Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,740 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Colonial Beach from Spotsylvania. Do you think the neighborhoods near the shores have little crime activity? I hear inland could get a little rough during the night life. I just don't want to live around blatant drug activity and/or drug use. Looking for a quiet, clean area with mature adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 AM

144 posts, read 419,747 times
Are you speaking of Colonial Beach in Westmoreland County? I personally don't feel like there is a huge drug and crime scene there but, I have heard from some locals that it can be a little rough in some neighborhoods. I have gone to the Riverboat on the Potomac a few times on Friday and Saturday nights when there was a DJ/Karaoke and Comedy shows and the locals seemed to be really cool folks.

I use to go to that beach a lot as a child. I remember when I was 7yrs old, my 3yr old god-niece from NC went for the first time that she could get in the water. She kicked and screamed in refusal to get in saying the water was dirty lol. It was much cleaner then than it is now and I think a hurricane might have hit that year too because I noticed the water change.

When I took my youngest son and his friends there one Saturday in Jul 08 after berry picking at Westmoreland Berry Farm (yes, a plug) they reported on the horrid conditions of the bathroom. It was crowded there and about 5pm so I don't think anyone takes care of the bathroom during the day. While they were in the water and out pretty far no one was bitten by jelly-fish. So, that's a plus.

I don't feel the beach area is lively enough. There is nothing there except a few restaurans, a playground and a many retirees. Expect to find many shells and rocks in the sand since it is not a true resort area. The water will be that brown-greenish color that the Potomac River is famous for but so are most of the beaches in MD and VA.

The hurricane season can hit tne town of Col. Bch pretty hard. Restaurants and condos have been taken out as recently as Irene (2011). If I can say one thing I am really impressed with, it is the Potomac Renaissance high rise condos. I haven't seen them in person but the listings look really nice. If I was to live in Col. Bch, I would definitely go for one of those.

Oh and most young locals in King George and Colonial Beach believe the area to be boring. Don't just take my opinion. Go down there for a day and speak with the cops that hang out at the 7-Eleven. Mingle with the retirees riding around in their golf carts or any of the locals working and dining at one of the many restaurants. You will definitely get a clue for what life will be like living there. I'm thinking boring but as long as you like quaint and quiet and have other places to visit you should be ok.

Oh, and if this is not the Colonial Beach you were meaning, please disregard. If it is, then it's also in the wrong forum as it's about 3hrs from Hampton Roads. Hope I've been helpful either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area