Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,664 times

Advertisements

Hey all:
My wife and I are moving to Hampton roads area this summer. She is going to be working at naval med center in Portsmouth and I will be at Norfolk general hospital. You can literally see one hospital from the other, but can't figure out the best place to live for us. We have one child that will need daycare and a couple of dogs that need a yard. Our main goal is to minimize commutes, but want a safe area...any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 11:06 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
I guess Ghent would be a decent start. Although if you NEED a yard, Ghent might not work. I would check Larchmont, Colonial Place, and West Ghent too. Those are all generally safe and not far from either hospital, but your wife will have to go through tunnels everyday to get to Portsmouth. There's lots of decent neighborhoods in Norfolk that can offer a yard (but most likely on the smaller side). Neighborhoods like Bayview, Meadowbrook, Maple Hall, and Belvedere are nice neighborhoods where houses have yards, but are further out so the commute would be longer.

I don't really know Portsmouth well, so I can't offer any advice there.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,447 times
Well, Portsmouth and Norfolk aren't really the "safest" areas of Hampton Roads (though for norfolk, it really depends on what part.), but like someone mentioned above, try Ghent. It's close to the downtown area and has some rather pretty houses But if you want a house with a big yard and such, then this isn't the place. It may take a small ammount to drive to portsmouth, but it's really no big deal since the cities are all interconnected. You just may not get there within 5 minutes.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:36 PM

134 posts, read 544,764 times
There are good and bad parts to every city... Portsmouth is known for bad schools though so keep that in mind if your child will be getting to school age soon.

Tunnel traffic is typically worst getting into Norfolk in the mornings and out in the evenings. It would probably make more traffic sense to live in Norfolk. You should be able to get a small yard in the Ghent/West Ghent areas.

Another option that can offer a large yard is Southern Chesapeake. There is an abundance of land out that way and you can commute into Norfolk or Portsmouth using 168 and 464.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,319,497 times
Tunnel traffic from Norfolk to Portsmouth (through the Midtown, at least) is non-existent in the morning.

Living in Portsmouth, working in Portsmouth or living in Norfolk, working in Portsmouth is fine, but with the latter make sure you're holding a 9 to 5 and not a graveyard shift, i.e.- 5 PM until 9 AM

Old 01-22-2011, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,567 times
We are hoping to move to Hampton area. What is the crime activity like. We know there will be some but, is Hampton safe? Also what about Newport News?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:35 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieblue View Post
We are hoping to move to Hampton area. What is the crime activity like. We know there will be some but, is Hampton safe? Also what about Newport News?
Depends on what part. Generally above Mercury Blvd is safe in both Hampton and Newport News. It's a lot of areas below Mercury where there are real problems.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracieblue View Post
My advice is to go to the place you are going to live at night and you will get a true view of how the area is. Hampton police don't do anything and most crimes are not reported so the stats don't mean anything.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 PM

71 posts, read 125,078 times
Try walking around Olde Towne Portsmouth. Its within walking distance to the Portsmouth Hospital. There is a Ferry that goes across the River too.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM

18 posts, read 81,821 times
I feel sorry for my son and daughter in law , they live in norfolk and they told me , it wasn't safe .
I wished they could found an 2 bedroom apartment that's safe . After reading all above , no where
in hamptons sounds sad , what a shame.

I'll be glad when his 2 years is up , then he can come back to Midwest.

Someone was right , there's crime in every city in USA . Doesn't matter if you live in the cities where millionaires lives , its still not safe .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area