Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,067 times

Advertisements

So, I rented an apartment from a private landlord (company) for 2 years. I lived there with my three children. The landlord and I had a good relationship, never had any problems even though the apartment was horrible. Anyways, I moved out July 31st, not expecting a full return of my security deposit, but I left the apartment in good condition. It took him 60 days to return my security deposit to me and when I finally received it he charged me $200 for "depreciation of wear and tear" on the carpet. I thought that I couldn't be charged for wear and tear on the carpet... I contacted him about it, but he just keeps saying he is checking on it or it seems like he has been ignoring my phone calls. This seems very unfair, the carpet wasn't new when I moved in and I did live there two years with 3 children. I think he is using that portion of my deposit to replace the carpet. I am thinking about taking him to court, but has anyone been through anything like this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM

979 posts, read 1,775,389 times
A landlord can't charge a tenant for what is typical/normal wear and tear. And certainly not for "depreciation." If that were allowable, no one would ever rent!

Old 10-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
A landlord can't charge a tenant for what is typical/normal wear and tear. And certainly not for "depreciation." If that were allowable, no one would ever rent!
And that is what it says on my itemized list of deductions...200 for depreciation for wear and tear on carpet. I have contacted legal aid for advice but I'm thinking about going to small claims court with my itemized list as proof for what he is really charging me for.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquire86 View Post
And that is what it says on my itemized list of deductions...200 for depreciation for wear and tear on carpet. I have contacted legal aid for advice but I'm thinking about going to small claims court with my itemized list as proof for what he is really charging me for.
Also, they must get you the security deposit or itemized list back in 45 days, so I would definitely consider taking them to court over that as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:19 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
According to Virginia law, a LL must return your security deposit, a list of itemized deductions, and receipts within 45 days. Because he didn't return these items to you within 45 days, you are entitled to a refund of your full security deposit.

Hang on to the check you received - Do not deposit it or cash it. That can be construed as your acceptance of the partial refund.

Was the lease a standard VA residential lease form? Such as this? http://varealtor.com/sites/default/f...-%208-5-11.pdf

Send a demand letter via certified mail requiring a signature demanding a full refund because of their failure to send an itemized deduction and the portion owed within 45 days as per item 3a. of the lease and be sure to include a mailing address for the deposit to be sent. Give them a reasonable time frame - say 7-10 days - to refund the deposit . If it's not returned, take them to small claims court.

Bottom line - they didn't comply with state law, so that makes any claims on your security deposit null and void.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
Also, they must get you the security deposit or itemized list back in 45 days, so I would definitely consider taking them to court over that as well.
Thank you for the information. I did not know that.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
According to Virginia law, a LL must return your security deposit, a list of itemized deductions, and receipts within 45 days. Because he didn't return these items to you within 45 days, you are entitled to a refund of your full security deposit.

Hang on to the check you received - Do not deposit it or cash it. That can be construed as your acceptance of the partial refund.

Was the lease a standard VA residential lease form? Such as this? http://varealtor.com/sites/default/f...-%208-5-11.pdf

Send a demand letter via certified mail requiring a signature demanding a full refund because of their failure to send an itemized deduction and the portion owed within 45 days as per item 3a. of the lease and be sure to include a mailing address for the deposit to be sent. Give them a reasonable time frame - say 7-10 days - to refund the deposit . If it's not returned, take them to small claims court.

Bottom line - they didn't comply with state law, so that makes any claims on your security deposit null and void.
Thank you for the information. I did cash the checks he sent but I still have them because I deposited them using my smartphone. The LL has contacted me though...he wants me to talk with him because he feels I was charged for things I shouldn't have been charged for because he does not do the walkthroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area