Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2008, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,417 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're relocating to Virginia Beach from New York but seem to be going nowhere in the search to rent a house. I check craigslist daily but when I email the listing, the people don't respond. I'm wondering if any one has any insight to the rental market in this area. I saw several listings for homes that are "almost in foreclosure" or military families. Are owners (or brokers) just looking for people to take over these mortgages? Or do they just want military families? I'm just trying to get some information about how things go because its vastly different in New York (i.e. brokers represent rental properties and charge a fee/percentage to find you a place).

Should i just stick with an apartment because its easier? If so, any leads on apartment complexes that are nice for a couple with a small baby? We're looking for a 3 bedroom, washer/dryer, garden area, covered parking garage (this is why we wanted a house)!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 AM

132 posts, read 661,172 times
What price range are you looking for?

Old 03-28-2008, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,388 times
Hi, all - ears are perked here as my family and I are in a similar situation, we just moved to va beach, looking for an apartment that is not pocket-breaking. We have 2 small boys, and would like a 2 bedroom, safety of course being an issue. We scour craigslist and the Pilotonline but havent had any luck, as most of the ads are big management companies and we would prefer a private owner as opposed to a huge apartment complex.
We are not military. Would like something under 900 per month. Anybody have any leads? Thanks.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
The rental prices are very high here. We bought a house because we could not afford the rent!!!!! However, if you call a realtor. they can sometimes help you uncover the private rental situations.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:05 PM

28 posts, read 103,167 times
First off, you need to establish where in VA Beach you want to settle, seeing as though VA Beach covers alot of land area and property prices are up and down everywhere because of the back and forth proximity to water. Obviously this meaning anything close to the bay, beach, inlets, marshes etc... are priced higher.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:09 AM

19 posts, read 84,105 times
You can find LOTS of privately owned rentals that are managed by real estate agents on the local MLS websites (covers all of southeastern virginia). They are sometimes advertised on craigslist, etc. but many are not advertised at all. You can enter your search criteria (area, price range, #BR....) and see what comes up.
I do not handle rentals (although I'm happy to answer any questions folks have), but I don't know of any rental agents that charge fees. They will, obviously, want you to rent one of their listings, but many are happy to show you others, as they should get a referral fee from the listing company.
The other person wanting to stay away from "huge management companies" take note as well, because any agent has access to ALL the rentals on the MLS in the area. But you both can do preliminary research yourselves before contacting the property manager.
Also, I don't know anything specific about them, but there are plenty of apartment complexes, many new ones in the area, but you will pay similar amounts for similar amenities. Just a matter of preference.....
Homes that are "almost in foreclosure" could mean a variety of things. You should have an agent get details for you.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM

25 posts, read 127,124 times
Hey there! Renting an apartment is not cheap in Virginia Beach!!! You are better off renting a home or townhouse. If you are adamant about an apartment I have lived in Reflections Apts by Lynnhaven Mall which was convenient to the highway, the mall, stores, ect...however they overcharge for their apts. I also lived in Magnolia Place which was kind of out in the cut but that was the best apartment and would be a quiet safe place for a family. However, I would definitely email a real estate agent and get the rental listings. That would be way more productive for you! Goodluck!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 PM

136 posts, read 515,866 times
Hey, apartments are less rent out of pocket then townhomes or houses. Most houses in neighborhoods, in my neighborhood for example are 1,200 to 1,400 a month and that is a 3 bedroom. If you are lucky you can find a 2 bedroom apartment for 1,000 in a decent rental community. Make sure you look on a map to find exactly where it is located. Some neighborhoods are not that nice and a couple are like projects. You can look on apartment ratings to get more info.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:13 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
I guess you can't post links, so all I can tell ya, is if you want a yard, houses and townhouses are the way to go. You get what you pay for, so choose your neighborhood wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
View detailed profiles of: