Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,220,880 times

Advertisements

Sounds funny I know, but the barber lady told me that my hair seems to grow "out" rather than down. I normally keep my hair very short with a little longer on top, but on the back and sides when it grows back out, it tends to stick out. Most peoples hair that is short will stay down flat against their head, but I notice some people have hair like mine that grows out.

Even with hair gel (which is a must once it starts to grow out), it will still want to lift and stick out on the back and sides. I have to have it cut at least every 30 days.

Looking back at old photos of me from back in the 1980s (I am in my very early 30s now), my hair was longer (that typical style that guys had in the 80s), but it was down flat- not sticking out now like it does when it starts to grows out.

Is this normal when it starts to grow back out, or does hair texture change over the years? BTW my hair is thick and grows fast... light in color.

Anyone else have hair like this and have any luck changing it?

Another thing is that we are having an "80s" week at work and I want to do a mid-late 80s hairstyle, but want to keep my hair short. Not sure what to do. Maybe completely shave it all over, except in the middle and have a green spiked mohawk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 03:51 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,237 times
Mine is like that. If I have it short it wants to stick out rather than lay down. If I let it grow, eventually the weight seems to pull it down, but I have to deal with the unruly phase until it gets long and heavy enough.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:20 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
My front sides do that. I call them monchee-chee's because they remind me of that old monkey toy.LOL

Do you blow dry? Ever try blowing your hair downward and smoothing with your hand downward as you dry? (just on the sides)

I don't know what your personal look desired is...But a lot of the men's hair cuts now look sorta retro in a way. Really short on the sides like a WW2 bomber pilot. Maybe try finding one you like and just get that. You may also want to try the pomade + gel combo if you keep your current cut. The pomade softens it and weighs it down the gel will hold it in place just a bit stronger. I would still get the max hold pomade and put it in as directed. Smooth the gel over damp palms and just smooth the top layer down. (dont work it in)

Old 01-01-2009, 08:55 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,220,880 times
AH, yes, sounds like my hair, but I cannot stand to ever let it get too long and by the time its about a half an inch long, its sticking way out and I head to the barber to get it cut. I guess thats why back in the 80s when I had it longer it was flatter, but I do not want that style now. It was the style with the low hair-line all the way around - remember that style.

No, I have never blow dried it. Normally after I get out of the shower I will towel dry it, but before I leave I will dampen it down some and then put gel on it, but even then when it starts to get longer, it still stands up in bigger clumps. Yes, its really short (when I first get it cut) on the back and sides) and I leave it longer on top.

I will try that suggestion with a stronger gel though - or buy a wig. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Mine is like that. If I have it short it wants to stick out rather than lay down. If I let it grow, eventually the weight seems to pull it down, but I have to deal with the unruly phase until it gets long and heavy enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
My front sides do that. I call them monchee-chee's because they remind me of that old monkey toy.LOL

Do you blow dry? Ever try blowing your hair downward and smoothing with your hand downward as you dry? (just on the sides)

I don't know what your personal look desired is...But a lot of the men's hair cuts now look sorta retro in a way. Really short on the sides like a WW2 bomber pilot. Maybe try finding one you like and just get that. You may also want to try the pomade + gel combo if you keep your current cut. The pomade softens it and weighs it down the gel will hold it in place just a bit stronger. I would still get the max hold pomade and put it in as directed. Smooth the gel over damp palms and just smooth the top layer down. (dont work it in)

Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,326 times
I've got thick hair, I think it's more difficult to cut than someone who had real fine hair. I've had some good barbers that were good at using thinning shears but they have to be careful because if they do it to much or in the wrong spot it will really want to stick up. Thinning shears work on thick hair and help it to be more manageable and lay down nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care