Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you seeing a healthier economy??
Very Much So 4 44.44%
A little 4 44.44%
No so much 0 0%
Not at all 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 05:55 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,234 times

Advertisements

If you have been reading the paper, you would have noticed that hotel room prices are at an all time high...what is going on? and why isn't reflect in the overall economy, meaning that unemployment is still high (if you are to believe the numbers), homelessness is still an issue and salaries have not increased for teachers...public sector or hospitality? Are we living a false economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 06:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHa View Post
If you have been reading the paper, you would have noticed that hotel room prices are at an all time high...what is going on? and why isn't reflect in the overall economy, meaning that unemployment is still high (if you are to believe the numbers), homelessness is still an issue and salaries have not increased for teachers...public sector or hospitality? Are we living a false economy?
Oahu has experienced record high tourism the past 3 years. Hotels are mostly at full capacity and there aren't any being built. This might have been better in the Oahu thread since you were specific to Waikiki.

If you look for Kamaaina Rates - (Just Google it) you can find great deals, I recently put a friend up at the Aqua Oasis for $100/night.

I don't know what you mean by the unemployment rate - it is near record lows.

The jobless rate, not seasonally adjusted, for Hawaii in August was 4.1 percent, compared to 4.7 percent in August 2013. Among the Islands, Lanai had the lowest unemployment rate, not seasonally adjusted, at 2.4 percent, followed by Oahu at 3.8 percent, Maui at 4 percent, Kauai at 4.7 percent and the Big Island at 5.3 percent. Those islands also saw decreases from August of last year.

Hawaii unemployment rate falls to 4.3% in August - Pacific Business News

And teacher salaries have recently risen.

Last edited by whtviper1; 09-25-2014 at 07:04 PM..

Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,768 times
You would think the government would be flush with money to pay for whatever they would like to pay for. Such as new schools (which I think Hawaii desperately needs). Because the record tourism numbers brings in record amounts of money into the economy. The government then gets a large increase in tax revenue from the Hotel tax (which gets larger as hotel rates go higher because it's a % of the room rate). Plus all the GET revenue.

Businesses such as restaurants, tour companies, grocery stores, car rentals, gas stations, etc, all sell more stuff and expand their businesses or hire more people.

Compared to 2008 & 2009, things seem far more robust on Oahu today in my opinion.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 PM

Whtvipr1,

I was referring to teachers salaries vs. the national average. Also with regards to unemployment...it depends how the numbers are structured...typically the numbers don't reflect the people who have given up looking for work or those who have taken lesser income just to put food on the table. Even though I understand the numbers might look good...why are we (me) not seeing the impact of such wealth on the average low-mid income household? This is what I meant by false economy....the numbers look good....but it feels like the same outcome.
Help me please!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Whtvipr1,

I was referring to teachers salaries vs. the national average. Also with regards to unemployment...it depends how the numbers are structured...typically the numbers don't reflect the people who have given up looking for work or those who have taken lesser income just to put food on the table. Even though I understand the numbers might look good...why are we (me) not seeing the impact of such wealth on the average low-mid income household? This is what I meant by false economy....the numbers look good....but it feels like the same outcome.
Help me please!
Sure.

Think back to 2008. A lot less traffic. Waikiki not nearly as crowded.

And even if the unemployment rate is really a bit higher - it was dramatically higher in 2008 - and people earning paychecks in 2014 is better than no paycheck in 2008. Everyone I know is getting steady raises now vs not so much a few years back.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:49 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sure.

Think back to 2008. A lot less traffic. Waikiki not nearly as crowded.

And even if the unemployment rate is really a bit higher - it was dramatically higher in 2008 - and people earning paychecks in 2014 is better than no paycheck in 2008. Everyone I know is getting steady raises now vs not so much a few years back.
Back in 2008, I used to commute during rush hour in the Twin Cities. On the freeway, the traffic always slowed down to very slow stop and go for about half of my freeway commute. When things got real bad with the economy, the traffic didn't slow down at all, or just a little bit. Some people thought, it was great that the traffic didn't slow down. I felt much differently. I felt that the economy was really in the dumpster since all those people weren't on the roads driving, they weren't working. I could feel that every single day when driving in rush hour on the freeway. I heard similar stories at the time in other areas. Maybe if you think back to 2008, traffic probably wasn't as bad in Oahu during rush hour during that time frame too.

Last November we stayed at the Ramada Plaza Waikiki for a little over $100 a night. It's a 3 star hotel. It was an OK place to stay. We could have stayed across the street or a couple blocks away for 3 to 6 times as much in a fancier place. Sometimes we've stayed at 5 stars places in the past, but only if we have a good deal. I searched again for next November, just to see the prices. You can find a lot of places between $100 to $150 a night that would be OK. When you go below $100 a night, they can become pretty marginal.

But why would you want to stay in Waikiki at all? Staying on the other islands is much nicer, dramatically nicer, unless you really like the crowds, traffic, noise, and congestion.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post

But why would you want to stay in Waikiki at all? Staying on the other islands is much nicer, dramatically nicer, unless you really like the crowds, traffic, noise, and congestion.
You make some really good points...I guess we enjoy the are for the shopping etc. I understand things are better....yes people are working, but are we seeing the quality of life improve. Is the wealth being shared? Or are we just working and not getting ahead because things are now even more expensive that we have to work longer to afford a better life? Thoughts?

Old 09-26-2014, 08:39 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
........... hotel room prices are at an all time high...unemployment is still high (if you are to believe the numbers), homelessness is still an issue and salaries have not increased for teachers...public sector or hospitality?........
The unemployed, the homeless, and hospitality workers are not the ones who are renting the high priced hotel rooms. One has nothing to do with the other.

No one can afford to live day to day for what they spend on vacations. vacations are a high priced treat that are saved up for (or borrowed for).

When you ask about the economy are you asking about nationwide or just about Hawaii? Hotel price in Hawaii doesn't do much to reflect the economy of Hawaii, because it is not the residents of Hawaii who are paying for high priced hotels.

Booked full, high priced resort hotels only indicate that there is a small segment somewhere in the world that is feeling better economically.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Or are we just working and not getting ahead because things are now even more expensive that we have to work longer to afford a better life? Thoughts?
If you rent - that is definitely the case where you will find it difficult to "get ahead". Rent has risen dramatically the past few years due to the improved economy. Renters on Oahu will likely find it a tough go due to a housing shortage with demand outstripping supply.

If you are a homeowner and you've locked in your payment - you shouldn't be impacted nearly as much. Homeowners have enjoyed the rise in the economy the most - with housing prices rising dramatically.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:07 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,042,466 times
I'd think that a lot of the money spent at the hotels in Waikiki immediately leaves Waikiki. The hotels have a staff, but they aren't all that highly paid although the staff's pay would be the part of the hotel money that stays in Hawaii. When the hotels and businesses are owned by folks who don't live in Hawaii, let alone Waikiki, then all those establishments do is suck money out of Hawaii. Folks renting out a room on Air BnB probably do more to keep the money in their local economy than the bigger fancy hotels do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: