Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 24,991 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating from Philly to Harrisburg in about 3 weeks since I just accepted a job offer in the area. I'm not familiar with the area what so ever and would really appreciate any help on where I can find a good apartment and which areas are safe.

LOOKING FOR:
1 bedroom apt under $800
Safety number one on the list
Not further than 10-12miles from PSU Harrisburg

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 06:04 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billie2686 View Post
I'm going to be relocating from Philly to Harrisburg in about 3 weeks since I just accepted a job offer in the area. I'm not familiar with the area what so ever and would really appreciate any help on where I can find a good apartment and which areas are safe.

LOOKING FOR:
1 bedroom apt under $800

What neighborhoods in Philly are you familiar with? Downtown and Midtown Harrisburg is where the young professional population is at, but it's "city"...

Old 06-08-2010, 05:49 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Penn State Harrisburg is next to the airport (they used to be together as Olmsted Air Force Base) and the borough limits of Middletown. Right in Middletown Borough is pretty safe especially by city standards, and also a quick train ride to Philly. It's not as close to the Harrisburg city social scene though.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
For the record, I just moved out of my corner one-bedroom at Executive House. I was paying just under $800 / month. That included parking and ALL utilities (even electric). You should also check out The Grayco.

All of downtown is about as safe and hassle-free as you're going to get in any city, especially along Second Street. Downtown is generally the area between (and including) Front & Paxton streets and Fourth and Forster streets. You will find countless independently-owned apartments above the stores and offices in the area, along with a few hi-rises.

Downtown Harrisburg is also where most of the social happenings take place. Second Street, from around Market to around South, is packed with nightclubs, Irish pubs, martini bars, an ultralounge, sports bars, outdoor seating, a few dive bars, and a handful of restaurants. Because it's all so densely concentrated, it's a very different experience than NY or Philly. I speak from many years of experience when I say being within walking distance of all of this is VERY advantageous!

There are other areas of the city that bear examination, too. Midtown is a little more refined and mature. Think coffee houses and bookstores instead of martini bars and live bands. Colonial Park is a little more suburban, but still within easy access to most of what the city has to offer. The area around the Eisenhower Interchange (near where I-83 and I-283 meet) has seen explosive development over the last few years, but I'm personally not wild about it.

If you're in your 20s or 30s, you can't go wrong living downtown.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 24,991 times
Thank you for your responses. I just signed a lease today with High Pointe Club Apartments I believe in Susquehanna Township. It's around Progress Ave and Crooked Hill Rd. I'm hoping its a safe area. The area looked alright but will it be, I'm not sure. No doubt, the experience will def be a lot diff than Philly. Can anyone tell me about safety in Harrisburg, especially places like Susquehanna Township and where High Pointe Apartments are. I know its a lot safer than Philly but worth knowing. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2010, 12:51 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Thank you for your responses. I just signed a lease today with High Pointe Club Apartments I believe in Susquehanna Township. It's around Progress Ave and Crooked Hill Rd. I'm hoping its a safe area. The area looked alright but will it be, I'm not sure. No doubt, the experience will def be a lot diff than Philly. Can anyone tell me about safety in Harrisburg, especially places like Susquehanna Township and where High Pointe Apartments are. I know its a lot safer than Philly but worth knowing. Thanks!
A lot of the apartment complexes in the suburbs have had crime issues lately, most notably The Brook and Twin Lakes in neighboring Lower Paxton township. I've never heard about crime in your apartment complex but I'd take a close look at who else is living there and just be aware of your surroundings.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,923,164 times
Quote:
I just signed a lease today with High Pointe Club Apartments I believe in Susquehanna Township. It's around Progress Ave and Crooked Hill Rd. Can anyone tell me about safety in Harrisburg, especially places like Susquehanna Township and where High Pointe Apartments are.
I think Susquehanna Township is about as safe as you're going to get in the 'burbs. It's also not a bad area at all, since you're minutes from downtown and have the Interstate practically in your back yard. And you're basically just down the street from the new Super Giant that opened up!

Old 06-14-2010, 06:56 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Depending on when you are going down to PSU-Harrisburg (still assuming you mean Penn State Harrisburg by the airport) the interchange from I-283 to PA 283 expressway notoriously clogs. If you are going through at a major clog time like 5 pm it might be best to exit right if you can to head into Highspire and go down PA 230. If there's a wreck on I-83 around Colonial Park it's sometimes better to take PA 230 all the way from the Farm Show area - coming down Crooked Hill to Elmerton turning right then left, but that's too slow for routine evening trips. (I did this for 4 years coming from around the Farm Show)

Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM

17 posts, read 58,399 times
Quote:

LOOKING FOR:
1 bedroom apt under $800

You may also want to look into joining the Harrisburg Young Professionals (HYP). Similar to the YAP club or YPN of Philly, it's a local organization dedicated to helping the city become a better place to live, work, and play. They organize events ranging from outreach, to sports teams, to social functions. It's a great way to get involved in the community, network, and meet new people (especially if you're new to the area.)

Check out their website at www.hyp.org.

Last edited by HbgGuru; 06-20-2010 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: website address
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area