Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:15 PM

98 posts, read 178,981 times

Advertisements

I saw somebody's comment that a hurricane in Hampton Roads = New Orleans II.

Since we will be moving to the area, can you tell me about your experiences? We have some family heirlooms that I'm not sure if I should move with us or give them to another family member.

I've lived through minor floods, and we come from them mid-west originally, so we've always had the threat of tornadoes in the spring. (Neither of us have had any major tornado issues, though.)

When was the last time a hurricane hit and how bad was it? How frequent are they? Love water, but I'm a wee bit nervous about THAT much water.....

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,622,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sHome? View Post
I saw somebody's comment that a hurricane in Hampton Roads = New Orleans II.

Since we will be moving to the area, can you tell me about your experiences? We have some family heirlooms that I'm not sure if I should move with us or give them to another family member.

I've lived through minor floods, and we come from them mid-west originally, so we've always had the threat of tornadoes in the spring. (Neither of us have had any major tornado issues, though.)

When was the last time a hurricane hit and how bad was it? How frequent are they? Love water, but I'm a wee bit nervous about THAT much water.....

Thank you!
I would strongly disagree with that comment. While there are areas like Downtown Norfolk, Poquoson, and lots of riverfront properties that can flood... we are not below sea-level and protected by levies like new orleans. Furthermore, this area will most likely never sustain a direct hit like New Orleans because the typical track of storms comes from the southeast and hits north carolina before it hits us. Most storms that impact hampton roads will be weakened category 1 storms at best. It is a crap shoot as to how often we get one, on average maybe every 5 years but they seem to come in bunches followed by long dry spells.

Rain and flooding can be an issue in certain low-lying areas and much of hampton roads is less than 10ft above sea-level so make sure you check your flood maps before purchasing a home down here.

Hurricane Isabel was probably the worst in recent years (2003) and before that it was floyd (1999). Both caused significant flooding in low-lying areas. Once again, just be smart about where you live and you will be OK.

As an aside... climate models indicate that this area is one of the most susceptible to future sea-level rise in the nation. Take that for what it is worth, I don't want to open up a global warming pissing match here, but it is something to consider in the long term depending on your personal beliefs about the issue.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM

I think the person's comment I read was just to compare the potential for damages to the area - not that the land specs are similar...

I've been looking at floodsmart.gov and it lists every area I've plugged in as a high risk for flood. Other sources I read talk about hurricanes hitting NC first as you have mentioned. The vast majority of sources view surge as the greatest risk for flooding. Are you living or from the Hampton Roads area?

Which climate models are you refering to? And can you provide the sources or websites so I can continue to research?

Thank you for your help!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 PM

I went to junior high and high school here, moved away for a decade, and now Im back. I surfed when I was growing up so I was very aware of hurricanes.

A good read about Isabel in Virginia, probably the worst we have had:

Effects of Hurricane Isabel in Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A good read on the history of hurricanes in virginia:

Virginia Hurricane History

Old 04-23-2010, 03:13 PM

I've read that information and information from NOAA and a few other sources.

I suppose every part of the country has it unique weather issues to contend with whether it's tornadoes, floods, earthquakes or hurricanes. I just need to get a bit more comfortable with a profoundly new weather pattern.

Thank you for your help!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sHome? View Post
I think the person's comment I read was just to compare the potential for damages to the area - not that the land specs are similar...

I've been looking at floodsmart.gov and it lists every area I've plugged in as a high risk for flood. Other sources I read talk about hurricanes hitting NC first as you have mentioned. The vast majority of sources view surge as the greatest risk for flooding. Are you living or from the Hampton Roads area?

Which climate models are you refering to? And can you provide the sources or websites so I can continue to research?

Thank you for your help!
You would need to be an AMS member (American Meteorological Society) for me to link you directly to the research articles, however, a simple google search of the terms hampton roads sea level rise and climate change will yield some good results. Focus on the websites that are .edu or .gov to avoid the sensationalist stuff. This map gives you an idea about which areas are low-lying though.

Keep in mind that best-guesses dont predict this to be a major issue for at least the next 30-40yrs... but it is something to consider.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 PM

Oh holy crap! That is quite the colorful map and gives a bit of perspective. My new word for the day is upland. We probably won't be dead in 30-40 years either, so we may be affected.

I also need to compare some of the potential areas I've been looking at to see where they fall.

Thank you for your help! I'll take any and all you want to offer.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 PM

125 posts, read 497,029 times
We've lived in several places along the Gulf Coast as well as in the midwest directly in tornado alley. I'll take hurricanes any day of the week. Quite frankly, a person (excepting emergency personnel) has no excuse to not get the heck out of dodge ahead of a hurricane. Tornadoes, on the other hand, you only have seconds to minutes to take cover. I was much more cautious living in tornado alley than I am here.

Having said that, I do still take precautions, buy flood insurance, keep my grab & go box ready (it's actually a portable water- and fire-proof safe), etc. If by heirlooms you're talking antique furniture, for instance, I might think twice, but honestly, you run the risk of a disaster anywhere - fire, for instance. I'd personally rather enjoy my things than worry about hurricanes, but depending on the monetary/sentimental value of your items, you may feel differently.

In general, keep an eye on the weather and don't wait until the last minute to make a decision. Have a plan ahead of time, with routes planned out, full tank of gas, that kind of thing. We've made hotel reservations before "just in case", since we have pets; they are easily canceled if bad weather doesn't become a reality. The tough part about hurricane season is that it mostly coincides with high tourist season, so in the case of an evacuation, we're not evacuating just the residents but also the tourists.

Be smart, be aware. I think that's the best you can do.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times
Lived in South York County when Isabel hit. Townhouse was next to a creek but no flooding. Power out three days. Minimal damage.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:51 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Isabel was only a tropical storm when it got here. I remember lots of family being without power for over a week. We were lucky, ours was back on the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area