Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 02:22 PM

9 posts, read 42,633 times

Advertisements

So I know ppl don't really want this to be an "I'm moving to the area" thread, but I am and I need some help please!

I took a road trip down to the Hampton Roads area this past weekend. We stayed at a friend's house in Portsmouth. Not so lovely in my opinion...

We also looked around the peninsula, which we REALLY liked. Especially Poquoson and Yorktown. Now, I have narrowed it down to King's Ridge in Newport News, and Pines of York in Yorktown, in addition to possibly scoping out Falcon Creek in Yorktown as well as Jefferson Point in Newport News. (We are renting, and on a tight budget so we can save to buy a house). I

I am a teacher, and I am interested in teaching at either the Yorktown or Poquoson schools.

I discovered a few beaches near these areas:

-Buckroe Beach
-Yorktown Beach
-Huntington Park

Can anyone please give me any information at all about these apartment complexes and / or the beaches I've listed?

You all have been such a great help. THANK YOU!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM

56 posts, read 155,268 times
Buckroe beach is really nice. I own a beach cottage out there, and I love the summers. It's usually really fun and crazy up until July 4th, then things quiet down into late summer and fall.

I think there are several condos for rent in the area for ~ $1200-$1500/Month.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
We lived in Yorktown (off of McGruder) so are very familiar with the area you are talking about. Buckroe is a nice area and if I recall, they have spent some money on the area a few years back. Yorktonn is nice as well. My daughter and her frineds used to enjoy going there. They are relativley small beaches compared to what I was used to but nice areas. Pines of York is a good location but I know nothing about the apartments or managment company. I know someones who had a son living in Falcon Creek and they were very please with the apartment and the managment company. They are new so that is nice as well. It is a great area to live and raise a family. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2008, 12:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,333,333 times
There is really not alot of 'shopping' near the Huntington Beach area. I mean grocery, drug stores etc unless you go over the James River Bridge in Isle of Wight. We looked at the apts right next to HB for my dad and when I asked about shopping, she said the Walmart was 15 min away!!! Personally, I like to have a grocery store right around the corner....

I DO really like the Eagle Harbor area and the Bennets Creek area in Suffolk/Isle of Wight. The area is growing slowly with new housing (apts, condo's, SFH) yet you still feel safe and secluded.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:23 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Try Sandbridge in Virginia Beach. Nice area, quiet and the Ocean isn't far away!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 AM

6 posts, read 22,831 times
Sandbridge isn't for people that are on a tight budget. Rentals there
are over $2K PER WEEK during the summer.
Hampton and Newport News near the Big Bethel area and Saunders Road
area sound like what you're looking for. Poquoson and York County are close by
that area so you'd be in a great area.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
I have friends that grew up in Poquoson and now live in Williamsburg and I have to tell you that they love!!!! Poquoson!!!! As far as York County goes, my husband lived in Grafton Station for a while and really liked it. He has also had friends live in this apartment complex off of Hwy 17...I cannot remember the name of them but if you are coming from Gloucester, they are on the right hand side before the McDonald's and they are kind of tucked away from the road a little bit...I just cannot remember the name of them, but they are very nice and our friends never had any problems living there.
Not sure if this helps at all since I cannot remember the name of those apartments, but I can tell you that everyone we have ever known to live in Yorktown has loved the area, the schools....everything!
Good luck and sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area