Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 PM

96 posts, read 101,131 times

Advertisements

I live in Williamsburg and just got back from visiting my grandmother in the hospital. I was surprised to see a 1/4 of snow on the road, but nonetheless I got in my car and drove off... Unlike most people in this area are willing to do. First off, I see idiots braking and turning at the same time, driving bumper to bumper in traffic, and all the morons with jacked up trucks are driving like it summer out. News flash, YOUR BIG ***** TIRES WON'T CARVE THROUGH THE SNOW.

Bottom line, VA drivers schools need to teach you folks how the hell to drive in the snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
I drove from Maryland last night through the snow and was flabbergasted at how ridiculously stupid Virginia drivers were. The way I see it, if you're too scared to drive through the snow, then get off the friggin' road! I was also getting highly annoyed with drivers completely incapable of forming a line and maintaining a course of staying in each others' tracks. It's not that hard!

For about 30 minutes, I was stuck behind somebody who consistently hit their brakes and slid around the road like it was a skating rink. Because of them, we got completely separated from the line of vehicles and thus no good path to drive on. Once a semi-truck passed the idiot, it was smooth sailing behind him (safely) to Ft. Eustis where the roads cleared up completely.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 AM

358 posts, read 710,938 times
haha, yeah when I lived there I wouldn't even leave the house if I saw white. I remeber all those jacked up trucks in HR. I've never seen so many in one place. Lots of multi-thousand $$$ life jobs on brand new trucks driven by white collar cubicle workers.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM

96 posts, read 101,131 times
It's all melted now, 40+ degrees out and people are still driving like theres an inch of ice on the road. Why the hell couldn't my parents have stayed in Roanoke?

Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM

148 posts, read 370,942 times
There are bad drivers all over this country, trust me... it's not just Virginia drivers. You can't let things like that get you so stressed out though... life is too short to get all worked up. Sure, the people you encountered on the road were probably idiots... but was it so bad that you had to come on a forum and create an angry rant?

There are other places to rant about drivers by the way.... check out Platewire.com. People go to that site immediately once they jump out of their car and rant about how someone cut them off and how they pray that person gets into some serious car wreck or something. How angry and hateful society is these days eh?

Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 AM

419 posts, read 902,637 times
Yes Virginia drivers suck, I know I do and I am one of them. I am a terrible driver and I would watch out for me when you are on the road. I travel from Central Virginia down 64 and back at least twice a week. So you may want to avoid 64 between 1st view and exit 118 which is 29 near Charlottesville. Please encourage others to get off the road between 430 PM and 10 Sunday Nights and between 3 PM and 10 PM Thursday nights. Just help yourself and stay away from me because I am a terrible driver and I am a Virginian.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:59 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,432,923 times
Default VA drivers in the snow

The reason VA drivers suck in the snow is because it never snows there enough to learn how to drive in it! Common Sense! In Tidewater, (Va. Beach/Norfolk/Chesapeake) the Southside, it never snows. So, you gotta realize nobody there can drive in the snow. It is worse in Charleston, SC where I live , nobody can drive in the snow and most people are slow pokes too!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM

115 posts, read 233,080 times
Snow in this area is more dangerous than snow further north, because it is icier. I lived 7 awful years in Buffalo, NY and the drivers there were far worse than Southern Virginia drivers. The fact that so many people here are from everywhere else means that more than half the drivers learned how to be stupid drivers somewhere else. Unfortunately, I have to drive up to Maryland 1-2 times a month. That makes me thankful I don't have to drive there more often.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 AM

6 posts, read 77,206 times
I'd have to agree with the above driver. This is a large conglomerate of people. The military brings so many different areas into one place, most learn to drive else where.

But I lived in Syracuse for 8 years, moving down here in 2008, and I can tell you it's just as bad there. I found people in Upstate NY not able to drive in regular weather, but put them in snow and they are incredible. They had no idea how to speed up while entering an off-ramp (they literally get on an off-ramp and stop to wait for their turn to enter the road). They had no idea how to handle being cut-off. Stuff like this.

People cannot drive any place you go. Every location has their quirks.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 PM

275 posts, read 870,529 times
I had to laugh...I've lived in HR for most of my life, and I agree 100%. Despite the military presence, truth be told, this area just doesn't get snow that often. Maybe one big snowstorm (for us, that's 3+ inches lol) every 2 or 3 years, if not more. Before 2010, the last major snow was c. 2004-05. So yeah, it's tougher for us because we don't really get to train ourselves to consistently drive in it. Not that that excuses you from not having any common sense, mind you.

We get our fair share of rain, especially during hurricane/tropical storm season, and the drivers are just as idiotic then. I've seen more than enough people fly past me on the Interstate. I usually get over to the furthest lane away so I can avoid what happens should they hydroplane...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area