid or tied back and I wish that were me. Oh well.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I definitely agree with your last sentence.

I don't see where Demi Moore's hair is wispy though. It looks very healthy and blunt at the bottom, from what I've seen. I sure wish I could still grow my hair like hers, but she's a lot younger than me. She might always have thick hair, though due to genes. I see 65+ women with thick long hair in a braid or tied back and I wish that were me. Oh well.
Demi's hair is flat against her skull and hangs down lifelessly. It's too severe a look for her. She never had such a lack of body in her hair when she was younger. A softer, gentler style that framed her face would look so much nicer. But at least she blunt cuts the ends, there is that, it just isn't enough to rescue that hairstyle.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:22 AM

You're probably right. As a lifelong long-hair person, I prefer my hair long. I like it better, and I'm lazy. I'm also not good at styling it largely because it's baby fine, doesn't hold curl and doesn't stay in place. I think that may be why she keeps hers long. She likes it, and doesn't want to fuss with it.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You're probably right. As a lifelong long-hair person, I prefer my hair long. I like it better, and I'm lazy. I'm also not good at styling it largely because it's baby fine, doesn't hold curl and doesn't stay in place. I think that may be why she keeps hers long. She likes it, and doesn't want to fuss with it.
I used to wear my fine hair long when I was young and it had a bounce, shine and body to it. Now when I try to grow it long it becomes frizzy, fly away and is a horror in the humidity. It looks good when I style it but all it takes is a humid or even somewhat breezy day to make it look awful. So I keep it shoulder length or just above the shoulder with layers that do well on breezy days. If I could wear it long I would do it but I would get a better cut than Demi has for sure.

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-26-2023 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-26-2023, 01:34 PM

That's pretty much what I do. I have found that my curling iron smoothes the frizzies. I put it at the hottest setting and it only takes a very quick run through to smooth those down. Of course, if I go out and it's windy that might ruin the smoothing.

Old 03-26-2023, 01:49 PM

6,468 posts, read 3,987,792 times
Some people simply, by way of genetics or their personal physiology, have stringy and/or thin hair. Unfortunately, not everyone is born with a thick, cohesive curtain of hair and nothing they do will make their hair that way. I've known too many long-haired people lamenting that their hair isn't like X or Y when their hair was never meant to be like that and never will be, but they're so certain they're doing something "wrong" and if they just find the right product or style or care routine, their hair will look like Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon or a Pantene commercial. (Not to mention when society tells women of color that this is the only way hair should be, and thus their struggle is even greater than that of caucasian women who simply don't naturally have that hair type.)

Old 03-26-2023, 02:16 PM

I just saw Brooke Shields in a recent 60 Minutes interview a few minutes ago. Her hair is much thinner now that she is older. She still wears it long, and it looks good.

I do think there is a way to have very thin hair look good when it is worn long. It requires an excellent blunt cut. It can be done.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,156,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Some people simply, by way of genetics or their personal physiology, have stringy and/or thin hair. Unfortunately, not everyone is born with a thick, cohesive curtain of hair and nothing they do will make their hair that way. I've known too many long-haired people lamenting that their hair isn't like X or Y when their hair was never meant to be like that and never will be, but they're so certain they're doing something "wrong" and if they just find the right product or style or care routine, their hair will look like Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon or a Pantene commercial. (Not to mention when society tells women of color that this is the only way hair should be, and thus their struggle is even greater than that of caucasian women who simply don't naturally have that hair type.)

Oh now that you mention it, some hair types get brittle and break easily with overstyling or total neglect. Many women turn to fake hair or a super short cut to maintain a femme appearance after experiencing a hair disaster.

On topic a lot of women got work as models just from having glorious long hair. Even if it was stretching the truth a lot of shampoos and hairstyling products were promoted as being able to achieve miracles in maintaining long luxurious hair.

In a lot of more traditional cultures, nice hair puts a person's overall appearance at the top of what is judged as "attractive" there versus how we judge attractiveness in North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care