Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times

Advertisements

In Depth: America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com

Harrisburg gets "livable" nod from Forbes
By Paula Holzman

A Forbes.com article has named Harrisburg the No. 12 "most livable" city in the U.S.

Pennsylvania's capital city falls behind Pittsburgh (No. 10) and Baltimore (No. 8), but outranks Madison, Wis.; Little Rock, Ark.; and Peabody, Mass.

Portland, Me., topped the 15-city list.

The article's authors ranked the country's largest metropolitan statistical areas using quality-of-life measures such as unemployment, crime rate and cost of living, according to the Forbes Web site.

Harrisburg gets "livable" nod from Forbes - Central Penn Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,708,359 times
Not another stupid Forbes ranking list

Nothing against Harrisburg, but Forbes seems to generate these lists on a regular basis so they will get posted and generate cheap hype.

It's kinda like the best party school lists - one year you win and the next year you don't. Nothing has changed but you lose #1 on the "list'.

I want to see a list of all the "best lists".

"the Forbes most livable list ranked number 500 on the list of the best lists"

Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,853 times
I agree with Forbe's list that they are highly retarded. They come out with one like every week.

But Harrisburg and Pittsburgh are always on the most livable cities list.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Those lists are great examples of the fun one can have with statistics. Tweak the criteria just enough each year to get the ordering different so people in more areas will buy your magazines or pay to repro your articles.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
In Depth: America's Most Livable Cities - Forbes.com

Harrisburg gets "livable" nod from Forbes
By Paula Holzman

A Forbes.com article has named Harrisburg the No. 12 "most livable" city in the U.S.

Pennsylvania's capital city falls behind Pittsburgh (No. 10) and Baltimore (No. 8), but outranks Madison, Wis.; Little Rock, Ark.; and Peabody, Mass.

Portland, Me., topped the 15-city list.

The article's authors ranked the country's largest metropolitan statistical areas using quality-of-life measures such as unemployment, crime rate and cost of living, according to the Forbes Web site.

Harrisburg gets "livable" nod from Forbes - Central Penn Business Journal
Yeah, Harriburg and just about every other city in the state have made this list at one time or another...yawn. I still won't enter Harrisburg without a military rated flax jacket on!

Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
After visiting Hackettstown, New Jersey for a photo tour to see if it truly lived up to the "hype" after it was named one of the "Best Places" in Money, I no longer give much credence to these rankings. No offense to those in Hackettstown, but there was NOTHING "special" about your community. I've been to numerous NICER PA towns (Jim Thorpe, Honesdale, Clarks Summit, Wellsboro, etc.) that have never made any lists.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 PM

160 posts, read 639,093 times
I was just looking at the interactive map at the Elkhart Project on MSN. This is a chart of the entire nation, which can also be broken down by state and metro area. Harrisburg has been in either recession or downturn/at risk for most of the last 20 years. In this decade, there were stretches of several months in 2005 and 2008 where the economy in the area was expanding. Otherwise, we were in the red.

Some people in my neighborhood are losing their homes now, and I know people have been losing jobs for months now. I understand that the folks over at THE PATRIOT NEWS keep drinking the Cheer Up Syrup regardless of the facts. Maybe they sent a keg over to the folks at FORBES to get H-burg such a high placement. There is simply no way that H-burg is livable in the same way as Denver -- and Denver is far from being a favorite city of mine

Old 04-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Actually the interactive map is at Moody's Adversity Index.

Adversity Index - The Elkhart Project - MSNBC.com

Old 04-18-2009, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 8,978 times
Default Harrisburg

I believe that when they rate Harrisburg, they are talking about the greater Harrisburg area which is a great place to live in many respects. There is a growing nightlife, nationally recognized medical facilities, proximity to many big cities and a very reasonable housing market and cost of living

Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmax View Post
I believe that when they rate Harrisburg, they are talking about the greater Harrisburg area which is a great place to live in many respects. There is a growing nightlife, nationally recognized medical facilities, proximity to many big cities and a very reasonable housing market and cost of living
The nationally recognized medical facilities in Pennsylvania are in Philly and Pittsburgh, if the rating involves innovative and most effective treatment for patients. Having staff members who are talented in applying for grant monies, using patients for studies, and writing/presenting papers -- while providing mediocre care are not something I'd be looking for if I needed health care, but mileage may vary.

Other than cheaper housing, the cost of living here is not all that reasonable. Since paychecks are smaller here, the cost of necessities that are pretty much the same across the country taker a bigger bite.

Living anywhere on the East Coast means proximity to major metro areas.

Growing nightlife? Is this really the deal maker when someone considers relocating here?

I would think factors like a relatively new infrastructure (like new shopping facilities, highways, and housing), good supply of natural resources (like drinking water) and decreased risk of natural disasters (except floods in some areas) would be more significant. These things are better indicators of the room for potential growth, and lowered risk from disruption of life and business as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area