Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 09:13 PM

33 posts, read 203,869 times

Advertisements

Okay, my hair is ****ed up. Its uneven, a liitle thin,and most of all breakage !! OMG my hair has so much breakage it's unreal. Especialy on the sides/front, its like totaly broken off. Its short here, long there. Its horrible. But thats okay because Im about to fix that problem. And the first thing i wanna do is keep my hair braided (box)! That is what im goning to do for the next 2 years! but before i do that i have a delima that hopefully you can help me out with. Because my hair is so messed up, I wanna go to the shop and have them cut it, not into a particular style, just cut so that its an even length. But It will be really short though but thats cool. And after that I wantedto get it braided, Im talking like a month afterwards. I just wanna make sure that thats going to be cool, because I dont want my hair sticking out of the braids, and also I wanna make sure it'll be good for my hair (it wont break it). The reason why I wanna do this is I wanna kind of give my hair a fresh start, I feel like it'll grow better that way. But tell me what you think..does it matter if i cut it FYI, Im not gonna go natural. So please dont suggest that. I pretty much have my mind made up, I just wanna sure that is a good choice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:45 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
I agree with cutting your hair.

If you want to have a perm, I am okay with that. Just think of how many fish you're killing washing that stuff down the drain . But if you have a perm and braids at the same time you may be damaging your scalp. Ne way, your hairstyle is your choice. When I used to have relaxed hair, I used raw eggs occasionally as a conditioner. It really worked GREAT to keep my hair thick and strong. I think it's the protein. It helped the beakage. Just make sure to wash the egg out with cold water.

If you have braids, don't be afraid of kinks. You can rebraid the front ones if your hair starts to look too messy. Also, make sure your braider makes the braids around the edges of your head smaller. So they will be lighter in weight and not too tight. You don't want to pull your hair out or damage your follicles. The hair in the middle of your head is more durable. Or at least, less visible.

Even if you don't want to go Natural, the truth is that kinky hair will hold better in braids. If you want to keep your hair relaxed and have braids, you may have to use gel or something to keep the straight hair from sticking out of the braids. I suggest you use human hair. I think the synthetic hair looks tacky. IMO.

But the big secret of hair is that thickness and length are Hereditary. You know, like some cats have long hair and some have short hair. If your body says your hair will grow to a length of 5 inches and break off, there's not much you can do. Your hair may just break off when it gets to a certain length. Just accept it. You can have short hairstyles, and if you want long hair, you can use extensions or have braids.

Just make sure, as I mentioned that braids around the perimeter of your head are small and light enough to avoid stressing your scalp. And don't relax your hair while you're wearing braids. Also, synthetic hair is tacky IMO, and natural hair is biodegradable. You are already killing fish with the relaxer lol Good luck. Don't stress about cutting your hair. It will be healthier and it's hair, so it will grow back.
(no spell check)

Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 AM

33 posts, read 203,869 times
Ummm, well thank you so much for that info you provided. I appreciate that alot. Now a fa as the fish are concered, well my hair is more importnt than some fish, and I gotta do what I have to do for me. I dont worry about that. They're bigger FISH TO FRY!

Old 10-07-2008, 09:11 AM

559 posts, read 1,395,021 times
Have you been to longhaircareforum.com/forums? You will find lots of useful info on that site about braids, relaxers, dealing with breakage, etc.

I'm sure that you can grow your hair to at least a few inches past your shoulders if your hair gets enough moisture. And as kinkytoes mentioned protein is important and eggs are great to use on your hair, but it sounds like your hair needs a moisturizing shampoo, a moisturizing deep conditioner, and a good leave-in, maybe with some protein.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:20 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Braiding is only going to cause more breakage--it's certainly NOT the best thing for fragile hair!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakland89 View Post
Okay, my hair is ****ed up. Its uneven, a liitle thin,and most of all breakage !! OMG my hair has so much breakage it's unreal. Especialy on the sides/front, its like totaly broken off. Its short here, long there. Its horrible. But thats okay because Im about to fix that problem. And the first thing i wanna do is keep my hair braided (box)! That is what im goning to do for the next 2 years! but before i do that i have a delima that hopefully you can help me out with. Because my hair is so messed up, I wanna go to the shop and have them cut it, not into a particular style, just cut so that its an even length. But It will be really short though but thats cool. And after that I wantedto get it braided, Im talking like a month afterwards. I just wanna make sure that thats going to be cool, because I dont want my hair sticking out of the braids, and also I wanna make sure it'll be good for my hair (it wont break it). The reason why I wanna do this is I wanna kind of give my hair a fresh start, I feel like it'll grow better that way. But tell me what you think..does it matter if i cut it FYI, Im not gonna go natural. So please dont suggest that. I pretty much have my mind made up, I just wanna sure that is a good choice. Thanks
What happened that your hair got that bad in the first place? Kinkytoes gave you some excellent suggestions, however, I would also like to stress that the type of perm (strength, brand, etc) you're using could be the main contributor to your hair problems. What hairstyles have you been using?

So, yes, if you keep it braided for a while, your hair may become healthier, but if the perm is the source of your breakage, braids won't help much. This, of course, is assuming your hair isn't so fragile that it will break from the weight or tension of the braids.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:59 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
You have to figure out why it is fragile. Treatment? Diet? or your parents fault?(genetic)

Two things you can control are treatment and diet.
Ask when you get braided what you need. Curly hair is so picky.
I like edible grade coconut oil for mine. Just rub it in my palms so my hands are just shiney, then run my hands through my hair. Deep treatments with a big glop of it overnight in a showercap. Or at least a couple hours in a shower cap.

Braiding can cause breaking and pull back your hairline.
Straitening can also cause breaking too...
The wrong type of products use to wash/condition/style can cause breakage

So if you dont go natural you are just going to have to add protective measures.
Cut it as far back as it is damaged and it will look a million times better no matter what you do.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
What's with all the red words and letters???

Old 10-09-2008, 07:53 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,620 times
Oakland, glad to see that you took my suggestion of moving this to the beauty forum. I'll still say go natural and gain healthy hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care