Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
This is complete nonsense. The south bronx in NYC has projects that have 15-20 murders a year. Brooklyn has neighborhoods more dangerous than the whole city of Norfolk. NYC still has open air drug markets, actual gang wars, actual drug wars, Norfolk and surrounding cities aren't the same as NYC at all smh the numbers fool you but this is bogus. Have any of you spent time in any of these cities ghettos? Portsmouth is ghetto but still only in a small city way not anything like NYC. It is still more dangerous than Norfolk. Portsmouth, Norfolk, and Newport News are dangerous in places but those places aren't nearly as dangerous or as large as the dangerous areas in NYC. They often are surrounded by suburbs NYC stays ghetto for miles the 757 is "urban suburbia" if that makes sense.
Someone has never heard of Little Texas before.

You do know there is an active gang war going on near East Little Creek, right?

The firefighters that work that area are getting fitted for flak jackets. That should tell you something.

Norfolk is every bit as dangerous as the "bad" parts of NYC.

Norfolk, Newport News listed among top 30 ‘murder capitals’ in the U.S. | WTKR.com

I'll just leave that there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
They're both dangerous. Each has their own idiosyncrasies. The thing about it is it the devil you know? There are places in my own city I don't go to anymore, because it's entirely different than it was when I grew up there. On that same token, NYC has an entirely different feel than Norfolk. The wrong block, and you've got people coming out of the woodwork. And NYC is segregated different than HR. You can walk through a different neighborhood in HR. Not so much in NYC.

As bad as Norfolk gets, you don't have several blocks of 26 story high rise projects you can't get out of. And there is absolutely nothing like East New York anywhere in Hampton Roads. I just don't see comparing Norfolk's murder rate, which happens every week in cities like NYC and Chicago. Statistically it may look the same on paper. And they fight the police back in Norfolk but there's no comparison to the scale of how things go wrong in the NYC projects, when something really does go down.

Plus Norfolk and Newport News is more of a gang thing. NYC tends to be more individualistic; you could be in a gang in NYC but that doesn't mean those you're in it with won't turn on you. Everyone is suspect up there.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:46 PM

77 posts, read 165,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
Someone has never heard of Little Texas before.

You do know there is an active gang war going on near East Little Creek, right?

The firefighters that work that area are getting fitted for flak jackets. That should tell you something.

Norfolk is every bit as dangerous as the "bad" parts of NYC.

Norfolk, Newport News listed among top 30 ‘murder capitals’ in the U.S. | WTKR.com

I'll just leave that there.
No east NY in NYC or Morrisiana in NYC together have around 30 murders a year. Norfolk as a city has about 40 murders a year. 2 projects vs a whole city. Nowhere in Norfolk is open air drug markets you must not spend any times in either ghettos. Anyone who has spent time in both will tell you how ridiculous it is that people think Norfolk has hoods more dangerous than east ny or flatbush or morrissiana smh. Thats ridiculous.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:27 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
I hate debates about which city or hood is more dangerous. Poverty stricken neighborhoods/projects are all equally as dangerous. I guarantee no one here would want to be caught in any city's rough area when it's going down. I don't care where you're from or what you're used to. I know I wouldn't!

But keep in mind that you have to take into account the population size. Given the higher population of bigger cities, they will naturally have a higher number of murders, but its the rate at which those murders occur given its population size. That's why smaller cities such as New Orleans, St. Louis, Richmond are notorious for their crime and murder.

And as far as Norfolk, all I'm going to say is that it can get pretty crazy. You'd be surprised what goes on in 'the hood' and doesn't make the news. And that's not just Norfolk, that goes for Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, or anywhere for that matter. I remember while in school, I had several classmates from some of the rough parts of NYC tell me that Norfolk was pretty wild and that it reminded them of home. Not that it was worse, but that it was just as bad. (And also 'country' as New Yorkers love to say about places down south lol)

The link below shows just how crazy it can get in the bad areas of Norfolk.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...rginia-n608386

Last edited by VA7cities; 08-03-2016 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-03-2016, 09:50 AM

184 posts, read 235,123 times
This is a bad comparison. NYC is a mega-city, it gots 5 boros,4 of which are bigger then most cities, each of those 5 boros have like 20 neighborhoods, and many of them are about the same size of Norfolk if not slightly smaller. NYC ranges from having super safe neighborhoods to very dangerous ones, so statistically Norfolk may be more dangerous than NYC overall. But NYC got neighborhoods like Brownsville and East NY in Brooklyn and many in the South Bronx as well, that make Norfolk and most other places in Virginia look like a cakewalk in heaven.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:10 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I hate debates about which city or hood is more dangerous. Poverty stricken neighborhoods/projects are all equally as dangerous. I guarantee no one here would want to be caught in any city's rough area when it's going down. I don't care where you're from or what you're used to. I know I wouldn't!

But keep in mind that you have to take into account the population size. Given the higher population of bigger cities, they will naturally have a higher number of murders, but its the rate at which those murders occur given its population size. That's why smaller cities such as New Orleans, St. Louis, Richmond are notorious for their crime and murder.

And as far as Norfolk, all I'm going to say is that it can get pretty crazy. You'd be surprised what goes on in 'the hood' and doesn't make the news. And that's not just Norfolk, that goes for Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, or anywhere for that matter. I remember while in school, I had several classmates from some of the rough parts of NYC tell me that Norfolk was pretty wild and that it reminded them of home. Not that it was worse, but that it was just as bad. (And also 'country' as New Yorkers love to say about places down south lol)

The link below shows just how crazy it can get in the bad areas of Norfolk.

Facebook Live Video Captures Triple Shooting in Norfolk, Virginia - NBC News
I agree with you a lot of what you are saying regarding this issue. The hood is the hood no matter where you go. Honestly, the same types of things occur no matter where you are. With that said, certain cities are traditionally more violent, such as Baltimore, Memphis, St. Louis, and New Orleans. Parts of Norfolk/Portsmouth/Newport News/Richmond are just as bad as the hoods in other cities. However, crime is more widespread in those cities, which is why those cities have a higher crime rate.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:39 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
All I can say is, coming from Ohio, Hampton Roads is a dream. And I truly mean that. I never felt unsafe here. But then again, I never felt unsafe there either. So it's all relative.

Common sense is in order. I still do not understand, I have yet to understand, why a person would be in said neighborhood in the first place. Unless they were lost or were doing something unscrupulous, suspect, there contributing to the street economy. There is nothing in these neighborhoods. No landmark, store, retail, attraction, nothing you can't find in the better neighborhoods in Hampton Roads.

It's like you have urban explorers that go into Detroit to take photographs and archive the urban decay there. Sure it's safe now because the place looks like it has been hit with an atomic bomb. But those people would not have been there back in the seventies and eighties when the decay was in full effect. People go into abandoned buildings just to say that they did it. If they're lucky they don't fall through a floor.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:43 PM

53 posts, read 49,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc919va757sc803 View Post
No east NY in NYC or Morrisiana in NYC together have around 30 murders a year. Norfolk as a city has about 40 murders a year. 2 projects vs a whole city. Nowhere in Norfolk is open air drug markets you must not spend any times in either ghettos. Anyone who has spent time in both will tell you how ridiculous it is that people think Norfolk has hoods more dangerous than east ny or flatbush or morrissiana smh. Thats ridiculous.
You're wildly mistaken East New York nor Morrisiana are public housing units. They are residential communities just as Inglewood is to Los Angeles. East New York and Morrisiana combined has around the same population as Norfolk in 2016. East New York was 179,470 people and Morrisiana was 45,009. You tried to compare the BADDEST communities in NYC to Norfolk but was way off.

In 2016 Norfolk, Virginia had a population of 245,724 with 48 homicides to East New York Morrisiana's population of
224,579 and homicides around 23 murders for East New York, 8 murders for Morrisiana and I'll throw in East Flatbush with 12 homicides with a population of 108,000 residents

Norfolk, Virginia population 245,724 population 48 murders

Morrisiana 45,009
East New York 179,470
East Flatbush 108,837 all add up 333, 316 with 43 murders
----------------------------------------
333,316 combined

I researched and threw East Flatbush in there for you and still got Norfolk, Virginia on top. Currently, East New York has dropped to 128,181 people unlike in 2016. Crack is in Norfolk like NYC and other East Coast cities. New York City is easy street compared to cities like Baltimore, Maryland. Plus, all cities have died down in crime really unlike the early 90's.

Plus, Norfolk, Virginia public housing units are far MORE dangerous than NYC public housing units. You have to walk through Norfolk public housing units but not New York's as their housing units are high rises. The people that stay there may have worries but not passer byers.

New York is only dangerous to people that stay there but not your average person.

[Homicides and shootings have spiked. There were 48 killings in Norfolk in 2016, after an average of 35 per year in the previous five. Guns accounted for 45 of the deaths, including five police shootings, and 240 people survived being shot, compared with 170 the year before.]

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/u...ate-statistics

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...els-1514420267

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...y/residents/in

Last edited by Deerhound; 01-13-2021 at 09:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area