Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 PM

124 posts, read 431,892 times

Advertisements

Okay, I've been asking locals this one, and all I get is a heck of lot of head scratching: Why does it appear that almost all churches, shrines, etc. in Hawai'i have a wall or fence surrounding them? Some walls are low and small, and some are tall and large. I have never been able to find a credible answer. I have an idea, however I am not sure if my theory will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
Okay, I've been asking locals this one, and all I get is a heck of lot of head scratching: Why does it appear that almost all churches, shrines, etc. in Hawai'i have a wall or fence surrounding them? Some walls are low and small, and some are tall and large. I have never been able to find a credible answer. I have an idea, however I am not sure if my theory will be appreciated.
No different than every house. Everyone here does a rock wall. Its a local custom.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 PM

mdand3boys Wrote:
"Everyone here does a rock wall. Its a local custom."

That IS the point. Are you not curious about local customs? I am talking specifically about churches. They are historically significant within the islands. BTW, not everyone has a rock wall or other type of wall around their property, however almost all churches do...on every island. Go look.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:28 PM

64 posts, read 264,672 times
so....tell us what you are thinking.????...

Old 06-08-2011, 10:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Have you not noticed the sometimes MILES of rock walls lining various roadways - rock walls that were built HUNDREDS of years ago?

Old 06-08-2011, 10:35 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,028,065 times
I was amused when on the island of Kauai the the local jail near Kapaa didnt have a fence or wall..I asked a local and he laughed at me, he said "Its an Island man, where you gonna go"

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 PM

Carmel123 Wrote:
"so....tell us what you are thinking.????..."

Honestly, Carmel. I was truly hoping there is historical precedent for the walls. I have done a very cursory look at the U of H archives and found nothing (I know, I know...I have far too much time on my hands..), however there has to be a reason which supports the claim of "custom" claimed by
mdand3boys. All customs have an origin. Walls around churches are not prevelant on the mainland, perhaps except in the northeast. Is this a legacy of the migration of Christian missionaries to Hawai'i in the 1800's that perhaps continues today?

Old 06-08-2011, 11:05 PM

mdand3boys Wrote:
"Have you not noticed the sometimes MILES of rock walls lining various roadways - rock walls that were built HUNDREDS of years ago?"

Yes, of course, but that is not germane to what initally posted.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 PM

351 posts, read 587,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammasubi View Post
It could be a custom carried over from the "old days". Ancient Hawaiian temples like Luakini had stone walls surrounding them. Chiefs and other persons of importance had low stone walls topped with a wooden fence surrounding their kauhale.

Many customs in present day Hawaii are a blending of the old and the new. Perhaps this is just another example.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM

64 posts, read 264,672 times
Spammasubi.

I would love to know your theory for the walls. My husband and I were married on Rarotonga. There is a jail there with a small rock wall around it (approx. two feet high)and no one left the grounds. We asked about it and the locals said, sure the prisoners could leave the property but it is a small island and where would they go?

Not sure how this relates to churches.... You have me curious, since you say you have an idea. I am not looking to prove you wrong, I am just wondering what your theory is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii