Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 16,812 times

Advertisements

I wonder; my daugther just returned from her annual Puna/Red Road retreat. She was wrong about the fatality of a centipede bite, (a rarity), I've googled. However, she claims when the Trades die off, you are covered in a thin, sticky sweat due to ambient humidity. Nothing will dry if hung out in the sun? How humid/sticky is it most of the time, say at HPP?
Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,001,101 times
Looks to be about average:

Honolulu

I grew up in FL which has way worse humidity and things still dry out in the sun, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Daytona Beach, FL:

Old 01-24-2012, 10:19 AM

7 posts, read 16,812 times
Default comparative sweatiness

Mahalo, Snick. It doesn't look that bad, considering here in NW WA in August it can be 100F and it feels like %90 humidity; misery with no breezes. I'm guessing after acclimatizing, and having fans in the house, it would certainly be preferable to the 18F ice & snow that we just had a few days ago, eh?

Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
Mahalo, Snick. It doesn't look that bad, considering here in NW WA in August it can be 100F and it feels like %90 humidity; misery with no breezes. I'm guessing after acclimatizing, and having fans in the house, it would certainly be preferable to the 18F ice & snow that we just had a few days ago, eh?
It all depends on what you like. I moved from FL to CO for the cooler weather, I like having 4 seasons and being able to ski/snowshoe. I'm sure some people love the constant warm weather of HI though

Looking at the temp/humidity it does look like it would be more bearable than a lot of places, especially with the ocean breeze

Old 01-24-2012, 11:07 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Most of it depends on the specific location you are in. If you have a house up on post and pier with vents in the floor and vents up near the roof the hot air goes out and any cooler air under the house comes in. If there are shade trees around, that helps a lot, if the roof is white that helps a whole lot. There should be huge wide eaves on the house to shade the sides of the house from the sun, that will keep it cooler, too. If you are wearing natural fabrics that aren't skin tight, you will be much more comfortable than if you are wearing tight synthetic fabric. Natural fabrics cool you off in the heat and warm you up in the cold, I haven't a clue how they do it. Silk is my favorite but cotton is good, too. A paper fan and an iced drink of your choice can help alleviate heat, too.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:14 PM

431 posts, read 940,138 times
Do your chores early, if possible, when it's still relatively cool. It was 64 degrees when I got up this morning. Now, at about 10 am, it's up to 78 and there is no breeze whatsoever. Kona conditions are in the forecast with vog and Kona (if any) winds so it will most likely be a warm and muggy day. I don't have to work today so I'll run around and get my gardening and scullery maid stuff done before it starts to steam up here.
Then I will move as little as possible. Not a problem.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaliPatty View Post
Do your chores early, if possible, when it's still relatively cool. It was 64 degrees when I got up this morning. Now, at about 10 am, it's up to 78 and there is no breeze whatsoever. Kona conditions are in the forecast with vog and Kona (if any) winds so it will most likely be a warm and muggy day. I don't have to work today so I'll run around and get my gardening and scullery maid stuff done before it starts to steam up here.
Then I will move as little as possible. Not a problem.
I would love it if it got down to 64 where I'm at - my car temperature gauge at 7am this morning said 72 which is the lowest I've seen this winter. I can verify the vog as I look out the window, pretty thick haze today.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM

This doesn't sound healthy?

Vog is created when volcanic gases (primarily oxides of sulfur) react with sunlight, oxygen and moisture. The result includes sulphuric acid and other sulfates.[2] Vog is made up of a mixture of gases and aerosols which makes it hard to study and potentially more dangerous than either on their own

Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
This doesn't sound healthy?

Vog is created when volcanic gases (primarily oxides of sulfur) react with sunlight, oxygen and moisture. The result includes sulphuric acid and other sulfates.[2] Vog is made up of a mixture of gases and aerosols which makes it hard to study and potentially more dangerous than either on their own
It isn't.

Health Effects — Office of the Governor

Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,984 times
A couple weeks ago it got really humid, but not bad overall. In Waikiki and Honolulu it doesn't get all that humid. Most of the time it's similar to what it feels like to hike Chuckanut on a summer day, just a bit warmer.

I moved here from Bellingham a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii