Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,584 times

Advertisements

I have lived here 7 years and this is the first time that ANYONE actually goes the listed speed limit on I-64 between the 664 Interchange in Hampton and through Lee Hall in Newport News! Then again with the new fines people are slowing down and I've seen several cop cars, marked and unmarked, all over the interstate for at least a month now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,154 times
I visited the area last summer. The police are obnoxious. Virginia is for cops.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,995 times
Has anybody else recently noticed all the people that have been pulled over by police on motorcycles on 64 and 264 around Norfolk and Virginia Beach? It may be time to start watching out for them also.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:51 AM

201 posts, read 905,857 times
Dont be fooled, cops dont give tickets for safety. Its purely a revenue source. Traffic cops are nothing more then an extra tax man to the government. Just go by any sobriety check point, for every 1 "intoxicated" driver they ticket, there are 30 people ticketed for everything from cracked windshields to expired inspection stickers.

Of course cops are going to be out getting their browny points with higher fines, hell they probably have a commission system in place by now.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:07 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
Dont be fooled, cops dont give tickets for safety. Its purely a revenue source. Traffic cops are nothing more then an extra tax man to the government. Just go by any sobriety check point, for every 1 "intoxicated" driver they ticket, there are 30 people ticketed for everything from cracked windshields to expired inspection stickers.

Of course cops are going to be out getting their browny points with higher fines, hell they probably have a commission system in place by now.
That has to be about the dumbest post I have read on this forum.....
Police give tickets for people breaking the law...you dont break the law you dont have anything to worry about.......Last time I looked cracked windshields and expired inspections are a violation of the law....everyone complains about the police until they need one.......

Old 11-14-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
That has to be about the dumbest post I have read on this forum.....
Police give tickets for people breaking the law...you dont break the law you dont have anything to worry about.......Last time I looked cracked windshields and expired inspections are a violation of the law....everyone complains about the police until they need one.......

So you are saying its imparative that police set up "sobriety check points" to hand out thousands of dollars worth of stupid tickets?

People with an expired inspection sticker or a blown tail light are NOT a threat to the safety of the general populace, and by setting up nets to ticket them, they are doing NOTHING but collecting revenue, period. I could care less what you say. At the same time they are raping John Q. Public for 200 dollar tickets for breathing wrong, they are complaining that there arent enough uniformed officers patrolling the bad areas and that the resources are "stretched too thin". Gee I have an idea where you can find more officers. Pull a few off of sitting in the bushes in well to do areas looking for people going 31 in a 25, and have them go patrol areas where violent crime actually happens. You know, the kind the police run and hide from. Im also sure you can pull about 5 or 6 off of the sobriety check points. Trust me, the one drunk driver they catch in 9 hours of work likely wasnt going to kill anyone. Im sure they could deter a whole lot more potential injuries and deaths by patrolling a bad neighborhood for those 9 hours.

If you doubt that traffic tickets arent simply a revenue source, just read the quotes around those rediculous fines they have attached to tickets now. You'll see the words "revenue source" about 600 times, but you wont see a single mention of "safety".

Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal_Poison View Post
So you are saying its imparative that police set up "sobriety check points" to hand out thousands of dollars worth of stupid tickets?

People with an expired inspection sticker or a blown tail light are NOT a threat to the safety of the general populace, and by setting up nets to ticket them, they are doing NOTHING but collecting revenue, period. I could care less what you say. At the same time they are raping John Q. Public for 200 dollar tickets for breathing wrong, they are complaining that there arent enough uniformed officers patrolling the bad areas and that the resources are "stretched too thin". Gee I have an idea where you can find more officers. Pull a few off of sitting in the bushes in well to do areas looking for people going 31 in a 25, and have them go patrol areas where violent crime actually happens. You know, the kind the police run and hide from. Im also sure you can pull about 5 or 6 off of the sobriety check points. Trust me, the one drunk driver they catch in 9 hours of work likely wasnt going to kill anyone. Im sure they could deter a whole lot more potential injuries and deaths by patrolling a bad neighborhood for those 9 hours.

If you doubt that traffic tickets arent simply a revenue source, just read the quotes around those rediculous fines they have attached to tickets now. You'll see the words "revenue source" about 600 times, but you wont see a single mention of "safety".
People with a expired inspection sticker or a blown tail light can easily be a threat to you or me on the road.....answer me this...why do you think this person is driving around with an expired inspection sticker....most likely because there is an safety issue with the car and this person knows it wont pass inspection...say its the brakes.....so now you have someone driving down the interstate with bad brakes...you or I are in front of him and we stop...well with his bad brakes he cant stop in time slamming into the rear of our car possibly injuring or killing your or me...sorry but that is a safety issue....
And you point about drunk drivers and sobriety check points.......please.....
Why dont to talk to a family member of someone killed by a drunk driver...there are pleanty of them out there...why not start with the two families that had their daughters killed on Va Bch Blvd by a drunk driver who was illegal to be in this country driving without a license with a car that had bad brakes and bad tires and get their opinion and then we can talk......

Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
People with a expired inspection sticker or a blown tail light can easily be a threat to you or me on the road.....answer me this...why do you think this person is driving around with an expired inspection sticker....most likely because there is an safety issue with the car and this person knows it wont pass inspection...say its the brakes.....so now you have someone driving down the interstate with bad brakes...you or I are in front of him and we stop...well with his bad brakes he cant stop in time slamming into the rear of our car possibly injuring or killing your or me...sorry but that is a safety issue....
And you point about drunk drivers and sobriety check points.......please.....
Why dont to talk to a family member of someone killed by a drunk driver...there are pleanty of them out there...why not start with the two families that had their daughters killed on Va Bch Blvd by a drunk driver who was illegal to be in this country driving without a license with a car that had bad brakes and bad tires and get their opinion and then we can talk......

I bet the majority of people driving around with an expired expiration sticker either forgot about it, or couldnt get their car in at a convenient time to be inspected. There are very few accidents caused by cars that are so beat up that a malfunction that would be caught by an inspection caused it. My wife received a $150 ticket for an expired inspection sticker, that was expired by ONE DAY, and her vehicle was less then 7 months old. Some how, I dont think that ticket was issued because my wife was a safety threat.

Oh by the way, as far as drunk drivers are concerned, why dont you talk the many more people who have their property destroyed or stolen, or are injured or killed in violence, because there are no cops anywhere remotely around their area EVER to deter crime. Where were the cops when those kids were FILMING a gang beating? Where are the cops when racial graffiti is being sprayed all over someones property? These things took a very long time, and just one or two cops patrolling would have detered that or stopped it before the guilty parties got away.

On the other hand, every day on my way to work, I can assure you that Ill see at least 1 cop sitting behind a bush in the "hoity-toity" posh neighborhood I drive through.....yet amazingly, the whole time I attended ODU, and drove through Park Place to get there, I didnt once see a single cop, EVER. This is a neighborhood that crime is routinely commited on the streets on a daily basis. Why wouldnt there be cops crawling all over there? They are probably too busy standing outside the Constant Center trying to arrest under age kids with alchohol, or maybe they have a sobriety check point set up in front of Ghent.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:18 PM

I bet the majority of people driving around with an expired expiration sticker either forgot about it, or couldnt get their car in at a convenient time to be inspected. There are very few accidents caused by cars that are so beat up that a malfunction that would be caught by an inspection caused it. My wife received a $150 ticket for an expired inspection sticker, that was expired by ONE DAY, and her vehicle was less then 7 months old. Some how, I dont think that ticket was issued because my wife was a safety threat.

So the truth has finally came out I knew it would sooner or later.....It seems you want to blame the police for doing their job by giving your wife a ticket for an expired inspection.....Why dont you man up and take the responsibility like you should.....Its not the police officers fault that you cant get your inspection in time...Look on the back in states in bold letters that your vehicle must be inspected by this date...it does not state one day later or one week later or one month later ......

Do you even know that there are many divisions within every police department...you have police officers that their only job is to work traffic which includes writting traffic tickets to people that break the traffic laws.....

You are given a fine for breaking the law........that is nobodys fault but yours.....I guess you are the type that blames your credit card company for imposing a late fee if you are late with a payment...

This post was started talking about people driving the speed limit on the interstate because of more police out there....So I guess having the police out there "hiding behind bushes" as you say is working...and if you are one of the unlucky ones that get caught speeding so be it...man up....blame yourself for speeding...pay your fine and move on....

Last edited by rtandc; 11-14-2007 at 12:27 PM..

Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:

So the truth has finally came out I knew it would sooner or later.....It seems you want to blame the police for doing their job by giving your wife a ticket for an expired inspection.....Why dont you man up and take the responsibility like you should.....Its not the police officers fault that you cant get your inspection in time...Look on the back in states in bold letters that your vehicle must be inspected by this date...it does not state one day later or one week later or one month later ......
Do you even know that their are many divisions within every police department...you have police officers that their only job is to work traffic which includes writting traffic tickets.......
You are given a fine for breaking the law........that is nobodys fault but yours.....I guess you are the type that blames your credit card company for imposing a late fee if you are late with a payment...
This post was started talking about people driving the speed limit on the interstate because of more police out there....So I guess having the police out there "hiding behind bushes" as you say is working...and if you are one of the unlucky ones that get caught speeding so be it...man up....blame yourself for speeding...pay your fine and move on....

1. I could care less if my wife was in the wrong with the car, there was NO reason for the sobriety check point OTHER then handing out stupid tickets like this. THAT is my beef. If they were really there to check for drunks, theyd shine the light in your eyes, ask you to say the alphabet, and wave you on. I have a serious problem when my tax dollars are being used to subsidize the cities uniformed tax collectors, at the expense of fighting real crime. You think I have a problem with the ticket, and thats why Im pissed, no, I have a problem that they were there in the first place pulling over people to write stupid tickets for stupid things rather then actually combating crime.

2. Obviously, if there are enough officers to sit in bushes, resources are being allocated wrong. Maybe more officers in the "traffic" (read as taxation bureau) department should be transferred to the crime units. Oh wait, thats a stupid investment, the cities little blue shirted tax collectors bring in income, while crime units simply suck out cash. Im surprised the whole police force isnt one big traffic division.

By the way, I dont fault average Joe Badge for handing out the ticket. Im sure he would rather do just about anything then hand somebody a frivolous ticket, since that almost assuredly means a court date. Im guessing Joe Badge and his whole precinct are probably getting the screws put to them to write a certain number of tickets to keep the cities budget projections in the black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area