Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 08:09 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,364,164 times

Advertisements

Why does Hawaii Islands always have older boats, sailboats, and yachts? I think the whole state can be upbeat individuals who would transform bigger into the Yachting Industry. Is it easy to maneuver among the islands shore lines with bigger yachts? I have over 10 years experience in the Yachting Industry working at St James's Club in Antigua.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 10:54 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times
As soon as you leave the harbor you are in open ocean. 1,500' of anchor line isn't enough to find bottom once you get not that far off shore and there aren't that many harbors or places to go to. There are very few private slips, too, most of them are leased from some entity who can change the rules to suit themselves.

You can maneuver between the islands with the bigger yachts but once you get to the island you are going to, where are you going to moor? I think the biggest thing that will fit in the Ala Wai is about seventy feet or so. Much bigger than that and there's no place to park. There is one or two spots over by Aloha tower and maybe some in Kewalo although that's more of a commercial and charter fishing harbor. Kanehohe Bay is shallow with channels cut through the coral, I don't know how big of a boat you are going to get into there and once you are there, then where to moor? There aren't that many nice places to go to in Hawaii if you have a megayacht so why bother with Hawaii when there are a lot more options in places such as the Mediterranean? Even though we are an island, there are very few places to go with a boat.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Hawaii is a magnitude of rewarding trip. I feel very strongly that mega yachts would enjoy doing year round charter work and summers spend in Alaska coastal water ways. Pearl Harbor learned how to make large dockage spaces in the island shore line. Maga Yachts has durable stabilizers and the captains can learn the best natural moorings anchors. I also think once a Mega Yacht enters Hawaii Islands the name recognition of that yacht would go up in price value. American captains would feel at home. Native Hawaiians would love to see outsiders live on boats, yachts.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:38 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Native Hawaiians would love to see outsiders live on boats, yachts.
The Native Hawaiians that I know would rather see outsiders live on boats and yachts -- in Florida (or anyplace else except Hawai'i).

Last edited by Jonah K; 06-04-2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2011, 04:56 PM

206 posts, read 466,585 times
We don't want or need the mega-yacht industry here in Hawaii; neither our infrastructure nor fragile ecology is fit for it, and resources should not be spent to change that fact.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Aloha,
A large commercially operating boat based on Hawaii Island must go onto one of the commercial moorings. Additionally, a good tender is needed to shuttle passengers and supplies to and from the boat.

If you are seriously interested in discussing bringing a boat to Hawaii Island..I happen to be writing to you from one right now. It is made in the USA and already registered in Hawaii, 65 feet long with a 40 feet beam. It has been rigged Polynesian style with a crab claw sail.

Aboard are 4 kayaks to take tourists out for day trips. It is set-up for overnight accommodation of 8 guests and 4 crew.

Philip Maise

Old 06-04-2011, 07:54 PM

Native Hawaii changed dramatically when Hotel Resort Corporations started to build on the beaches of Hawaii Islands. I think with the right Yachting crowd the natives can learn trade fresh clean management of economic wealth oceans of the world. Heavy populated Honolulu right now is only support based income. Pearl Harbor was big part in WWII. I think the yacht industry can become big part of Hawaiian Native Life. I had cultural change before. I live in Florida and working up in Alaska. Nice built home bottom of the United States in Florida and working with some natives in Alaska. It's all about spiritual conquest. If the natives like you they will say so. I worked up in Alaska four times already.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:20 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Why does Hawaii Islands always have older boats, sailboats, and yachts? I think the whole state can be upbeat individuals who would transform bigger into the Yachting Industry. Is it easy to maneuver among the islands shore lines with bigger yachts? I have over 10 years experience in the Yachting Industry working at St James's Club in Antigua.
Hawaii is not a transient port, its a destination port. Unless planing to go to Hawaii, it has limited mega yacht appeal.

Florida has acces to the whole carribean, central, and south americas and europe. Hawaii has only hawaii. Even CA has less appeal because you only have the west coast where the east coast has massive locations to travel. Thats why the east caost has so many and the pacific so few.

Hawaii shoreline harbor development is limited because unlike most areas of the mainland, all hawaii waters are public as is the shoreline. Gettng permission to build into the water is tough. Most people dont want the ocean and shorelines with docks and slips. Even the US Navy is limited on what they can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii