Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The amount withheld + what I owe is what I pay the IRS. I don't get any deductions aside from the standard because I have no kids. No refund.
If you had kids, everything will be a lot harder financially. You'll need whatever meager deductions you can get.

I'm pulling for you in Maui, and I've heard of a ton of great suggestions/advice....but it sounds like your both intent and content with your current course.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
I've been following this thread and I feel bad for your situation, wink. People have given you sound advice on here but your response is only to tell them that nothing will work. And yet here you are still complaining. If you're not willing to do something about your situation, then stop complaining. Only YOU have the power to change it. And frankly, it's getting REAL old. 13 pages of responses here and yet you still refuse to do anything about it. Refusing to get a restaurant job because you're a germaphobe? WTF, suck it up and get over it... you need money.

If I were you, I'd start looking for jobs in Houston and get off Maui ASAP. Take the plane ticket from your parents and move in with them. Take out a loan, another credit card, borrow from friends, whatever it takes to get you started. Yes it will be more debt but at least you will have money to make all your necessary payments until you get a job. But of course you will tell me that this isn't do-able and the complaining will probably continue for another 13 pages...

Old 12-09-2011, 09:45 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
If you have done any research, the economy in Houston is doing better than much of the country. Just one brief search and came up with links to openings in your chosen field:

GIS Technician Jobs, Employment in Houston, TX | Indeed.com
GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: Available Positions (scroll down to 2011)

Affordable dental care? I've used the services with great results rather than pay outrageous fees - latest technology right here: UTHealth School of Dentistry

The reality is it's up to you. You have options - parents...roommates in Maui...roommates in Houston. etc.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:47 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If it's an electric water heater, it probably is the major culprit for making your electric bills real high. Turn it off and take cold showers? Brrr! I hate cold showers, myself. At least turn it down a little and see if the utility bill drops? Also put your electronics on a power strip where you can turn all the power off to them when they aren't in use. Every little bit helps.
Wink, I'll bet you could save $100 a month on your electric bill if you would turn off your water heater after every shower, and turn it back on 1/2 hour before your next. Wash your hands in cold water. Do the dishes right after you turn off the heater with the hot water that's left.

Oops! Just read that it's already on a timer. Sorry.

Hank

Old 12-09-2011, 10:54 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
I've been following this thread and I feel bad for your situation, wink. People have given you sound advice on here but your response is only to tell them that nothing will work. And yet here you are still complaining. If you're not willing to do something about your situation, then stop complaining. Only YOU have the power to change it. And frankly, it's getting REAL old. 13 pages of responses here and yet you still refuse to do anything about it. Refusing to get a restaurant job because you're a germaphobe? WTF, suck it up and get over it... you need money.

If I were you, I'd start looking for jobs in Houston and get off Maui ASAP. Take the plane ticket from your parents and move in with them. Take out a loan, another credit card, borrow from friends, whatever it takes to get you started. Yes it will be more debt but at least you will have money to make all your necessary payments until you get a job. But of course you will tell me that this isn't do-able and the complaining will probably continue for another 13 pages...
You don't quite understand. You see a gay guy with a shaving cut, and that's all you see. I see a guy who has a 20% chance of being HIV+ releasing blood. It's not just that I don't want contact with that guy, it's that I worry about it for months after.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmanon View Post
If you have done any research, the economy in Houston is doing better than much of the country. Just one brief search and came up with links to openings in your chosen field:

GIS Technician Jobs, Employment in Houston, TX | Indeed.com
GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: Available Positions (scroll down to 2011)

Affordable dental care? I've used the services with great results rather than pay outrageous fees - latest technology right here: UTHealth School of Dentistry

The reality is it's up to you. You have options - parents...roommates in Maui...roommates in Houston. etc.
Local applicants only.

I probably shouldn't have said anything about my parents. A lot of people seem to think my parents can support me, because they're used to the typical upper middle class trustafarian that moves to Maui.

Yep, roommates are an option, but only if they want someone month to month, and can wait until March 1st, and can wait a few weeks for a security deposit... I've been planning to leave Maui for a few months now which is why I convinced my landlord to let me do month to month with 2 months notice.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 12-09-2011 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
it's on a timer. I have it set so it's only on for about 1.5 hours in the morning and the evening.
Each time it goes on, it uses lots of power to get the water up to temperature.

If you could live with only once on per day, you would cut the heater power use in half.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Wink:

I've read all your posts, and all the replies. Most twice.

I think you really want to stay on Maui, and get a better paying job.

I think you can. It will just take time.

Work at it. Sometimes if you really believe something will happen, and really work at making it happen, you can MAKE it happen.

In the meantime, squeeze the last nickle til the Buffalo screams!

Hank

Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
You don't quite understand. You see a gay guy with a shaving cut, and that's all you see. I see a guy who has a 20% chance of being HIV+ releasing blood. It's not just that I don't want contact with that guy, it's that I worry about it for months after.
Well when you need money THIS badly, you would think you would learn how to get over it.

I agree with others - it seems as though you WANT to stay on Maui. You aren't stuck. You CAN leave. You just come up with a million excuses/reasons why you think you can't.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:23 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
A lot of insurance providers in Hawaii pay for therapy - you should look into it if you have germ phobia's that severe - and your example was terrible if you really see a gay person with a cut you automatically stereotype possible HIV - you've got issues that probably require professional help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii