Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I dont see those numbers....Va Bch does not have enough open land to build on to add another 250K residents unless they do away with the green line and allow cluster building in southern Va Bch.... The biggest growth Va Bch had was during the 50's, 60's and 70's by far and numbers like those will never be able to be reached again

I hope not, but I'd say that is what is going to happen. Isn't Landstown commons on/in the Green Line??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:41 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I hope not, but I'd say that is what is going to happen. Isn't Landstown commons on/in the Green Line??
OMG you guys are so confusing.

You don't want to breach the greenline, yet you are all against dense, urban redevelopmet around the light rail that would counteract sprawl.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:50 AM

How about we just keep steady where we are?? Why must we grow??

Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,343,694 times
Quote:
It's inevitable. It will happen whether you want it to or not. With the expansion of the port we will have a huge surplus of jobs, meaning growth.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:26 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Because if you grow in a limited area, your populations density increases. That's common sense, duh, but-from another forum where you are arguing against light rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696
You're correct the interstates are a money pits. I rarely use them. I think people should live close to their work and shopping.
I agree. They should live close to their work and shopping. That's a lot easier when there is more work and shopping AVAILABLE near where you live. Thus, growth and increased density. Your own thesis-live near work and shopping. Obvious solution: density.

Light rail not only feeds off that, it ASSISTS that because new businesses and homes locate near stops-see Portland, Oregon for a great example of growth, in a limited urban area, shaped by light rail. It's darn near DC metro level in some areas-you don't need a car to get almost anything done. And I think that's a great thing.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Because if you grow in a limited area, your populations density increases. That's common sense, duh, but-from another forum where you are arguing against light rail.

I agree. They should live close to their work and shopping. That's a lot easier when there is more work and shopping AVAILABLE near where you live. Thus, growth and increased density. Your own thesis-live near work and shopping. Obvious solution: density.

Light rail not only feeds off that, it ASSISTS that because new businesses and homes locate near stops-see Portland, Oregon for a great example of growth, in a limited urban area, shaped by light rail. It's darn near DC metro level in some areas-you don't need a car to get almost anything done. And I think that's a great thing.
I'm sorry is this the light rail thread???

Old 12-31-2009, 06:44 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,020,557 times
Quote:
No the green line in that section of Va Bch runs anything south of Indian River Rd

Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
I'm sorry is this the light rail thread???
It is when you argue AGAINST density in one thread, then ***** and whine about how rail won't work because...not enough density.

You're arguing against yourself and being disingenuous with this zinger. Are you FOR or AGAINST additional population density? If you're against, fine. Now go back and rethink your arguments about why light rail WON'T work in the other thread....otherwise you're saying
a) I'm against population density
b) Light rail won't work because the population isn't dense enough
c) I'm AGAINST light rail because it would LEAD to population density
d) Go to a, so the metro never advances

Old 12-31-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
It is when you argue AGAINST density in one thread, then ***** and whine about how rail won't work because...not enough density.

Or wait, maybe there IS enough density. Just not population.
See there is where you are wrong. I don't want the light rail because I think it is not a necessity in the current economic climate. The number of residents that will benefit from the light rail does not justify the cost. The city is looking at ways to cut the budget. Class sizes are increasing, and the city is asking if people would prefer layoffs or a decrease in hours. For me the cost to benefit factor is not there, and will not be there for many years to come. I would be all for it if I thought the cost was worth the benefit, but IMO it is not. Sure there are grants, but they will not cover everything. The upkeep alone will cost millions, and lets not forget about the start up costs and the inevitable construction cost overruns.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:58 PM

GeorgiaTransplant
My responses are in red

You're arguing against yourself and being disingenuous with this zinger. Are you FOR or AGAINST additional population density? If you're against, fine. Now go back and rethink your arguments about why light rail WON'T work in the other thread....otherwise you're saying
a) I'm against population density true
b) Light rail won't work because the population isn't dense enough thank goodness!! I like my space.
c) I'm AGAINST light rail because it would LEAD to population density That and I don't see the benifit being worth the cost
d) Go to a, so the metro never advances I've been here my whole life (other than a year each in Anchorage and San Diego). How long have you been here?? Not everyone wants growth. Growth isn't always the best thing for an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area