Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times

Advertisements

I like this post. My husband works in the Hampton Road area. We moved to this area last summer. My husband had to find us a place to live and he got advice and we live in the Elisabeth City , North Carolina area. I feel like I'm living in the land of watching paint dry. I want to go to the Mall that has what 6 stores and yell to people are you living here at gun point. In July I really want to move to Virgina and I hope we can. I need to see a Target that doesn't take 45 mins to drive to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 12:09 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
I like this post. My husband works in the Hampton Road area. We moved to this area last summer. My husband had to find us a place to live and he got advice and we live in the Elisabeth City , North Carolina area. I feel like I'm living in the land of watching paint dry. I want to go to the Mall that has what 6 stores and yell to people are you living here at gun point. In July I really want to move to Virgina and I hope we can. I need to see a Target that doesn't take 45 mins to drive to.
So the thing you like most about Hampton Roads is its abundance of Targets, haha. Me too!

Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,537,964 times
I moved to the area in Mid July. I went to Target at Christmas, this was the first Target since we moved from Michigan. I told my husband take my picture. I can't seem to understand how to get from where we live to the Greenbriar Mall area. This is the kind of shopper I am . When I need something I want to be able to go to several places if I need to and see who has the best product at the best price. Here that is Walmart. I have nothing against Walmart but they don't have sales..sorry.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:17 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,123 times
We lived in Yorktown for 7 years (moved away in 2007) and we really enjoyed and miss the area. I think Mr Williamsburg covered the positives for us but some of our top pluses were our community, the people, the fact that we could get to great beaches, great cities or the mountains in such an easy trip, the education our children recieved, 4 climates but no extremes and the friends our kids formed lasting relationships with...

Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM

42 posts, read 141,907 times
I love fishing! There are so many places to go and both salt and freshwater are available.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,273 times
Default The good ol' days

I can't say much about Hampton Roads today, but I can say I loved growing up in Newport News in the '60's.

I lived in Brentwood, and went to Sedgefield Elem. 1st through 7th grade (is Elem. school in NN still 1-7 grades?). My best friend and I rode our bikes all over NN. We rode to the Mariner's Museum, the War Memorial Museum, Deer Park, and to a theater across from a Methodist church (First Meth.?) called the Village Theater. Could a couple of ten year old boys do all that today?

And even better for a young boy was the closeness of Jamestown, Yorktown, and Williamsburg. Back then I knew all three like the back of my hand.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM

97 posts, read 389,890 times
I like this thread, cause it is finally something positive about this area.

We moved here in 1996 and at first it was very hard to like this place since people don't seem to want to get too close to you because you are military and could move tomorrow.
Well, we are military and have been here for over 12 years now.
I know this area pretty good now and made some dear friends.
It is home and I am having a hard time thinking of moving away from here.

I really love the beautiful nature of HR and the combination of this with the beach is just incredible.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 AM

154 posts, read 291,156 times
Being so close to the beach is amazing, very energizing. A friend mentioned it's all the negative ions here that makes it so uplifting. After I read a little about negative ions, I tend to agree. People seem so happy here.

This seems to be a very dog friendly city as well, or at least my neightborhood is dog friendly. Many store owners or employees have welcomed my dog into their shops. That just astounds me.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:10 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnny View Post
Being so close to the beach is amazing, very energizing. A friend mentioned it's all the negative ions here that makes it so uplifting. After I read a little about negative ions, I tend to agree. People seem so happy here.

This seems to be a very dog friendly city as well, or at least my neightborhood is dog friendly. Many store owners or employees have welcomed my dog into their shops. That just astounds me.

I won't take my dog shopping. She spends too much money!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:05 AM

154 posts, read 291,156 times
LOL Erma... my dog prefers shoplifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area