Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 85,384 times

Advertisements

Hi :-)

My husband has just been offered a job with Virginia Opera and we are re-locating from Miami at the end of this month, so I am in real need of some information! I am very excited to be getting out of south Florida and want to make a real life for us in Virginia. We are a young couple, without children, so school district isn't a real concern at this point (but will be eventually). We are looking for a rental and would prefer a single family house (2, 3 bedroom) or a townhouse at least. We don't mind commuting into the city if we have to (30 mins would probably be ideally the most we'd like to travel one way) so I am wondering, since I am looking at apartments on-line now, what neighborhoods in the Hampton-Roads areas are good for young professionals. We are weary of the loud, party-crazy city life and are looking to have a place to call home with a good community of people around that are friendly, quiet and respectful. I cannot tell you how sick I am of condo living with neighbors who don't speak English playing their LOUD music until all hours, even if you ask them nicely to turn it down! :-) Just really looking forward to moving to a place that still has moral and ethical values where people respect each other as human beings!

Any suggestions or input would be SO appreciated!

Thanks so much :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM

58 posts, read 211,670 times
Welcome to Hampton Roads....(in advance).

I actually like Virginia Beach and Chesapeake better than Norfolk. The only areas I would really considering living in would be Ghent or Larchmont in Norfolk.... We used to live in Larchmont, but we found ourselves coming back to Virginia Beach every weekend...since we are native to Virginia Beach. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake just have a lot more to offer when you start thinking about kids down the line. They also just have more shopping and are more family friendly in general. Ghent really seems to be good for young couples and singles though...I know some of my friends really enjoyed their time there. We actually rented in a duplex in Larchmont when we lived in Norfolk...We lived in the top half of an old house. It was really nice, but I just prefer to live in Chesapeake or Virginia Beach....At the time, we both worked five minutes away from Larchmont though, so that played a role in our decision to live there. I am not sure of your price range or if there are any particular areas you are interested in?....My husband and I would move to Chesapeake next if we were staying in this area, but we are relocating to NC for his job soon...Let me know some more specifics, and I can probably help more.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 AM

126 posts, read 595,662 times
Based on your post, I would recommend the entire Shore Drive corridor of Virginia Beach. Chicks (Chesapeake) Beach, Thoroughgood, Ocean Park, Pelican Dunes, Baylake Pines, Mariner's Landing (townhomes), Lynnhaven Colony, and Cape Story By the Sea.

In most of these areas you can find rentals in a variety of sizes and prices.

You would also have easy access to Norfolk and I-64, from Shore Drive.

-Mark

Old 01-16-2008, 12:56 PM

22 posts, read 150,884 times
Welcome to Hampton Roads!
Shore Drive area is quite a drive into Norfolk everyday. That will get old fast. Ghent would be first choice but may be pricey. Actually there is a lot out in Northeast Suffolk that is nice, quiet, affordable and central to everything. About 15 minutes to Norfolk down the Western Freeway (I-164) through the Midtown tunnel.
check HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 PM

126 posts, read 595,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmjohnson123 View Post
Welcome to Hampton Roads!
Shore Drive area is quite a drive into Norfolk everyday. That will get old fast. Ghent would be first choice but may be pricey. Actually there is a lot out in Northeast Suffolk that is nice, quiet, affordable and central to everything. About 15 minutes to Norfolk down the Western Freeway (I-164) through the Midtown tunnel.
check HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Chaiya8,

Ghent is a great location to be near downtown Norfolk, well worth looking at further. Don't be misled though on Northeast Suffolk. They have had a recent BOOM in new construction along the entire I-664 corridor. There is alot available there in various price ranges. But I am not so sure that it is central to anything but northeast Suffolk.

About distances however:

It is approx. 13 miles from the Shore Drive area of Virginia Beach (Lynnhaven Inlet) to Waterside Drive in downtown Norfolk. This is 6 miles mostly on a 55 mph divided highway (Northhampton Blvd.), I-64 for 2 miles, then I-264 for 5 miles.

Northeast Suffolk you will drive 8 miles through the city of Portsmouth (I-664, Western Fwy.) until you reach the tunnel. As everyone here knows the tunnels are often a big traffic problem. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the midtown is one lane each way. Then it is a couple miles to downtown. During traffic issues, the only other viable ways in to downtown Norfolk are a boat, or another tunnel (the downtown tunnel). Don't let anyone tell you our tunnels are an enjoyable way to get to work (i.e., tunnels get old even faster).

Hope this helps,

-Mark

Old 01-26-2008, 01:43 AM

24 posts, read 209,993 times
I love the Shore Drive area of Virginia Beach, but if your husband is working for the Opera, I agree that Ghent is by far your best choice. It is a beautiful, historic area of Norfolk with fabulous apartments and townhomes. They are nice, big, renovated historic ones with hard wood floors and balconies. Nice, friendly neighborhoods, plus you can walk to everything. Fabulous restaurants, stores, coffee shops, bars, the Norva where there are a lot of concerts, etc. There are a variety of people living in Ghent with plenty of young people and it still has a neighborhood feel. Several of my friends (late 20's) have lived or do live in Ghent, and they all love(d) it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area