Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,038 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions on any restaurants in Virginia Beach or northern Chesapeake that serve crab legs? Other than Captain George's. I just can't afford that kind of money for a family of 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM

359 posts, read 759,390 times
Hi Lily, thinking about Captain George's makes my blood pressure rise. I have always wanted to try this place nearby:

Wicker's Crab Pot Seafood

4201 Indian River Road, Chesapeake, VA
(757) 351-2724

Decent reviews...

Old 03-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
Hi Lily, thinking about Captain George's makes my blood pressure rise. I have always wanted to try this place nearby:

Wicker's Crab Pot Seafood

4201 Indian River Road, Chesapeake, VA
(757) 351-2724

Decent reviews...
I have been wanting to try it too! But I can't ever find a place to park (and I don't want to park in front of a neighbor's house). I've heard such good things about the food... I just can't get to it!!!!

Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 AM

3 posts, read 14,527 times
I usually just hit the seafood department at farmfresh and get them to steam up about 2-3 pounds of dungeness clusters with heavy old bay. Add a pound of shrimp to that and take it all back to the house, cover the dining room table with news paper, hang a plastic grocery bag off the back of your chair and go to town. I often get through this without paying more than $50 and it satisfys 4 people . Compare that to capt. G's or Joe's crab shack where I you probably won't leave without una$$ing 80 bucks for a 2 person meal.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,021,879 times
Margie and Rays crabhouse on Sandbridge Road used to have nightly specials this time of year...Most every night they had all you can eat crablegs for 19.95....Not it town at this time but Im an sure they still do the offers...Give them a call and find out

Old 03-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Default What a deal we found!

Yesterday was my grandson's birthday and he had asked for crab legs for his birthday dinner. Captain George's and Joe's Crab Shack was out. Too pricey. So I started calling around.

I found Grand China buffet over on N. Battlefield near Volvo Parkway in Chesapeake that cost $8.99 a person for the dinner buffet. You could add a "crab legs option" for an additional $2.99.

Geez, they sure lost money on that boy last night. He ate FIVE PLATES of crab legs with a plate of other buffet items somewhere between plate #2 and #4! They probably took his picture so that when he shows up again they can say in Chinese, "He's back! Hide the crab legs!"

As a plus, the rest of the buffet items were very good, except for the rice. My daughter tried it and said it was rather dry. Our total bill for 4 adults and drinks was $45 and some change.

If any of you get over that way, you should give it a try. It's not a fancy place by any means, but it was clean, comfortable and the server was very attentive too.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:26 AM

696 posts, read 1,302,117 times
LOL that's a lot of crab legs, if crabs had the power to resist/protest your grandson would be serving multiple life sentences deep down under the Pacific Ocean somewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
He ate FIVE PLATES of crab legs with a plate of other buffet items somewhere between plate #2 and #4! They probably took his picture so that when he shows up again they can say in Chinese, "He's back! Hide the crab legs!"

Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
LOL that's a lot of crab legs, if crabs had the power to resist/protest your grandson would be serving multiple life sentences deep down under the Pacific Ocean somewhere...
No kidding! I've never seen anyone put them away like that. And he's skinny to boot.

I should have such a problem.....

Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,021,879 times
Be careful at some of these all you can eat crab leg places... Some places (especially the cheap in cost places) do not steam but boil the legs and they use allot of salt, this helps cut down of the number of legs eaten so it saves the place money... I have heard of several cases where people have ate too many legs and have been rushed to the ER because their body was pretty much OD'ing on salt

Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Be careful at some of these all you can eat crab leg places... Some places (especially the cheap in cost places) do not steam but boil the legs and they use allot of salt, this helps cut down of the number of legs eaten so it saves the place money... I have heard of several cases where people have ate too many legs and have been rushed to the ER because their body was pretty much OD'ing on salt
Oh geez... then we were very fortunate that didn't happen to him.

If excess salt is used, wouldn't that make the crab meat taste salty? I didn't think to take a bite to see how they tasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area