Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,929,720 times

Advertisements

Just came across this blog post from my friend Jersey Mike. Take a read - it's good stuff:

Jersey Mike » This Sentence Really Pisses Me Off (In Defense Of The Harrisburg Music Scene)

He basically nails the point that has been made time and time again by me and dozens of Harrisburg-area posters before me: Stop comparing Harrisburg to NY / LA / Philly / Chicago / Seattle / etc. He doesn't phrase it exactly this way, but is instead approaching it from the other side.

So many times, we hear responses like "pfft, if you think Harrisburg has decent nightlife, you've OBVIOUSLY never been to NYC " or "pfft, if you think Little Amps is a good coffee roaster, you've OBVIOUSLY never been to Portland ". This is common both on here and in the real world. You can't spend more than a day in this area without hearing someone lament about how "OMG CENTRAL PA SUX", then swoon about how great Baltimore / DC / Philly / NY / Boston / etc is in comparison.

The truth is, we're a small city. We have just under 50,000 residents. The next closest Pennsylvania city in population is Altoona. Would you compare Altoona's nightlife to NYC's? Would you compare their music scene to Boston's? Would you compare their educational opportunities to Chicago's? Of course not, for obvious reasons.

Harrisburg has a vibrant local music scene. It's not NYC-grade, but anyone expecting otherwise is an idiot who deserves to be disappointed (did you REALLY expect our city of 49,000 to beat a city of 8,000,000?). But it is here. It's alive. It's vibrant. What we do have isn't just good, it's better than what we're entitled to. It's better than what some larger metros are cranking out these days. On any given night, you have very good -- almost guaranteed -- odds of finding at least one act that you can get into. That's more than can be said for most cities our size, and quite a few larger ones.

Rant over. I just had to share the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 59,278 times
Good post. It's an obnoxious comparison that is made repeatedly. Again, good post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area