Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:52 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times

Advertisements

Wait, so you knew they were protected in Florida, and your first question about conch in Hawaii is whether it tastes good, not whether it's legal to harvest?

My personal observation is that Hawaiian waters are overfished and over-harvested already (not to mention degraded by pollution and reef die-off). The growing population of local fishermen is doing a good job at that. The last thing we need is for every newcomer to increase the take and deplete them faster. Yes, I'm aware that's a form of localism and could be offensive, but how do you preserve the traditional subsidence fishing and keep the waters open to one and all? It would be one thing if the state had effective fishery management and enforcement, as well as significantly more fishing preserves, but it doesn't. BTW, I don't fish or harvest from the ocean.

It would be nice if the first thought of newcomers was how to minimize their impact on the local environment and respect local regulations, not for how they can take (conch), take (lobster), take (crab).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM

142 posts, read 287,698 times
Default Ok now I'm interested :)

I don't fish, but I think it would be a shame to deny a legal activity in such an appropriate setting as Hawaii. But I don't want the environment destroyed either. So, here are the official rules of the reef for Hawaii:

Regulated Fishing Areas on O`ahu

Very detailed, with all species and their seasons.

You can thank me with beer

Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,614 times
I have eaten the conch "penis" In fact, it's really not its "penis" it is just referred to that as such. It really has no flavor. It is just a clear soft spaghetti noodle that you just swallow.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas the Moments View Post
I have eaten the conch "penis" In fact, it's really not its "penis" it is just referred to that as such. It really has no flavor. It is just a clear soft spaghetti noodle that you just swallow.
Would you recommend Ragu or Prego on a steaming plate of them?
LOL!!! As a first-time poster you revived a year-old thread to share this tidbit of information? I'm sure we'll all sleep better tonight, "knowing the answer".
Keep digging through the "dead files". We are due for some laughs here, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Bon Appetit, and thanks for sharing!

Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Good question. I always thought they were protected and it was illegal to take one from the waters of Hawaii. I belive you can take the washed up pu's or those abandon in the open waters.

What is the natural flavor of a conch?
You know those little round things that clams have (in the shell) (my husband calls them little pencil erasers), well to me a conch tastes like that only much bigger.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-21-2013, 01:43 AM

941 posts, read 1,966,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Would you recommend Ragu or Prego on a steaming plate of them?
LOL!!! As a first-time poster you revived a year-old thread to share this tidbit of information? I'm sure we'll all sleep better tonight, "knowing the answer".
Keep digging through the "dead files". We are due for some laughs here, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Bon Appetit, and thanks for sharing!
Go easy on the "Seas the Moment," that username gave me a good groan. It also sounds like a boat name.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
If it were a boat name, it would probably be "Carpe Diem" which is, of course, more or less the same thing. Seas the Moment is a good name for the dinghy of Carpe Diem, IMHO. Now all we need are a small yacht and a dinghy and we'd have names for them. See all the benefits you get from CD?

Are there even any conchs around in Hawaii? I've only seen clams once and they were very small and thin and in a very rocky beach, dunno as if you could dig them or not.

Well, if folks want to catch food, there's always the feral pigs. Figure out some way to catch them and everyone would be happy. No feral pig preserves, no bag limits, no seasons and what seems to be an unlimited supply. If the fishing is poor, go gather up the feral pigs instead.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:03 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I am not sure how to ask this without being offensive to anyone but I will do my best. I saw on a food show on the Travel Channel where the guy ate the conch penis. Have you done that? If so, why and does it taste good?
I saw that episode! Andrew Zimmern!

Old 04-27-2013, 02:05 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
Yum, those are the same type of lobsters we dive for here. I can't wait to try the Kona Crab.

And we love seaweed, as a salad, and in sushi. YUM!
I thought you were moving from Hilo to the Florida Keys?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:07 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Wait, so you knew they were protected in Florida, and your first question about conch in Hawaii is whether it tastes good, not whether it's legal to harvest?

My personal observation is that Hawaiian waters are overfished and over-harvested already (not to mention degraded by pollution and reef die-off). The growing population of local fishermen is doing a good job at that. The last thing we need is for every newcomer to increase the take and deplete them faster. Yes, I'm aware that's a form of localism and could be offensive, but how do you preserve the traditional subsidence fishing and keep the waters open to one and all? It would be one thing if the state had effective fishery management and enforcement, as well as significantly more fishing preserves, but it doesn't. BTW, I don't fish or harvest from the ocean.

It would be nice if the first thought of newcomers was how to minimize their impact on the local environment and respect local regulations, not for how they can take (conch), take (lobster), take (crab).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii