Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:02 PM

8 posts, read 29,315 times

Advertisements

I'm in need some advise now. My husband is getting a job in Virginia Beach Military base, so we will be relocating to Tidewater area. So, here is my dilemma. I do not know where to move...I have done some quick research about schools. It seems that Princess Anne and Franck Cox high school areas are ok. However my kids are just starting school. One is 4 and the other is 3. So a lot can change this time. I'm also open about moving for example to Newport News, maybe something around Huntington beach area. However I do not know if the schools are any good there. Some school research web sites give also conflicting info. For example Warwick is rated high in some web sites others however it is rated really low. I also heard that Norfolk Ghent area is nice, I could not find out any information about it from the web though. Anyway, long story short, I want the best of the best PUBLIC school in Tidewater area. Low gang activity, you know all the best. I do not want my kid to be the only white kid in the class either. Please, I hope you guys understand and hopefully you will share you knowledge with me. I do thank you in advance. PS. House price should be around $250000 or less range. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 06:23 AM

239 posts, read 633,440 times
Hi Kanka,

I don't know much about VA Beach schools, but have heard Cox, First Colonial, Princess Anne, and Kellam high schools are probably the best. For Chesapeake, I would choose Great Bridge, Hickory, or Grassfield. Keep in mind too that like you said by the time your kids are in high school there will probably be another new high school built or they may rezone your area. If your husband will be working in Virgina Beach I would live in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake, the commute from Newport News would be a nightmare. Ghent is the upscale area of Norfolk and it is probably a nice area to live, but remember you are still surrounded by Norfolk and that fact plus the extreme cost of living to me does not make it worth it.

You might have a hard time finding a decent place in a good school district for $250K. It used to not be that way in this area, but unfortunately this area has skyrocketed over the past 5 years (or fortunately if you already owned). Your best bet might be getting a condo/townhouse. Remember that you can always move later on once your kids are closer to high school age.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 AM

132 posts, read 661,221 times
Try the Kempsville area of VB. Home prices have fallen across HR, and you can now buy in the 250-275 range in this area. I was born and raised here. When comparing schools, Kempsville is usually on of the better choices in VB. Sure every schools have their issues, and Kempsville is no different, but for the last 30plus years it has been known as one of the better areas to live in. Centrally located in VB, and 15-20 min from anywhere in HR.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:21 AM

136 posts, read 515,919 times
I definately agree that Kempsville is the best for the price. We love it and we are close to everything. The schools are good too. You can go onto vbschools.com to get info on the schools in Virginia Beach. Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 PM

19 posts, read 84,121 times
You are starting off right by researching the schools on the web site! I live in the Princess Anne school district, where my daughter graduated. We are close to Kempsville, so also centrally located. Our elementary schools here are Thalia and Malibu, which are also very highly sought after. We are ten minutes from the ocean or bay, and a couple of minutes to the interstate. You can find a nice 3BR, 1400 square foot older home built in the 60's under $250K, or a larger townhouse, 1700 - 1900 square feet, built in the 80's in my area. We love it here. We walked down to Town Center last night for dinner, and ate outside by the fountain. It's about a twenty minute walk, sidewalks all the way. Close to everything, but off the beaten path. We are just about in the middle, between Little Creek and Oceana, you didn't say which base your husband would be at.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 44,386 times
i would do private school if at all possible. we didn't like our kids' schools. we had 3 in elementary and one in middle school. and we hated both schools. we tried to get an out of zone permit for 2 years straight and were denied both times. however we heard that mary colcott was good. so was suburban park. these are both elementary schools. but the people i knew that sent thier kids there, liked them.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:21 PM

8 posts, read 29,315 times
Default Year around schools

Do you guys know if any of the schools are year around schools? The house prices are high. So far I think that Great Neck, Kempsville, and Princess Anne school areas have cought my eye.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanka View Post
Do you guys know if any of the schools are year around schools? The house prices are high. So far I think that Great Neck, Kempsville, and Princess Anne school areas have cought my eye.
There arent any schools in VB that I know of that go year round. All of the above areas in VB are good choices.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:08 PM

67 posts, read 266,845 times
corporate landing elem and middle are year round, and possibly birdneck elem. if you are going to be at oceana, corporate landing would be the closest school system to you, some affordable areas around there, ocean lakes is the high school.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM

VBCPS - Does the year-round school concept interest you as a parent? Would you like your elementary-age child to attend a year-round school? If the answer is YES, please read the following information. (http://www.vbschools.com/schools/year_round/index.asp - broken link)

Wow, I have lived here my whole life and didnt realize that these were year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area