Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM

111 posts, read 364,297 times

Advertisements

It does not cover all that is taught throughout the year. Additionally, a child can pass with a 69! If you have a school that says it has a high pass rate, please consider that fact. It doesn't mean they all passed with a high score. I think most parents do not realize that is the cut off for passing the SOL.

Right now we are being told to give the kids at least a 50 even if they don't do an assignment or fail a test or quiz. How is that good? It does not teach any personal responsiblity or accountability. This is the new policy this year. Reports cards are about to go out, and I can tell you that at my school teachers are inflating grades like crazy to keep administrators off their backs. Principals think it looks good for them downtown if they have high grades. Many students have been placed in advanced classes by the school even though some did not pass the SOL last year. Again, it looks good for the school. Until you teach in the system, there is much you might not know. It isn't just this school. I have taught at another in this city, and grades were inflated. We are told to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 PM

111 posts, read 364,297 times
Default Kellam

Shelley,

I taught at that school for five years. They do inflate grades there. We were told to make sure that the grade point averages of advanced kids stayed above a certain number. In general, if grades were low for any student, we were advised to drop their low grades to raise the overall grade. It isn't a bad school, but parents don't know what goes on. We are taught to hush up about these things.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:19 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Shelley,

I taught at that school for five years. They do inflate grades there. We were told to make sure that the grade point averages of advanced kids stayed above a certain number. In general, if grades were low for any student, we were advised to drop their low grades to raise the overall grade. It isn't a bad school, but parents don't know what goes on. We are taught to hush up about these things.
They inflate grades at every school. I'm convinced of it. It's called "No Child Left Behind". And it's crap. My son has been in the advanced/honors classes since they were first offered to him in the 4th or 5th grade, and I consider them to be truly what every class SHOULD be. Everything else is just stepping over a low bar.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:37 PM

162 posts, read 638,499 times
I have a friend who had one child at Hickory and another at Cox a couple years later. I have to say they were much happier with Hickory.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:41 PM

162 posts, read 801,685 times
What is the concensus about Ocean Lakes High? That's where my kids would go.

They're in elementary school now, though, so we could move by the time they are old enough for high school.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjbward View Post
What is the concensus about Ocean Lakes High? That's where my kids would go.

They're in elementary school now, though, so we could move by the time they are old enough for high school.
Ocean Lakes High is NOT a great school.

Old 11-06-2008, 07:11 PM

87 posts, read 334,400 times
Default What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ocean Lakes High is NOT a great school.
I teach at a VB high school and am an engineering graduate of UVA. I was born and raised in a very affluent area of northern NJ. I have worked as an engineering manager and a teacher at an exclusive New England boarding school where most kids matriculated at Ivy League institutions.

You can make what you want of the public schools in VB. The schools are big. There are drugs. Fights occur from time to time. But come on. . . they're pretty good here. I have taught kids who have gone to Duke, UVA, Princeton and Penn (both Ivy League) in the last YEAR. The schools here are as good as you want them to be. Some kids (and parents) will always be knuckleheads and screw up, while others will take advantage of the opportunities afforded them.

Ocean Lakes has an excellent academy program and CAN BE a great, no outstanding, school if you seek these opportunities. Do not listen to the poster above.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:40 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
I am so glad that another perspective is being given. This is my experience, and I know teachers in the system as well.

Shelly

Old 11-07-2008, 08:06 PM

87 posts, read 334,400 times
Default Cox v. Hickory

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Beaches View Post
I have a friend who had one child at Hickory and another at Cox a couple years later. I have to say they were much happier with Hickory.
Cox is probabily academically stronger than Hickory (real stats: college admissions, SAT averages, AP 3+ scores) but is known to be snooty as there is a lot of money there. Hickory is a very strong HS too, but is a little more down to earth.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbehson View Post
I teach at a VB high school and am an engineering graduate of UVA. I was born and raised in a very affluent area of northern NJ. I have worked as an engineering manager and a teacher at an exclusive New England boarding school where most kids matriculated at Ivy League institutions.

You can make what you want of the public schools in VB. The schools are big. There are drugs. Fights occur from time to time. But come on. . . they're pretty good here. I have taught kids who have gone to Duke, UVA, Princeton and Penn (both Ivy League) in the last YEAR. The schools here are as good as you want them to be. Some kids (and parents) will always be knuckleheads and screw up, while others will take advantage of the opportunities afforded them.

Ocean Lakes has an excellent academy program and CAN BE a great, no outstanding, school if you seek these opportunities. Do not listen to the poster above.
I know several teachers there and also a few parents, and I am only going by their opinions. That's why I just left it at a short comment. Their experiences could be in the minority, so take it for what you will. I DON'T agree with the comment that the schools will be as good as you want them to be. Wanting a school to be a good one, won't make it so. If that were so, I wouldn't be having to tell the kids working in the stores how to count back my change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area