Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
We've been running at Kanaha beach park but it's been flooded the last few days and been making us feel really lazy.
Flooding and other natural disasters are nature's way of telling you to take the day off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Flooding and other natural disasters are nature's way of telling you to take the day off.
I wouldn't call it a disaster, the road is just a little..underwater. And I'm veeerry used to taking days (or weeks, or months) off of working out. But I'm trying to not do that as much anymore. And no, not because of New Years, but before my excuse was that its too cold and the bike/running path was.. not beautiful. So since we've been here I've been trying to get myself motivated and it's working! The temperature, mountains, and ocean are very motivating!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
I wouldn't call it a disaster, the road is just a little..underwater. And I'm veeerry used to taking days (or weeks, or months) off of working out. But I'm trying to not do that as much anymore. And no, not because of New Years, but before my excuse was that its too cold and the bike/running path was.. not beautiful. So since we've been here I've been trying to get myself motivated and it's working! The temperature, mountains, and ocean are very motivating!
What, you didn't see all the disaster warnings? The threat of a dam failing? The flash flood warnings? The recommended evacuations, the shelters, the incessant broadcast warnings? Over a foot of water fell within 24 hours in some places. You should take those things seriously.

I had a cousin on the mainland who went out hiking in such conditions and died.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM

77 posts, read 213,038 times
Quote:
Don't make assumptions. Some Goodwill sites are great, some are lousy. Some SA sites are great, some are lousy. Ditto St Vincent Depaul and other thrift store "chains." As a matter of fact, in my Google search I ran across a rave review for one of the SA stores. Can't remember if it was the one in Kihuli or Kihei. But it is best to call them first to confirm address and operating hours. Don't make assumptions. Thrift stores connected with non-profits usually pay minimal rent, and often move when their landlords find better-paying tenants.

And btw, I've found those conglomeration sites (for anything) are usually out of date and inaccurate. But a Google Search on: Maui Thriftshops turned up 7 individual shop listings, top of the page, and those are generally more accurate. But verify with a phone call before driving. I've even found errors on the national Goodwill store locator.

OK, time for my best Thrift Shop story. A number of years ago I was living in Seattle, and took a job that required I have a good suit, to wear while making presentations all over the country, so it needed to travel well. At the time Nordstrom was advertising a sale on their famous "shake out the wrinkles" suit, so I checked it out. The fabric was an Italian all-seasons wool, navy blue with small pinstripes, and indeed, you could take it out of a suitcase and hang it in the bathroom while you took a shower and the wrinkles would simply shake out. $700, plus alterations.

I couldn't afford that, but a few days later I was in the St Vincent de Paul shop in the University District, and whoaaaaaa. There was the exact same suit, my size, new, for $20. And right next to it, the same suit in charcoal grey, also $20. All they needed to fit me perfectly were to hem the pants and shorten the sleeves slightly. I wore those suits for years, and literally traveled a million miles in them.

Turns out that Nordstrom periodically clears out the sample rack at their Seattle buyers' office by donating them to local charities. It was a killer score for me, $1,400 worth of new merch for $40, and exactly what I needed for my new job.
Guess where I'm going tomorrow!!!!! Thanks for that story, although it wasn't intended as advice for a Seattle shopping trip, I'm looking for some bedroom furniture for my step-daughter (since we'll get to have her a LOT more once we move to HI and will be in her back yard for a while ) and I can also use some comfy jeans and sun dresses to take to Hawaii with us! I haven't had much luck in my local thrift stores, so THANKS!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 PM

You're welcome. I love to share what I know.

Be sure and look for Aloha shirts. They're much cheaper there than here. I bought one for $4 in Austin that when I wear it here I always get compliments.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:44 PM

77 posts, read 213,038 times
Quote:
You're welcome. I love to share what I know.

Be sure and look for Aloha shirts. They're much cheaper there than here. I bought one for $4 in Austin that when I wear it here I always get compliments.
Aloha shirt? Is that one of those Hawaiian hibiscus covered shirts? I'm going to buy one for the hubby to wear on his days off I saw Anthony Bourdain buy one for something like $7,000 @ a shop in Hawaii...

Old 03-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilmore View Post
Aloha shirt? Is that one of those Hawaiian hibiscus covered shirts? I'm going to buy one for the hubby to wear on his days off I saw Anthony Bourdain buy one for something like $7,000 @ a shop in Hawaii...
All kines patterns, pineapples, surfboards, palm trees, flowers, petroglyphs, but yeah, that's the idea.

What Bourdain bought was a collector's item, a rare "silkie" from the classic days of prewar to 50's. The ones I bought for $4-5 at Goodwill on the mainland are more contemporary, but can easily cost $60 or more at shops like Hilo Hattie's. And I personally lean toward all-cotton, whereas rayon and blends are more fashion forward. Locals prefer more muted colors and patterns, including "reverse out" prints, whereas tourists tend to the more... errrmm... vivid styles.

Part of the reason I think I scored so well in Austin is that many high tech businesses have long observed "Hawaiian Shirt Friday," and blue jeans plus cowboy boots plus an Aloha shirt is a popular look there. Plus there's always been an interesting kinship between Texas and Hawai'i, going way back.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Hilo Hattie often has their nice silk Alohas on sale for under 30 bucks. Selection is limited, but I have found 1-3 nice ones on most visits.

Nothing like silk.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:58 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Show your Hawaii ID at Hilo Hatties and get the 20% kama`aina discount... (local discount)
There is a big difference between the typical tourist Aloha shirt and a dress Aloha shirt, which are often muted in their coloring and what one would wear to work.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
We get them at yard and garage sales for usually between $1 and $3. Nice ones from Reyn Spooners, Cooke Street, etc. 100% cotton is what we usually get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii