Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times

Advertisements

Hamp Roads, and N News in particular, you make me vomit. Acknowleding this sub-human slime's existance with anything short of a push back into a jail cell (or off a cliff) is bad enough, but giving him some kind of "celebration" and/or thinking he has even the slightest remorse and so patting him on the back (gee I'm sure being a football star has nothing to do w/it) redefines stupidity more than I thought possible this side of whoopi goldberg. Maybe you should throw out some dogs for him to electrocute or slame to the ground just for old times' sake. NO WAIT I know.......there's a secret party afterwards for that right? After all, what he did wasn't HIS fault, it was yours (bad environment and all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 05:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Hamp Roads, and N News in particular, you make me vomit. Acknowleding this sub-human slime's existance with anything short of a push back into a jail cell (or off a cliff) is bad enough, but giving him some kind of "celebration" and/or thinking he has even the slightest remorse and so patting him on the back (gee I'm sure being a football star has nothing to do w/it) redefines stupidity more than I thought possible this side of whoopi goldberg. Maybe you should throw out some dogs for him to electrocute or slame to the ground just for old times' sake. NO WAIT I know.......there's a secret party afterwards for that right? After all, what he did wasn't HIS fault, it was yours (bad environment and all).
I have bad news for you. First, Vick is only scheduled to be a featured guest and while it is named after him it is really about the Newport News community. Read it for yourself.

Vick to take part in community celebration in Newport News - dailypress.com

Second, Mike Vick, like it or not, is a key person in Newport News particularly the troubled East End community. The East End suffers from the typical social problems of any inner-city community that seem to intensify when summer comes around. The overall event is geared towards promoting nonviolence. I think one idea behind Mike Vick's role is to show people that if Vick's entire life can be ruined by criminal behavior, it can happen to them too. People (mainly young black males) most likely wont heed the cries of community activists or police, but they will probably listen to Vick who has grown up like them, knows their struggles, and is a recognizable voice in the greater Newport News and East End community.

Also, what is the problem with a community standing behind someone who has fallen on rough times? In Alexandria, VA our police chief has recently resigned due to a DUI arrest while driving a city-owned truck. There are many in Alexandria who have come out in support of the chief. I have no issue with that even though i'm one who is calling for a VERY severe punishment for him. My issue is entirely with the police chief not those that support him. Even though i don't like the community hug they had when he was first charged in 07, I have to respect a community that is willing to stand behind someone they believe in even when faced with ridicule.

I really have to ask America, Will it do any of us any good to root for Vick's failure? If Vick ends up back in jail or broke and unhappy will it make any of your lives easier?

I dont defend dogfighting, but I do defend a person's right to a second chance once they have atoned for their wrongdoing.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM

469 posts, read 1,870,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Get over it. The man has done his time. I just don't understand why people act like he had child slaves in his basement. It was dogfighting! Yes it's bad, but it's nothing new. People have and will continue to do it. The only reason it was such a big deal with Vick was because he is a public figure, and of course he was to be made an example out of.

The point is, he did his time. Justice was serve. Now let him move on with his life and get it back on track. There are way more important issues in the world to worry about.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:40 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,700 times
He did his time, get over it. There are far worse criminals out there than Vick, and if having a day in support of him can lead to some positive influence over troubled youth in the East End, then so be it.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,200 times
Haha GO VICK!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:55 AM

520 posts, read 1,626,949 times
There is a history of fighting other animals in the area. Birds, yo.

It's horrible that they were fighting dogs, but it's cool that we go to other countries that aren't a threat to us and fight them? Are you anti-war, or only anti-dog-fighting?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
The war is another topic, but Mr. Vick had been warned by his own father and kept on doing it til he got caught. Not very smart when he had the world by the ass and blew it all. If he can do some good from the lessons he's learned (if he learned any), then he should proceed in the area that he grew up in. His brother had issues too. Athletes should not consider themselves above everyone else.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
I think I read that when he was on in-home probation, he had to get a job. The job with WM Jordan didn't work out, so he chose to work doing community service - something like the Boys & Girls clubs. This is probably a commitment that he made through the program.

I do think he has done his time and would like to see him back in football since that is where his talent lies. I would also like to see his public apology or whatever - at least something that will let me decide if he is sincere in getting his life together. He 'MAY' have done something like this already, but I have missed it if he has.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:37 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,705,441 times
Michael Vick did his time so get over it.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 AM

359 posts, read 759,141 times
Check the PilotOnline news today. Apparently he had a birthday party at VB Town Center last night and what would you expect - someone got shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area