Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,117,897 times

Advertisements

According to an article I just read "the entire city of Norfolk is worried" about something. Not just a few people, mind you--the entire city! Overly dramatic? Probably. Downright bloviating? You betcha. A reporter who needs a valium? Even more likely. OTOH.... maybe it's true!!! Hmmmm.... looks like we have a good excuse for a little experiment. So let's just find out what this scary thing that has every single person worried is. If everyone is indeed worried about this thing, surely you guys can tell me what it is (I'll post the answer tomorrow.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,209,779 times
I lived in Norfolk until February.....I dont know if there was anything that EVERYONE would be concerned about. Even something huge, like closing down the Navy Base, would have some people actually cheering.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Good guess, but not the issue the reporter had in mind.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:23 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,624,318 times
I would say flooding. This region of the country already sinking, most of norfolk is built on wetlands, and the sea level is rising.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,470,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
I would say flooding. This region of the country already sinking, most of norfolk is built on wetlands, and the sea level is rising.
Absolutely. Every metropolitan region in this country in our situation is sinking. New York City is sinking, I'm sure that Chicago probably is as well. Only area that would not be sinking might be LA, because they haven't built as high, yet ...

Old 06-18-2012, 01:58 PM

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! So.... just how big is this worry? I can see that people who live near the waterfront would be worried but what about you guys who live in the rest of the city? Is this really a serious worry, or more like an annoyance that you learn to deal with?

Up my way, we have a section of Alexandria that floods every time we get a big rain. I feel sorry for the store owners there but I can't say that every time it rains I get worried. I might avoid driving on the roads that have warning signs for potential flooding, but that's about it. Or is the situation down your way more dangerous?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Also, was the rain today bad enough to cause problems? Or does it have to be a heavy storm?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:16 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,470,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! So.... just how big is this worry? I can see that people who live near the waterfront would be worried but what about you guys who live in the rest of the city? Is this really a serious worry, or more like an annoyance that you learn to deal with?

Up my way, we have a section of Alexandria that floods every time we get a big rain. I feel sorry for the store owners there but I can't say that every time it rains I get worried. I might avoid driving on the roads that have warning signs for potential flooding, but that's about it. Or is the situation down your way more dangerous?
That is an topographical issue. There are neighborhoods throughout Norfolk that flood. Also, because we are so close to sea level, even areas that are not close to the waterfront can flood. Streets flood all the time all over Hampton Roads because there isn't any way of getting rid of the water, and that isn't an actual flood, just your usual heavy rain.

It is not so much about erosion and water coming in from the ocean/bay as much as it is about the fact that you cannot get sewage water back out to the ocean/bay fast enough. I witnessed flooding in South Norfolk and Virginia Beach several miles away from the Oceanfront.

Erosion is an issue in any city close to a body of water though. Many houses have fallen into the lake up in Cleveland over the years, even though they aren't anywhere near as close to sea level as we are here. Said houses were literally built over sand and propped up and leveled; some were sitting on land, some weren't, and the wooden base that propped up them up deteriorated. Same difference IMHO.

A landlord told me that it is a serious issue in the Olds Towne neighborhood of Portsmouth.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,336,999 times
Overly dramatic reporter

Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Overly dramatic reporter
So you mean you aren't all sitting around, wringing your hands and moaning in agony over this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area