Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM

83 posts, read 225,267 times

Advertisements

Whoa, that's a lot of house for the money. Indy is cold, but I think someone brought up the comparison because a member here had considered moving there. I think everyone is just making a point that we are really getting ridiculous here with housing when job opportunities are slim and the money stinks! That would definitely be at least $700-800k here.

Another crazy point about that house is that it's been on the market for 294 days, so maybe they should consider lowering their price... or maybe they're some of those delusional sellers ;-) So likely someone will get that house for much less than $355k at this point.

I know when I was looking to go to grad school at Auburn University in Alabama, I could have bought a a brand new, all brick ranch with about 2,400 sq ft and all upgrades (stainless, jetted tub, hardwood/tile, etc) with a big yard for about $215k. This was only about a year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 03:13 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph22679VA View Post
Whoa, that's a lot of house for the money. Indy is cold, but I think someone brought up the comparison because a member here had considered moving there. I think everyone is just making a point that we are really getting ridiculous here with housing when job opportunities are slim and the money stinks! That would definitely be at least $700-800k here.

Another crazy point about that house is that it's been on the market for 294 days, so maybe they should consider lowering their price... or maybe they're some of those delusional sellers ;-) So likely someone will get that house for much less than $355k at this point.

I know when I was looking to go to grad school at Auburn University in Alabama, I could have bought a a brand new, all brick ranch with about 2,400 sq ft and all upgrades (stainless, jetted tub, hardwood/tile, etc) with a big yard for about $215k. This was only about a year ago.
Florida's housing prices are very low. We priced a house similar to ours, just for S & G in Ponte Vedra, which is on the water between Jax and St. Augustine. With factory and city jobs being cut down there, people are trying to off load before it gets hard for them to keep up the mortgages.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 AM

Hello group! Just updating here to let everyone know who followed this thread that we finally have a ratified contract!! We are very happy and love what we have a contract on. We had the home inspection yesterday and everything was nearly perfect, so full speed ahead! We are hoping to close within a month. Stephanie

Old 03-12-2009, 09:41 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
Congratulations! So which area did you end up deciding on?

Last edited by citydweller; 03-12-2009 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 03-12-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Congratulations! So which area did you end up deciding on?
Thank you!! We ended up going with a property off of Shore Dr We're only a couple of blocks from the bay and it's in a nice area. We also met some neighbors yesterday and they were our age (early 30's) and seemed really fun.

I am soooooooooooo glad that whole house hunt is over, I don't think I could take another second. We're just crossing our fingers nothing comes up to delay this process! I'll definitely post here as I get updates on where we are in the process!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 AM

85 posts, read 319,775 times
Pictures ??? of the big investment ??

Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph22679VA View Post
Thank you!! We ended up going with a property off of Shore Dr We're only a couple of blocks from the bay and it's in a nice area. We also met some neighbors yesterday and they were our age (early 30's) and seemed really fun.

I am soooooooooooo glad that whole house hunt is over, I don't think I could take another second. We're just crossing our fingers nothing comes up to delay this process! I'll definitely post here as I get updates on where we are in the process!

Awesome! You will absolutely enjoy living there! Come on down to the Lesner Bridge and beach fish with us!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Steph, congratulations on the home! Good to hear that your search is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefreq View Post
Pictures ??? of the big investment ??
I don't think anybody should post pictures of their home. There's too many weirdos out in the world. This is a public forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Awesome! You will absolutely enjoy living there! Come on down to the Lesner Bridge and beach fish with us!
City-Data fishing trip?

Old 03-14-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Steph, congratulations on the home! Good to hear that your search is over.

I don't think anybody should post pictures of their home. There's too many weirdos out in the world. This is a public forum.

City-Data fishing trip?

Yes, I totally agree about posting pictures of your home, even your kids or family pets. The world today is just not as honest as it used to be...unfortunately.

Hey, fishing is good for the soul. Come on down and work on your tan! We went to the RV show yesterday...OMG, the prices are awesome and there's a 30 footer we fell in love with. Me may have a new summer home next year!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
I work with a lot of military that are relocating to and from the area and I have my own take on the home prices in the Hampton Roads area. I am prior mil and my wife is still active duty and we have lived in several different markets. One observation that I have made is the fact that there are a lot of military who have orders or are about to get orders very soon. Some of these families came in before the housing market peaked and others came in at the very top and ended up paying more than there houses are now worth in today's market. I think one person asked earlier why the market here is still commanding higher prices for homes compared to rest of country. I primarily feel it is because of the military and the fact that there is always going to be transient families coming in and out of the area. The families that moved here around 05' and that have orders are going to have to sell there homes at just about what they paid for them. This is going to vary a littlefrom area to area and it depends on where you are located but I am seeing it more and more with the houses that are on currently on the market. I would say that there are a big majority priced just high enough to cover the buyers closing costs and other fees.
There are a lot of bank owned properties that are starting to show up on the market as well. If your patient and your willing to take your time you can find some values on some homes out there. The only drawback is that banks are terrible negotiators and they love to take their time on contracts and negotiating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area