Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

I think you should watch out for your friends throwing it out the window! You might even get more dates.

reps to the person who knows my reference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 12:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,389 times
I'm a guy but I thought you might benefit from this if you are truly losing your hair.

I've been a member of the Hair Club For Men. It's been three years now. At the club, the word system is used for wig. The so-called system is actually glued on to your head so it never has to come off, which is why it's not your traditional wig. You can do everything with it except go underwater in a pool. It's not one of those horrible-looking bird's nest that some men wear on their heads. The club does a decent job with the wigs or systems. Most of the hair comes from China or India. Also, the latest technology has made it so that the wig or systems are light-weight and somewhat realistic.

However, the bottom line is that you're actually wearing somebody else's hair on your head. Because the hair is no longer alive and receiving nourishment from blood, it requires a lot of upkeep with the club's specialialy formulated products and they are pricey. The other thing is that even with all the advancements regarding their technolgy, the hairlines just don't look that real.

Therefore I think you should go natural. Shave off all your hair like the others have already stated. If you really miss your hair, and your girlfriend or wife gives you the green light to get a system, by all means try it for one year.

Personally, I don't like it. Sometimes it looks great and other times it doesn't. At first I felt like I had done the right thing. The truth is that now the system makes me feel very insecure about myself which is bad because it costs a pretty penny and requires maintenance on a daily basis.

I want to get rid of the system and shave off all my hair but I can't seem to do it. I'd rather be bald. Bald men lose their hair because of too much testerone and many women are aware of this. Go bald. Being bald can work for you. Good luck.

Last edited by Glen Powell; 08-07-2010 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: Grammar/Mechanics

Old 08-07-2010, 11:13 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,245 times
I prefer the man to go bald if he was already losing hair. It's like, be full of hair or be bald. Not turn on if he's semi-bald for some reason.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think you should watch out for your friends throwing it out the window! You might even get more dates.

reps to the person who knows my reference
hahahaha elaine....

Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Ladies,

If I was losing my hair, how awesome do you think a hairpiece would be? I'm thinking I'd go with some really wavy and coiffed. Kind of like the lead man in American Psycho. My other piece, would be a long, flowing, Fabio piece.

Should I tell my date I am wearing a hairpiece?
Patrick Bateman would require a chainsaw to go with that hair.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Ladies,

If I was losing my hair, how awesome do you think a hairpiece would be? I'm thinking I'd go with some really wavy and coiffed. Kind of like the lead man in American Psycho. My other piece, would be a long, flowing, Fabio piece.

Should I tell my date I am wearing a hairpiece?
Seriously,

Going bald is not the end of your life or the world. You are not in a minority, as many men lose their hair and others simply shave their heads.

As someone who once wore a "rug", don't waste your time or money. As another person stated, these things require a LOT of maintenance, extra time to get ready in the morning and worry. Additionally, having the piece glued to the top of your head is not good for your skin. It needs to breathe. Needless to say, they can become very uncomfortable.

I began balding at a young age and thought a hairpiece would do the trick. NO one could talk me out of it. At first, it looked great, but eventually despite proper care and maintenance, it begins to look worn and ragged. Plus, people can tell you have something up there.

I eventually got rid of my hairpiece and it was a relief. No more worrying about concealing my bald spot, extra time getting ready, etc.

Instead of trying to impress a lady with your hair, simply be yourself. Don't be fooled by Hair Club and similar commercials. Their only concern is your money, not your happiness.

Honestly, most women don't care anyway and if they do, simply move on.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
DO NOT GET A HAIR PIECE! Women find those abhorant and the thought of her friends teasing her for dating a guy with such causes so much embarassment that she'll drop you like a hot potato.

Here's what I do...I just have hair around the sides and back of my head (i.e., bald up top.) I have the left side and the back trimmed at normal short length, but I grow the right side really long. I then comb the right side over the top to meet with the trimmed left side. If you do this, most women will not know this secret and think you have a full head of hair!

Caution...the wind can be deadly...as it will blow the right side back down...and if you forget to comb it back...it will look like some weird punk hairdo.

Last edited by jfkIII; 08-09-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
DO NOT GET A HAIR PIECE! Women find those abhorant and the thought of her friends teasing her for dating a guy with such causes so much embarassment that she'll drop you like a hot potato.

Here's what I do...I just have hair around the sides and back of my head (i.e., bald up top.) I have the left side and the back trimmed at normal short length, but I grow the right side really long. I then comb the right side over the top to meet with the trimmed left side. If you do this, most women will not know this secret and think you have a full head of hair!

Caution...the wind can be deadly...as it will blow the right side back down...and if you forget to comb it back...it will look like some weird punk hairdo.
Dude .... that is AWESOME!!!!! LOL

* My grandpa used to do this and once when we were out taking a walk, the wind blew his hair back and it was really long - like Benjamin Franklin! Being a little kid (about 8 years old) I laughed wildly - like a hyena! I think he was embarrassed, but what does an 8 year old know? LOL

Old 08-10-2010, 05:58 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Oh my god the flipover. Don't do that. Seriously. Everyone knows it's not a hairstyle. They ALL know it's just "that guy who's almost bald and thinks he's clever by flipping long hair over the bald spot." If having a bald spot bothers you enough, get a wig. Or shave the whole thing. Do you really not know that people are laughing at you and comparing you with Donald Trump, in a non-financial way?

As for hair club, yeah they put a big spin on their wigs. Call them systems and make you glue them to your head. What they don't tell you, is that hair is already dead. It's dead even when it's growing in your own scalp. Just like stalagmites, hair doesn't need to be living to grow. All that stuff they give you is just shampoo, conditioner, styling products, and more non-oily conditioners. You have to use the non-oily types because the oil will loosen loosen the hair from the cap and it'll fall out. You definitely don't need to use their stuff for that; any good wig shop will have something appropriate to condition natural-hair wigs.

If you can find an actual wigmaker, have him make you a wig. I don't know of any in this country. There used to be one near where I lived, and he's where I bought all my wigs from. But he died. His wigs lasted anywhere between 2-4 years, with 6-month fill-ins (because hair -does- shed out of the cap and needs the occasional touch-up). He did the whole thing by hand - if you've ever heard of "hand tied front" or "lace front" - well the entire wig was like that, if he made it. He'd measure my head, sew the cap together, measure it again to make sure it fit, nipped and tucked as needed, and then spend the next month tying 1-2 individual hairs into the netting at a time, until the wig was complete.

Pricey, yes. But considering that they lasted 2-4 years, it was a good deal, and the difference between a wig made specifically for you, and a wig you buy at a store or glue to your scalp, is the difference between polyester and silk.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Don't do the wig!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty > Hair Care