Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 AM

6 posts, read 12,373 times

Advertisements

A lot of good info on the thread by pansygal. I sincerely like that thread.

Here's my question...and probably one that has been discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Has anything really changed in regards to mainlander haoles relocating to Hawaii? Especially as it pertains to haole kids. I guess the real question is.... how are haole kids treated differently now as opposed to 20+ years ago...if at all?

We have three REALLY haole kids (Blonde hair/Blue eyes/fair skinned) that will be going to school in the Kailua Town area (7, 7, and 8 years of age). They do have special needs (high functioning Autism) and I am mostly concerned about how they will be treated by their peers. In all honesty, that is the only concern I have in this move back to my home state.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can prepare them for this transition into their new school?

Also, any info on Autism related programs is also appreciated.

Thanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,129,554 times
Contact the school principal and set up an appointment with their team so that you can start their IEPs and to decide upon what level of help will be needed for each child (are they all on the AS?).

Arrange for the kids to meet with their teachers and to see the classrooms and the school campus so that they have a chance to orient themselves before their first day of school.

It may be possible for a "buddy" to be assigned to them so that they have someone to show them about.

Since they will be in Kailua there is usually a fair amount of Marine Corps. kids in school so there are usually many kids from the Mainland in school.

Good luck with the move and welcome home!

Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,060,220 times
Is that Kailua on Oahu or Kailua on the Big Island? I would think Kailua on Oahu would have more services than Kailua in the Kona district (Big Island).

Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,129,554 times
Here are some resources that you may find helpful:

www.autismspeaks.org/community/fsdb/category.php?...

www.autism-pdd.net/links/hawaii.html

www.allstateguttershi.com

www.pacificautismcenter.com/ -

www.autismlink.com/locations/view/12

209.200.89.252/search_site/detail.cfm?program_id=882

www.autismbehaviorconsulting.com/ -

My youngest son (now 22) has Asperger's and it has been a long, hard road. Get as much help as you can while they are young because as soon as they turn 18 (or graduate HS) all services cease and there is no place to turn for help.

If you find that you have any issues with the services at school do not hesitate to contact the Superintendent.

You may also find this link helpful:

Special Education

Old 10-05-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Contact the school principal and set up an appointment with their team so that you can start their IEPs and to decide upon what level of help will be needed for each child (are they all on the AS?).

Arrange for the kids to meet with their teachers and to see the classrooms and the school campus so that they have a chance to orient themselves before their first day of school.

It may be possible for a "buddy" to be assigned to them so that they have someone to show them about.

Since they will be in Kailua there is usually a fair amount of Marine Corps. kids in school so there are usually many kids from the Mainland in school.

Good luck with the move and welcome home!
Yes, they are all on the Spectrum.

Thank you for the suggestions, we'll be doing exactly what you suggested.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Is that Kailua on Oahu or Kailua on the Big Island? I would think Kailua on Oahu would have more services than Kailua in the Kona district (Big Island).
My bad. Kailua Oahu.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Here are some resources that you may find helpful:

www.autismspeaks.org/community/fsdb/category.php?...

www.autism-pdd.net/links/hawaii.html

www.allstateguttershi.com

www.pacificautismcenter.com/ -

www.autismlink.com/locations/view/12

209.200.89.252/search_site/detail.cfm?program_id=882

www.autismbehaviorconsulting.com/ -

My youngest son (now 22) has Asperger's and it has been a long, hard road. Get as much help as you can while they are young because as soon as they turn 18 (or graduate HS) all services cease and there is no place to turn for help.

If you find that you have any issues with the services at school do not hesitate to contact the Superintendent.

You may also find this link helpful:

Special Education

Thank you for all of your info. We will go through it tonight.

I hear you on the long, hard road. Luckily, our kids have had absolutely phenomenal services here in AZ (Speech, OT, PT, Music Therapy, Hab Workers, Respite Providers, etc.) It hasnt been easy, but the progress that has been made has been absolutely phenomenal. For the longest time, we were concerned that communicable speech would be virtually non-existent in our oldest daughter.

I have not heard a ton of positive discussion regarding services for Spectrum Kids in Hawaii. Then again, I have only heard info through word of mouth from teachers and friends in the island. I am sure that there will be much more to learn from the links you have shared.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: