Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 PM

266 posts, read 867,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masshiker View Post
Being a native New Englander, I find this to be the part I miss the most - no snow.

I am from Massachusetts. If I ever do make the move to VA, the snow would be the LAST thing that I miss. LOL

Dee
I'm from mass and currently reside in Hampton roads. Surprisingly enough I miss the snow too. Never thought that would happen! lol. I do compare the weather here to New England except milder in the winter and more humid in the summer (my hair (in the summer)is testimony to the humid weather in the summer haha)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 AM

18 posts, read 48,404 times
Here is an honest option that no one else will give you.

If you are relocation to this area, please keep one thing in mind.

It’s a beautiful town, but the people from here suck.

I also relocated here from Brooklyn and found this to be Hillbilly country.

They are all back stabbers and will rat you out in a minute.

They will not help you unless they get something in return.

They don't know what good food is.

They have no morals or self-respect.

They would rather buy a six-pack of Beer before they buy a gallon of Milk for their children.

They all drink beer the minute they get home and they think it's cool.

They have no loyalty to their employer and will leave the company for a 25-cent increase if offered by another company.

They are not friendly and will not go out of their way for anyone.

They can't drive to save their life.

To sum it up, Hamptonroads SUCKS

Old 10-11-2009, 07:37 AM

239 posts, read 633,440 times
Don't hold back here, tell us how you really feel .

I don't think you can sum up everyone in Hampton Roads into those categories and I wouldn't really call it hillbilly country. But I agree that people from here are not friendly, especially coming from where the OP is from (Maine). It is funny how you just get used to drive thru servers not even acknowledging you or your neighbors never waving hi when they walk by, or retail workers acting like you are bothering them when you have a question. Then you visit somewhere else and it is shocking how friendly people are.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james12 View Post
Here is an honest option that no one else will give you.

If you are relocation to this area, please keep one thing in mind.

It’s a beautiful town, but the people from here suck.

I also relocated here from Brooklyn and found this to be Hillbilly country.

They are all back stabbers and will rat you out in a minute.

They will not help you unless they get something in return.

They don't know what good food is.

They have no morals or self-respect.

They would rather buy a six-pack of Beer before they buy a gallon of Milk for their children.

They all drink beer the minute they get home and they think it's cool.

They have no loyalty to their employer and will leave the company for a 25-cent increase if offered by another company.

They are not friendly and will not go out of their way for anyone.

They can't drive to save their life.

To sum it up, Hamptonroads SUCKS

James,
You from Brooklyn NY?
BTW yes you hit the nail square on the head except for a few changes:
  1. I would substitute "Redneck" for Hillbilly" (and they are proud of it).
  2. The girls here think getting pregnant is a way to have an income for 18 years.
  3. The act like the south won the civil war!
  4. They are passive aggressive.
  5. The are tough behind the wheel of a moving car, but panic when confronted.
  6. Don't expect "Southern Hospitality"
  7. They live by the motto "It is what it is"
  8. PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX ON MY PAID OFF CAR?
In a nutshell, moving here... a big mistake, and yes we will be moving as soon as the real estate market recovers.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:52 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynnes_mommy View Post
I am from piscataquis county, you know, in the sticks. I have never actually been to Chesapeake, but I am sure I will do just fine. I have looked online for some things to do with my daughter. My ex-husband is helping us move sometime in October. I was very happy to figure out that my Tarheels are only 3 hours away =) That really stinks that there is not much football. This is just something new for us. We are not making any advancements up here, so we just want something different.
If you are looking for "advancements" this area is not where you need to be. Just being honest. You will likely get sucked in to the "50% of more of net income on housing" trap that most of us are in. You will also find that your professional career will be rediculously stunted, especially if you are in cutting edge technology or corporate accounting/finance.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post

James,
You from Brooklyn NY?
BTW yes you hit the nail square on the head except for a few changes:
  2. The girls here think getting pregnant is a way to have an income for 18 years.
In a nutshell, moving here... a big mistake, and yes we will be moving as soon as the real estate market recovers.

Another person that lives in another reality (their own!).

Old 10-14-2009, 09:21 AM

388 posts, read 856,162 times
Chesepeake ...Well I wouldn't exactly call Chesepeake redneck country...But If you go down around the deep creek area well then you might consider it red neck...that is a kind of an odd area. I do agree with back stabbers in Chesapeake, thats how the area was pretty much developed. The land was pretty much stolen off of farmers by the rich bearucrats (however you spell that) theyd offer them money, about half the cost of the land and if they didn't except they would tame them to court and well it's pretty much a givin after that point because the farmers didn't have the money to contest and well it was pretty much givin over. sad huh...attitudes yea they sucked up there, but we didn't have much of interaction with alot of people up there, we pretty much kept to our selves. That hole area up there is pretty much a melting pot of people from all over the country, due to having the largest naval base in Norfolk! But atleast they had work. Oh yea...traffic, talk about road rage....thats a whole separate topic.. Now I'm deffinitely not sticking up for Chesapeake because I'd have to agree with you on alot, But believe you me when I say the grass isn't much greener else where!!! Listen to me when I say that....

Old 10-14-2009, 12:10 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Another person that lives in another reality (their own!).
Sorry Babe,
I retired here with great expectations and the "reality" that I live in has been formed by my experiences of living here. And if you can't be honest enough with yourself to see Chesapeake's shortcomings then I am living in "your reality".
  1. Not to say that Chesapeake doesn't have good points as well.
  2. The schools system is excellent.
  3. The cost of living in insanely low
  4. It is secluded enough, yet close to civilization.
  5. The majority of the areas are nice, safe neighborhoods
  6. And I will correct my prior statements to say MANY not all the people living here. I have found some decent people.
But I'm not trying to start a flame war and hey, what can you do, It is what it is right?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:01 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJR View Post
Sorry Babe,
I retired here with great expectations and the "reality" that I live in has been formed by my experiences of living here. And if you can't be honest enough with yourself to see Chesapeake's shortcomings then I am living in "your reality".
  1. Not to say that Chesapeake doesn't have good points as well.
  2. The schools system is excellent.
  3. The cost of living in insanely low
  4. It is secluded enough, yet close to civilization.
  5. The majority of the areas are nice, safe neighborhoods
  6. And I will correct my prior statements to say MANY not all the people living here. I have found some decent people.
But I'm not trying to start a flame war and hey, what can you do, It is what it is right?

Me either, "Babe", but...in response to your list...

You're hanging out in the wrong places. That's all I can offer you. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake both have a large number of farming folks. If you consider that to be redneck, then I'll agree with you.

Sounds like someone needs to learn to spell c.o.n.d.o.m.

Guessing this is because you see a flag being flown? Read up on that...it would take more time than I have here.

Again...not sure where you are hanging.

And this makes NO sense at all.

I've seen more here than anywhere.

Who doesn't??

Try paying off your house, and see if that gets you out of the real estate tax.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:45 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,455,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Me either, "Babe", but...in response to your list...

You're hanging out in the wrong places. That's all I can offer you. Virginia Beach and Chesapeake both have a large number of farming folks. If you consider that to be redneck, then I'll agree with you.

Sounds like someone needs to learn to spell c.o.n.d.o.m.

Guessing this is because you see a flag being flown? Read up on that...it would take more time than I have here.

Again...not sure where you are hanging.

And this makes NO sense at all.

I've seen more here than anywhere.

Who doesn't??

Try paying off your house, and see if that gets you out of the real estate tax.

LOL....this is just too funny. Obviously NOT from the east coast, because even the "missed" state of Massachusetts has personal property tax. They just call it something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area