Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:17 PM

135 posts, read 390,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistatheart View Post
TN Lily, I agree some of the summer days (especially last summer!) can be tough. Having grown up in the northeast, though, I'll take even the hottest of summer days in HR over the long, freezing cold, gray winter days in the northeast. Last winter, my parents were visiting from NY. They called my sister to see if she had checked on their house--she couldn't find the key because it was buried under a foot of snow. I looked out our back window and my kids were playing outside in the grass--barefoot! Living here, I often forget what the winters were like up there. Sometimes I get an itch to move back up north, but those kind of things remind me why, really, I probably never will.

Boxter01--I'm so sorry about your car! A couple years ago, our minivan got struck by lightning while parked in our driveway--blew out the entire electrical system. $21,000 in damage--if they could fix it at all (and the mechanic said, even if they could fix it, we would not want that car back). Our insurance company agreed and totalled it. But even those sorts of things don't make me want to move back--fewer natural disasters in the north, but harder living on a day to day basis (at least in the winter). I hope your car proves to be an easy fix, Boxter.

Leighland, I agree--the bugs do give me pause. I'm one of those rare breed, though, that loves the humidity. We've spent quite a bit of time out west. We have family in CO and Wyoming and we've lived in SoCal. That western dryness gives me nosebleeds! Plus, when we lived in CA, a scorpion crawled in under our door and walked right across our living room floor! I'll take the weird (but harmless) jumping spiders that invade our backyard every summer over scorpions any day!
Thank you too Arista. Wow, $21000! Cannot fathom that. Wonder if my situation would be covered under insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 AM

368 posts, read 996,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxter01 View Post
Thank you too Arista. Wow, $21000! Cannot fathom that. Wonder if my situation would be covered under insurance?
They considered the lightning strike "an act of God" so it didn't even raise our rates. Might be worth looking into. That would be so great if you could get them to pay off!

Old 10-12-2013, 01:05 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,079,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxter01 View Post
Sure would be worth a phone call to find out. Do you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:02 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,607,899 times
I'm very over this rain!!!! Tomorrow looks to be worse again.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I'm very over this rain!!!! Tomorrow looks to be worse again.
I totally agree! This is like the weather I grew up with in Albany--which I hated! I'm not used to totally rained out weekends anymore.

Looks like things are supposed to start to improve Tuesday.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 AM

I saw a tiny bit of sunshine earlier today. I was so hopeful that the rain was over. Then the sun went away and the rain came back. Again.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
I saw a tiny bit of sunshine earlier today. I was so hopeful that the rain was over. Then the sun went away and the rain came back. Again.
That tricked me, too, LilyLady. We went out for a walk--and got poured on.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:35 PM

The rain has finally stopped but that wind has sure picked up. It makes it feel cooler than it actually is.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM

We have sun in Newport News! I don't know how long it'll last, but I'll take it!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:05 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,607,899 times
I got to wear my sunglasses today!!!!!! It's cloudy again, but I got to wear them for a bit!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area